Raw Feed Puppy, Vomiting

spice_1

Hey guys been feeding my puppy raw ever since I got him and his been doing great on raw but recently he is starting to vomit in the early mornings now, should I feed him something else with the raw? Cheers

how old is the dog?...once grown up dogs need significantly less food

was he vaccinated recently?...or heartworm drugs administered?

was he outside and could eat something he shouldn't eat?...rat poison, frog,...plastic...or did you bombed the house or used other pesticides?

how does the vomit looks like?...foam?...yellowish?...

how often did he vomit and since how many days?

does he still has stool and is it a healthy stool?

His 12 weeks old, he was on antibiotics for he vomiting white foam now his off antibiotics, his vomit this morning had little bits of food but still himself running around playing. His stool been little runny but getting firm again.

the white foam indicates an upset stomach, which can have many causes, e.g. bugs, viruses, plastic, toxic substances, bone splinter...etc.. ABs only work (sometimes) against bacteria, but can be harmful in case of other causes. With 12 weeks he is obviously still growing.

If the stool is getting firm again: that's a good sign so I wouldn't be too worried - if it would be my dog all what I would do is to feed a little bit less so it is easier for his stomach to recover. (A day / 24 hours without food increases the acid conc. in a dog's stomach significantly thus killing pathological bacteria - never needed any AB for my dog.)

ETA: if he is only 12 weeks old I assume he is normally doing several poops per day?...the poop is your best friend :D when checking the dog's health...should be firm, no blood, no or only little mucus, same consistency (not firm on one end and soft / running on the other).

Edited by Willem

Usually 2 times a day but before he had diarrhea I will feed him a bit less see how that goes.

Hopefully a few more seasoned raw feeders will pop in but my guess is he needs to be fed more frequently & he's suffering the 'hunger spews'.

Will be good to see what others say - but I'd be breaking his meals up into about 4 or 5 if possible breakfast, lunch or afternoon tea, dinner, supper (possibly) and a very early morning feed - just to get something in his tummy. Weaning him back to 2 meals a day between 6 and 12 months.

http://keepthetailwagging.com/do-dogs-vomit-when-theyre-hungry/

Cant remember if I know what kind of pup you have - and acknowledge that this could be hard if it's a small dog (mine is about 10kg - breaking his daily 3% into 4 or 5 meals would be really hard.

Dont cut his food back - he's still growing at this stage.

As I said, hopefully a few others will pop in & give you some great tips :)

it is white foam, not yellow bile ...if it would be yellow bile the dog would be starving...

@ OP:...you can give your vet a call to be on the safe side, but as long as the dog is not vomiting yellow bile, and as long as his body language is alert and aware a little bit less food for the next 24 hours won't harm him.

ETA: don't fast (= no food at all) him for 24 hours...that's only recommended if he is grown up.

Edited by Willem

he was on antibiotics for he vomiting white foam now his off antibiotics, his vomit this morning had little bits of food

was this after breakfast , or before?

if it was before - he really needs a thorough vet check - as there should not be any food left for him to vomit up . if he was previously on antibiotics, perhaps the vet suspected gastritis? It could well be that the first A/B was not successful, and pup may need another type.

Another thing to consider, if it's not gastritis is a partial blockage ...unlikely, sure - but worth thinking about.

so - DEFINITELY a good and careful vet check . If pup vomits again ..take good clear photos - to show vet - also diarrhoea needs some photos.

best of luck .

12 weeks old... when was he last wormed or vaccinated? Either could have given him a bit of an upset tummy for a few days, depending on which wormer/vaccine was given...

For the upset tummy, I'd try feeding boiled chicken and rice for a couple of days and see if that settles the tummy down any... then slowly wean back onto his normal diet once the soft poo and vomits stop.

It's also possible that the meat you are feeding him could be a little rich for his puppy tummy - try chicken or turkey instead of the red meats.

T.