Changing A New Pups Diet On Arrival?

sporti

long story short: new pup being flown to me at 8 weeks. Due to being flown in travel crate, it wont arrive with a few days supply of food.

Breeder feeds BARF

I feed raw.

Normally, id do a gradual change in diet, adding a 1/4 new food, to previous food, and increasing till its all new food at 14 days. I dont want to buy BARF, as i only want 1 weeks worth of food.

Do you think it will be fine to do the immediate swap?

Neither diet is harsh on dogs tummies. And ive never had a dog react anything but magnificently to raw. But a pup?

Um. I can't see a real problem swapping between the two.

I understand the differences but BARF and Raw are basically the same thing. Depending on which brand of BARF style food you get you can get a small amount (eg Vets All Natural comes in a 1 kg packet - which isn't all that much - unless you're feeding a chihuahua I suppose. It's not really the same thing as committing to buying a 40 kilo bag of kibble.

Anyhow.. that's my opinion - I can't see too many issues swapping straight away.

I'd just do a straight swap allowing for the pup maybe having an unsettled tummy anyway due to the flight, new home etc and possibly under feed for a day or two. You could also ask you breeder to make sure your pup is used to things like chicken necks and wings ( depending on breed and size ) and maybe a couple of different things that you like to feed. As a breeder I'd have no trouble doing that for one of my puppy people.

Edited by Rebanne

I would be buying what the pup is use to after in its the pup that has to deal with it it the human and one barf box isn't a big deal ,I wouldn't have expected the breeder if local to supply the food our puppy buyers are informed well in advance the diet sheet so any issues can be discussed

When I brought my pups home,each of them was on dry food. Each was switched over immediately. With the last one, who is now 4 years old, I bought a 3 kg bag of the dry and when he was 6 months old, I still had 3/4 of the 3 kg. bag left. I gave it to a friend of mine who didn't want to raw feed.

I spoke to breeder, he also said, doing the swap will be minimal change as raw and barf are very similar. And to use pumpkin to solidify things if he gets runny in first day or two, as a natural remedy for loose stools.

never used pumpkin for this before. anyone else tried this?

4 weeks till pup arrives. The days are dragging. Longest 18 months wait of my life!

• 1 month later...

Some dogs, from puppyhood on, will eat almost anything and digest it with no problems. (I have Labradors . . . most of them are that way).

Some dogs are sensitive.

Given that BARF can mean a whole lot of different diets, as can raw food, seems to me that you'll have to learn as you go along. My guess is you'll find no problems, unless your pup is of the sensitive type, in which case you'll probably have problems no matter what you do ;)