Any Dog Shampoo's For Shedding?

danakay9

Can anyone suggest a good shampoo for shedding.

I currently use Aloveen Oatmeal shampoo, though im thinking if i change it can reduce her shedding.

I have a pomeranian and i brush her atleast once a day or every second day.

All opinions welcome :)

Thank you!

Edited by danakay9

If she is shedding within the average for her breed, I can't imagine a shampoo that will alter that.

A change of diet may sometimes reduce shedding, raw/barf/grain free diets most often help with this. But if she is shedding a normal amount for her breed, the best you can do is try to manage WHERE she sheds,and the daily brush - if you are using the right type of brush and are brushing right down to the skin -should get at least 80% of the loose hair.

If she is "blowing her coat" (which some breeds do once or twice a year) then a dog dryer (which blows harder than a human hair dryer and without heat if the coat is not wet) will blow away most of the loose coat. If you have a very strong vacuum cleaner with a reverse blow function that may also work.

Edited by RuralPug

Thanks Steve. Rheneas is a Pom/Shetland Sheepdog cross we think. He sheds constantly and I've picked up some tips from your link to work with - off now to a supplier for some product to help his comfort (and mine)

You have two breeds there that shed & Shelties do a major coat drop each years ,within those two breeds you have different texturesso shedding will always happen & the weather can play a factor humid makes it grow faster .

There isn't really a miracle product except the quicker the brush out the dead coat the better & line brushing regularly with a good comb & spraying the coat when brushing

Thanks Steve. Rheneas is a Pom/Shetland Sheepdog cross we think. He sheds constantly and I've picked up some tips from your link to work with - off now to a supplier for some product to help his comfort (and mine).

Your best response is going to be regular brushing. This is a dog that's a mix of two heavy shedding breeds.

Thanks Showdog and Hares - umm - Rheneas is almost 15, nothing breed-wise or coat-wise I haven't known and been working with from Day-1. A line in Steve's link just made me think 'try that one'.

I know neither of your comments were meant to be patronising, or accusing me of 1. ignorance or 2. neglect, so I have come down from being arced up about them. Just.

so I have come down from being arced up about them. Just.

It's hard to tell what your experience is because you asked a question that you probably already know the answer.

The only shampoo that will stop your dog from shedding is two pot epoxy and I wouldn't recommend that either. So you live with shedding. And brushing and the occasional trip to the groomer for a serious blow dry.

Sorry Bundy but you are wrong, go back to the OP perhaps before re-reading my posts (no I am not repeat not the OP) - I asked no questions, I thanked Steve for posting a good reference link on the topic. Jeeze.

.... It's hard to tell what your experience is .....

I thought most of us with about ten years give or take on DoL had a pretty fair handle on one-another's experience (and could actually read a one-page thread before coming in on a tangent with all flags flying).

Hey thanks Ish for noticing and calling on it, appreciate.

Danakay9 hope you could pick up something helpful in Steve's links - and sorry if your thread de-railed, back on track now, Poms rule!!

Thanks Showdog and Hares - umm - Rheneas is almost 15, nothing breed-wise or coat-wise I haven't known and been working with from Day-1. A line in Steve's link just made me think 'try that one'.

I know neither of your comments were meant to be patronising, or accusing me of 1. ignorance or 2. neglect, so I have come down from being arced up about them. Just.

Thank you for making it another little bit easier to stop visiting or contributing in these forums.

Whilst you may consider yourself a stalwart and well known to all here, your name rang no bells with me.

My bad.

Edited by Haredown Whippets