My Dog Has Me Well Trained

I've had whippets for years now and have always found them to be easy to train. I dont mean for obedience or agility (I wouldn't know), I just mean the basic commands like sit, drop, stay, and a few others that mine know which just make them easy to live with. Now I have Neko the Italian greyhound who is rising 3 and her little daughter Secret who will be 13 weeks old on Friday.

Neko is very different to the whippets and I have probably made too many allowances for that and she does alot of behaviours that I dont like. Barking at nothing is by far the worst, but when I call her to get her to stop it, if she doesn't want to come in, she wont. If she does want to come in or want affection she is very persistent but if not, then she just ignores me. I've decided I really need to make an effort as I know it is MY fault that she's become this way, and I really dont want to make the same mistakes with her daughter.

Yesterday I asked Neko to sit, now this is a command I know she understands very well, but she just stood there looking at me, wagging her tail. Talk about NILF! She's reversed that theory and turned it around onto me, because as soon as I got a treat out her bum hit the ground as quick as could be!

Recall at the park is no problem, I've trained her to come to a whistle and she's brilliant at that thank goodness, although there's always a treat at the end for her, but I dont mind because that is a time I really want her to come instantly, for her own safety sometimes.

I'm going to take her daughter to dog obedience. I haven't been for almost 15 years, haven't needed it with the whippets but I would like to get a good foundation for Secret so I dont make the same mistakes I have with her mother.

Good luck! One of my favourite dogs in my obedience classes is a whippet, he did an advanced rally this last weekend and I'm always blown away watching him work.

He also does agility! And one of the few dogs to have lifetime membership. I think your little Italian grey secret has tricks up her sleeve too :)

Show them your best!

Edited by Thistle the dog

Good luck! One of my favourite dogs in my obedience classes is a whippet, he did an advanced rally this last weekend and I'm always blown away watching him work.

He also does agility! And one of the few dogs to have lifetime membership. I think your little Italian grey secret has tricks up her sleeve too :)

Show them your best!

Yes, I know of a few whippets who've done very well and have got to a really high standard. Jane Langton-Bunkers 2 Bonnymead whippets and Sharon Sempels whippet have achieved alot. I think IGs are a whole different story though.

• 2 weeks later...

a happy update on Nekos barking. She is doing it less now. I act quickly if she starts and I go outside (with a torch) and call her over to me. I've been reassuring her that it's nothing to worry about, without actually fussing over her. It seems to be working, I really think she does it because she thinks there's something she needs to alert us all about, so instead of just calling her in like I used to, I'm going out to check it with her and then letting her know it's OK. I'm surprised at how quickly she's responded- in a good way. At least we're getting somewhere with something. good girl Neko. xx

Edited by Kirislin