Ess Trouble At Boarding House

I'm just feeling a little deflated today and I just needed somewhere to share.

I have a 15mo english springer spaniel (from a show line) and since I travel constantly for work I board him with an older lady and her son. They are near us and my dog really loves it there. When I am in the country I work from home and make an good effort to keep exercising and training him every day (or what I think is a good effort, couple of sessions through out the day, but maybe I am not doing it right.)

He has rules and boundaries at home and is well behaved most of the time. A lot of the time when I am at home he spends most of the day sleeping. He occasionally can get hyper and over excited but has a beautiful and gentle personality. I know he has problems with loose leash walking in new areas (he's fine around our neighbourhood) and trouble listening/focusing outside when things are too exciting. I've read so many books and forums and tried to do as much as I can but to no avail (again, maybe I am doing things wrong). Things are improving slowly, but I sense it's no where near where it should be? So I have booked us to go see the team at K9 pro in June as that is the first available spot.

Anyways, today I get an email from the older lady (after I just picked him up earlier in the afternoon and she told me she will see me next time) that he goes to for boarding basically telling me she can no longer accept him because he's causing too much trouble and is too hyper. She said he steals food off their table and chewed her glasses and she is unable to walk him (because of the pulling) and because she is older, she can't cope when her son leaves to go home each night since he is 'disruptive' with the other dogs. I suspect it's because he just does not know when to stop playing and maybe when he is there is much like when kids go to grandma's house? I don't expect them to be training him but maybe it's because there are no boundaries there?

The incidences she wrote in the email just came as a surprise because every time (since he started boarding with them 6 months ago) I would ask if he was ok and behaving and they would tell me everything was fine/ alls good and that he had a great day ...etc so whilst I know he had his 'issues' I didn't know it was so terrible when he was over there and I really wish they had been honest with me. I feel awful. I don't know if this was something I should have known?

I do believe it's possible for him to calm down and focus (I can see it in him) and I'm willing to work for it. Anyways, I just wanted to get this off my chest, sorry it's so longwinded.

In the meantime if anyone can recommend any dog walkers or daytime/ overnight minders near the southern sydney area that wouldn't mind an enthusiastic pup, please let me know.

Edited by Fetchingsticks

Sorry it's late so I'm going to say 1/100th of advice I could give (I have working ESS) but it sounds like a very inconsistent and disruptive lifestyle could be causing some issues. Dogs thrive, not so much on routine (Dog knows every day is different in my house!) but on consistency. Sometimes equals every time. Springers, regardless of show vs working, require buckets of mental stimulation - training, thinking, problem solving - as well as physical stimulation. When I'm away or unwell my OH runs the daylights out of the Springers but it's just not the same. Even the 5.5 year old - who competes in retrieving and agility - gets ratty and shreds magazines. Let alone her 12 month old daughter :eek:

the Spotted Devil has explained things well -

All I will say is :

..6-7 mths ago, your dog was a puppy .

now he is ADULT , and is probably setting his own rules :(

he is away from you /home , and now has the experience /strength to do his own thing .

K9 pro will be the perfect solution for you and your boy.

From what you've posted I do not blame the lady at all - can just imagine what your dog could get up to!! :( There was possibly something that was just the last straw , and she felt that she couldn't do it anymore ...

I hope you can find a walker/boarder soon, and that you benefit greatly from excellent professional support :)

Thank you so much for you input the spotted devil. I'll see if I can work on getting our lifestyle a little more consistant. persephone - I don't blame the lady either :( I just felt terrible knowing that she was having such a difficult time and that I could maybe have done something more. Anyways no use dwelling on the past and better to look forward to what lies ahead.

and chewed her glasses and she is unable to walk him (because of the pulling)

There's a double whammy in here. He's not getting walked enough. And he ate her glasses.

I wouldn't take him any more either if I was her. And the lady that was looking after him doesn't know how to prevent or fix the problems so they would have been getting steadily worse at her place.

You need someone younger, stronger and more dog savvy. Or professional kennels that just don't allow him to get away with crap and keep him away from their dinner and other temptations. He probably won't get exercised or trained enough but there will be routine.

and chewed her glasses and she is unable to walk him (because of the pulling)

There's a double whammy in here. He's not getting walked enough. And he ate her glasses.

I wouldn't take him any more either if I was her. And the lady that was looking after him doesn't know how to prevent or fix the problems so they would have been getting steadily worse at her place.

You need someone younger, stronger and more dog savvy. Or professional kennels that just don't allow him to get away with crap and keep him away from their dinner and other temptations. He probably won't get exercised or trained enough but there will be routine.

He was getting walked by her son for at least 2 hours or more every day. It's just that she said she could not do it (I guess in case her son was sick?) if she needed to? We dog proof our house which is maybe why I don't seem to experience the same issues at home but of course, I don't expect her to change her lifestyle for my dog.

And thank you for the suggestion of kennels. I am looking into it now. I've just heard so many bad things about them in the past (maybe I've been talking to all the wrong people - they've told me their dogs were just not the same, came back sick...etc) and I've been hesitant and that's why wanted a home environment for him. But I am learning now that a home environment that does not give him any boundaries is worse.

Have you considered having an awesome house mate who could help?

I assume you mean another dog? I really would love another one but could not imagine getting another one until I had this one under control :( and it still won't solve the problem of boarding when I travel for work.

In all fairness you have issues with your own dog that you struggle with you can't expect an older person to deal with it in there own home .

I think the house sitter has made the right decision .

You have a dog that has a disruptive lifestyle & a breed that is often very attached to there owners .

Whilst i think dog walkers can be a great tool it sounds like this dog needs more consistency in its life & a better routine of where it belongs & what is expected .

We run boarding kennels & i help show Springers & we board a variety of working & show lines & they all cope well because they have a structured routine BUT it won't change the lack of manners issues which you will be dealing with in June .

Even a dog walker may not walk the dog if its lead manners are not there after all the wear & tear on the body isn't worth it .

So if you do seek a dog walker ask alot of questions & go on a test run with them .

I agree with all these posts but the house sitter probably could have been more open with her experience and more forthcoming with her disclosure, I doubt this all came about overnight. Makes it hard to fix issues if you don't know they're there. :(

I assume you mean another dog? I really would love another one but could not imagine getting another one until I had this one under control :( and it still won't solve the problem of boarding when I travel for work.

No definitely not a dog. A human house mate.

I would note recommend that. I've seen it go wrong too often. Assuming everything else makes having a flatmate possible - you're basically looking for a live in nanny for your dog in this case.

I'd be looking for a trusted friend to take the dog when you're not home, or building a good relationship with a house sitter who can be left with instructions around routine.

On top of other sensible suggestons re: routine etc made in this thread.

I would note recommend that. I've seen it go wrong too often. Assuming everything else makes having a flatmate possible - you're basically looking for a live in nanny for your dog in this case.

I'd be looking for a trusted friend to take the dog when you're not home, or building a good relationship with a house sitter who can be left with instructions around routine.

On top of other sensible suggestons re: routine etc made in this thread.

Yes I agree - I was more thinking of a specific arrangement where someone was almost a permanent house sitter.

(snip)

He was getting walked by her son for at least 2 hours or more every day. It's just that she said she could not do it (I guess in case her son was sick?) if she needed to? We dog proof our house which is maybe why I don't seem to experience the same issues at home but of course, I don't expect her to change her lifestyle for my dog.

And thank you for the suggestion of kennels. I am looking into it now. I've just heard so many bad things about them in the past (maybe I've been talking to all the wrong people - they've told me their dogs were just not the same, came back sick...etc) and I've been hesitant and that's why wanted a home environment for him. But I am learning now that a home environment that does not give him any boundaries is worse.

I've had problems with kennels too but I've always got my dog back alive. And the rashes and things were fairly straight forward to fix.

Someone I know, on the other hand - "boarded" his (untrained) dog with his inlaws at their home. Was ok a few times but eventually - dead dog - took off and tried to herd a moving car.

I'd be wary of boarding some place that was in a fire risk zone during summer but otherwise - I think kennels with good fences are a safer bet and best to get one recommended by word of mouth.

Think it depends on the kennel to a large extent. I know someone who was using a well known kennel based in sydney - every time the dog came back it had hives and really bad diarrhoea. When pushed they admitted to feeding their own food - not the stuff supplied and also giving the dog medication to calm it down on at least one occasion. I'd heard not so good things about the particular place but would never use them after that.

On the flip side I know of a kennel which is spotless, each dog is screened by the owners who live on site and instructions are carried out to the letter. A vet is on call and with in walking distance. They're in hot demand and it's almost impossible to get on their books. You basically have to know someone and have a good word put in for you!

Yes I agree - I was more thinking of a specific arrangement where someone was almost a permanent house sitter.

Ah. Cool. I really think this is a good idea. It can be hard to find someone but once you do - you're kind of set. The owner of the dog I mention above went to a few breed specific facebook pages and posted some "doggy play dates wanted" adds - they were clear - we'll day sit for you - you day sit for us. We can do overnights - on the proviso you do some too... That worked pretty well for them for a while. (Full disclosure - the dog ended up being re-homed it was all too much for the owner)

Do you own your own home? I think lots of people with pets would jump at the chance to house share as it's quite difficult to find a house share situation that allows dogs.

When I was in a share house the resident dog definitely benefited from the playmate and extra training and walks.

Think it depends on the kennel to a large extent. I know someone who was using a well known kennel based in sydney - every time the dog came back it had hives and really bad diarrhoea. When pushed they admitted to feeding their own food - not the stuff supplied and also giving the dog medication to calm it down on at least one occasion. I'd heard not so good things about the particular place but would never use them after that.

On the flip side I know of a kennel which is spotless, each dog is screened by the owners who live on site and instructions are carried out to the letter. A vet is on call and with in walking distance. They're in hot demand and it's almost impossible to get on their books. You basically have to know someone and have a good word put in for you!

Ah. Cool. I really think this is a good idea. It can be hard to find someone but once you do - you're kind of set. The owner of the dog I mention above went to a few breed specific facebook pages and posted some "doggy play dates wanted" adds - they were clear - we'll day sit for you - you day sit for us. We can do overnights - on the proviso you do some too... That worked pretty well for them for a while. (Full disclosure - the dog ended up being re-homed it was all too much for the owner)

Thank you for sharing you experiences. I will start looking and asking around for kennel recommendations. After thinking about what has been said here I think I have devised a way for things to be a little more stable for him until we get the professional help in June and can move forward :)