Pads Of Feet Red Raw

cavmad

Today I noticed that my 10 year old cav has chewed his feet so badly that the pads are very red and bleeding. We have been taking him to the park a fair bit lately but I suspect its more of an obsessive behaviour. He doesnt have any fleas but I did give him a warm bath and blow dry just to be sure. Any ideas on what I can use to treat his feet? He has actually chewed down to the nail bed on a few of his nails. I am watching him like a hawke and stopping him when I see him start to lick his feet. I was thinking maybe some betadine or maybe paw paw?

poor old boy - def a vet visit for a diagnosis and something to help . it could be allergy - or it could be obsessive . The vet ., and perhaps a behaviourist may both be needed . To chew that badly he must be feeling very distressed/uncomfortable , and he needs much more help than just a 'bandaid' approach .

let us know how he goes :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's strange that it would happen now after you've had him for a while.

Agreed that a vet visit can help find out what it is.

My maltese cross I rescued last year does this all the time. The vet diagnosed her with skin allergies. She got some sticky tape, and stuck it to her paws then took it off. She then put it under a microscope to find multiplying yeast organisms, which is a classic sign of skin allergies. I would suspect this would be the first test your vet can do. If she doesn't have any issues like that, it could be behavioral, however very strange to suddenly happen in older age.

My maltese cross I rescued last year does this all the time. The vet diagnosed her with skin allergies. She got some sticky tape, and stuck it to her paws then took it off. She then put it under a microscope to find multiplying yeast organisms, which is a classic sign of skin allergies. I would suspect this would be the first test your vet can do. If she doesn't have any issues like that, it could be behavioral, however very strange to suddenly happen in older age.

Not strange at all.........it could also be nerve pain or arthritis

Some dogs will chew there feet if they have anal gland issues.Does your Davie have hairy feet ? If so it could be a Tinea style thing where the feet are to mist ,we normally would use canister or even plain white vinegar but it wouldn't hurt to get it checked

Not strange at all.........it could also be nerve pain or arthritis

...or a typical result of our over-vaccination culture; ...the yearly unnecessary C3 (or even C5) shot, plus the a yearly heartworm shot with Moxidetcin ...there is enough scientific evidence that such schemes are causing havoc for the immune system resulting in skin problems, cancer, arthritis and internal infections. Over the years it will weaken the immune system of any formerly healthy dog - still such schemes are widely adopted. Considering the advantage of today's higher food quality we could expect that dogs are far healthier today, however the opposite seems to be the case.

Edited by Willem