Do Your Dogs Get Sick Often? Hemagiosarcoma On The Heart

SarasMum

I have a 10 year old german shepherd and an 11yo staffy x. They never get sick. Ever! Today Maddison is just not herself. She is very quiet and just not herself. We have been out most of the day but came home earlier and she didn't do her usual greeting of sounding like someone is killing her. She hardly made a sound. She didn't come running but waited for me to come to her. Her gums are a touch pale which makes me worry a little.

I am just not used to them being sick. I don't know whether I should worry or whether this is something that happens occasionally. She has gained access to under our house as we struggled every which way to keep her out and in the end she got stuck under there and ripped herself to bits trying to get back out. She has come out with a couple of cooked bones which I have taken off her as soon as I found them but they must be over 20 years old as we have lived here for 18 years. I caught her eating a rat about a week ago and couldn't get to her quick enough just as the tail went down her gob. I am hoping it's not a residual from that, could it have been baited? She has been ok up til now though.

I suppose I am just wondering whether I just ride this out or do I get onto a vet ? (no 24 hour vets here it would be calling a vet from his home to the surgery).

Edited by SarasMum

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We went to the vet straight after I posted. She was going downhill very fast. She was in shock. They don't know the reason why as yet but it's not looking good. She has some fluid around her heart, her heart itself looks good though. Her poor little heart is racing. We are waiting for a phonecall in about an hour but it might be time to make a decision. I won't let her suffer.

Dogs tend to hide their pain and illness very well. The behaviour change coupled with the gums, suggests to me that something is wrong with Maddison. With tomorrow being a Sunday and it only being 8pm, I'd at least call your vet and tell him what's happening. I don't think this would be an abuse of his out of hours service, if that is your concern.

When I've been unsure, I've called my GP vet or, if out of hours, the team at Animal Referral Hospital Homebush (24 hour emergency hospital). I went to a pet first aid and dental presentation there some years ago, and they stressed that if you're ever concerned you can call them and have a chat, and they'll let you know if it warrants an emergency visit or if it's ok to wait it out until you can see your GP, and what you can do in the meantime (at home treatment and things to look out for). They are so calm and lovely when you're beside yourself with worry, I can't praise them enough. So while out of your area, if you really don't want to call your own vet perhaps you could call ARH? http://www.arhvets.com/contact-us.

We went to the vet straight after I posted. She was going downhill very fast. She was in shock. They don't know the reason why as yet but it's not looking good. She has some fluid around her heart, her heart itself looks good though. Her poor little heart is racing. We are waiting for a phonecall in about an hour but it might be time to make a decision. I won't let her suffer.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that. Hoping for a good outcome despite the poor prognosis :hug:

They called, they drained some blood from around her heart and as soon as they did that she vomited the bone up from lunchtime and stood and wagged her tail. There wasn't a huge amount of fluid which is good but she is still not in the clear. She is just not critical at the moment like she was when she got there. We still don't know what has caused the blood and the body shock so it is a wait and see game. Unfortunately her age is a factor. She has literally been sick once in her life, one vomit. She still runs around like a puppy which is why this is such a shock. There was nothing until this afternoon. Please cross everything that they find a miracle and she gets through this.

She has heart failure. She will get another drip run through then we will go pick her up and bring her home. They are not sure how long it will be before she gets really sick again but when it happens it will be the end. Could be a few hours or a few days. :cry: I will call the neighbours around to say goodbye. She is a neighbourhood favourite.

:hug: Oh I am so sorry to hear this news, I have had this happen to a few of my dogs over the years and it has broken my heart too, I send all the very best too you and give that gorgeous girl a hug from us and enjoy the time that you have left. :hug:

So sorry to read about your beloved girl. They bring so much joy and along with that comes the worry. I do hope everything turns out the best. She's in the best hands and all you can do now is hope and pray for her.

If you remember, quite a while ago, I commented in a post to you about how gorgeous your girls were.

Keep us informed on her condition. Hugs to you and your gorgeous girls.