Hygiene Routines?

Nail trimming occurs every 7-10 days. Even if it's a tiny sliver it's important to keep them short. Springers' feathers are tidied up every few months. Baths? Is that the same as swimming? If so, at least weekly :laugh:

:laugh: if that's the criteria, this would be somewhere around the 30th bath, not the third! I should be honest. I only did it because she rolled in one too many dead things. When my nose says it is time, it is time! XD

I try to go by the nose too. The only time he's washed if he's not overly pongy is if he's rolled in brown things or if I see a flea. A single flea sighting launches me into "flea protocol" which is a bath and treatment for him, a full clean of the house (and bomb if practical) and ALL bedding & jumpers washed on the very hot cycle in the machine (ours heats to about 90 degrees I think frm memory). (PS - Don't wash squeaky toys at that temp - LOL)

He had one the other day as he was a bit pongy - he's brilliant and white again now. :heart:

As for nails - I do them when ever I think of it - he has black and white nails so I usually just trim a tiny bit off each of them - as the black ones scare me :)

Other than that - we're low maintenance. We leave a dog towel on the back step so he can have wet feet wiped as needed after a dewy morning and occasionally we'll get a spot / sponge bath with an old face washer.

Wow I feel a lot better about my routines now. Mine get brushed every 1-2 weeks (the girls don't have as much hair as Tundra so he's more often) and maybe every month they'll get a wash? If that? When they're clean I let them inside more (not just in crates but in the lounge room :) ), much to the chagrin of my husband embarrass.gif They often have a wash then do something disgusting like swim in the dam icon_smile_mad.gif

Tempeh the shar pei needs her calendula tea rinse once a month. She gets a bit whiffy and greasy feeling. It takes all of 5 minutes and she hates it. Every 2 weeks her ears are done and she somehow knows and wont come near me. She hasn't ever needed her nails done. Stussy the SBT needs her nails done at least once a month. We've been working on her fear of having her paws touched and only have one scared paw to still conquer. I check out her ears just in case maybe once a month and I give her the sniff test when I do Temp but she probably only gets a rinse every few months. I love the calendula tea rinse because it is so quick. I make mine run around the yard till they are dry. No blow drying here!

I have wash and wear dogs which is excellent. The only thing I dislike is the ridiculous amount of hair my beagle loses and when my Mals are in season and find a crazy ass amount of hair to lose.

We have a hydro bath so I bath them probably once every 1-2 months but they also swim regularly.

I do nails frequently also.

I changed up my hydro bath routine this weekend when I gave Wiz a bath. I used a new natural shampoo first, then the Showstopper True Colours shampoo, then a bit of leave in conditioner. Really really pleased with this combo - her coat is ridiculously soft and shiny and the natural shampoo has a really nice lasting scent.

Double coated dogs here - I give a thorough brush once a week and usually little touch up brushes once or twice a week (definitely for my long coat boy but less so for the standard coats). Baths... Once every 4-8 weeks. They don't really ever get smelly and they still look clean but to me they don't smell fresh enough :laugh: Never get a doggy smell though. Nails I do minimum once a week. Ears...whenever I feel the whim! And I scale teeth once every 2-4 weeks. Gonna start up brushing their teeth again since they're all getting on in age.

I try to work on nails every 2nd or 3rd evening. Baths are for every time they roll in poop, or get a bit doggy smelling... I run an underwater treadmill so the dogs are in there a bit too. Neither of them have a particularly strong smell and don't have greasy coats but I'm very sensitive to how they smell! We get some reaaalllyyy stinky dogs in the vet clinic and it makes me giggle when the owners say "oh I love how this breed doesn't smell" while we're rushing to get all the windows open!

I keep a pair of nail clippers in the lounge room so they get attacked at any point when i decide they are too long. Weekly ish.

Same as the nail clippers, i keep a bucket of grooming things in the living area- a slicker, a comb and a boar bristle brush. They get brushed when i feel a mat coming on (and even then sometimes i just trim all those bits short to prevent them in the first place embarrass.gif) or when they have run through the prickles and decide to cover themselves. If shedding gets terrible, which isn't often thankfully, i give them a go over with a coat king and a bath and blow-dry.

They all swim in the creek daily- but get washed on an as needed basis- ie. when they start smelling like pond scum or have rolled in dead possum (Kokoda i am looking at you!) Probably fortnightly- monthly?

Can be less in summer when the rain is more frequent and therefore the creek is nicer.

And they get feet trims monthly because i can't stand gremlin feet, despite the breed standard laugh.gif

evil hound gets hosed off after the beach Sat/Sun and dried with an imitation chamois leather (Shammy).

She gets claws trimmed - I aim for once a month - with blinkblink.

And we've added hydrobath and blowdry - cos it helps get rid of some of the shedding all at once.

Brush about once a week or as needed with one of those rubber horse brush curry comb things with the pointy rubber fingers.

I clean the floorboards daily with a flat mop dry duster.

i have 2 double coated dogs: rottie and GSD. Probaly had 4 baths ever in their lives. But swim most days.

The long haired GSD is a weekly groom, i tend to break it down, with breaks in between, leaving the dreadlock removal if there are any: till last.

Nails, have never had to trim either of the dogs nails as they wear down naturally. Which im glad about as the nails are black.

Nightly, when lounging, and im stroking, i automatically, am checking the dog over, and remove seeds, twigs etc.

Teeth: fed raw, and perfect white teeth you can expect from this diet.

worming day: they line up for their monthly treat/chews.

De flea: dont bother, swimming kills those

De tick: dont bother, they arent around here

Heartworm: dont bother only 2% prevalence where i am

I tend to groom my GSD at training also, training lay down/relax whilst i do this, with other dogs training around us. Its good to train calm too!