Rego, Desex, Chipping Amnesty (Nz)

Scottsmum

There are APBT's and Dogo Argentino's here. Apparently there were a couple of Fila's at one stage that were show dogs. The other breeds apparently do not exist in NZ.

No, the breeds specifically named in the schedule of the Dog Control Act cannot be imported. Australia has a similar ban on specific breeds entering its borders.

Yes I know Aus. has similar / same ban - I just assumed they we're completely non-existent. Dumb thing to assume, I suppose.

If you cant import them - and that includes sperm and eggs - who / how / why were there Fila's being shown - it's not like you can pretend it's not a Fila if you're showing it as one (as I have heard some people do with their APBTs) - or where they here before the ban was bought into place?

Schedule 4 (the one which bans importation) was only added to the dog control act in 2006ish after an attack by a crossbred dog of a young girl in Auckland. The breeds were here way before that. The Perro de Presa Canario was added later, after the death of the woman in the United States.

Schedule 4 (the one which bans importation) was only added to the dog control act in 2006ish after an attack by a crossbred dog of a young girl in Auckland. The breeds were here way before that. The Perro de Presa Canario was added later, after the death of the woman in the United States.

Ok. Thanks for explaining that.

On top of that that nurture and current management has just as much (if not more) impact on behaviour than genetics does. Greyhounds are one of the only breeds these days that are still actively selected for a working purpose and yet look how many are killed/rehomed every year because they're not really that great at it. To then start applying 'breed characteristics' stuff to dogs bred for appearance and suitability as a pet only is a big leap.

Just on this bit - Greyhounds are certainly not one of the only breeds still selected for a working purpose! Kelpies and Border Collies still work in their original purpose as stock dogs all around the country, and working line dogs are bred for this purpose. German Shepherds, Malinois, Dutch Shepherds have working lines that are bred for protection/security/police and sporting roles. There are working lines in many other breeds as well, Springer Spaniels, Cocker Spaniels etc that are bred for a working purpose and not for appearance or pets only.

Edited by Kavik

Ok. Thanks for explaining that.

At least there are no restrictions on breeds such as the Persian Sarabi, Gull Dong and Bully Kutta.

On top of that that nurture and current management has just as much (if not more) impact on behaviour than genetics does. Greyhounds are one of the only breeds these days that are still actively selected for a working purpose and yet look how many are killed/rehomed every year because they're not really that great at it. To then start applying 'breed characteristics' stuff to dogs bred for appearance and suitability as a pet only is a big leap.

Just on this bit - Greyhounds are certainly not one of the only breeds still selected for a working purpose! Kelpies and Border Collies still work in their original purpose as stock dogs all around the country, and working line dogs are bred for this purpose. German Shepherds, Malinois, Dutch Shepherds have working lines that are bred for protection/security/police and sporting roles. There are working lines in many other breeds as well, Springer Spaniels, Cocker Spaniels etc that are bred for a working purpose and not for appearance or pets only.

Sorry, I should have clarified that they're almost exclusively still bred for working purpose (i.e there aren't many appearance/pet purpose Greys around).

Of all the breeds you mentioned a good percentage or even vast majority bred are simply for appearance and pets - working lines are unfortunately are less and less common.

Sorry, I should have clarified that they're almost exclusively still bred for working purpose (i.e there aren't many appearance/pet purpose Greys around).

Of all the breeds you mentioned a good percentage or even vast majority bred are simply for appearance and pets - working lines are unfortunately are less and less common.

I don't know about that - I'd say there are a lot of working bred Kelpies bred! I think more than show line Kelpies. Not all registered with WKC, but certainly on the working stockdog for sale pages I am on there are a LOT of puppies for sale!

This is a page for registered stockdog sales

https://www.facebook.com/groups/644868808923532/

I am also on another group which allows unregistered dogs, even more on there

Edited by Kavik