Do Your Dogs Get Sick Often? Hemagiosarcoma On The Heart

SarasMum

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sorry, I went through similar in February when we lost Harley. It was sad/hard but I remember his last day we had to say goodbye with fondness now. We were so lucky to be able to spend time and say goodbye.

I wish you and your family all the best in this hard time.

She is home now. They think she will get through til about Friday but we will play it day by day and take her cues when it is time. She has had some fresh steamed chicken and looks pleased to be home. Once her tummy settles we might just induldge in some forbidden tasties. We have to work but OH will come home every lunch and check on her. I don't want the 12 yo daughter coming home and finding her gone.

Day by day, step by step.

I'm really sorry to read this. We lost our little fluffy last year to heart failure, although he was managed with meds for a few months. Like Harley, it was so sad, but I remember his last day with love and it's nice to look back on now. I'm sure her last days will be happy ones

Really sorry to read this ... like the others .. I'd say treasure the time you have left .. and forbidden treats definitely sound like the go. I love the idea of getting the neighbours to say goodbye .. that will be super tough, but neighbours would be pleased to get the chance, I think. Strength to you.

Now that a few days have passed and my mind is a bit clear I will detail what happened.

Maddie was fine on Saturday morning, she greeted me at the kitchen bench waiting for her piece of cheese (Sari gets a Claratyne every morning due to allergies and they get plastic cheese each). She seemed absolutely find. We went to netball and OH was at work. He came home around 12pm and gave her a lamb bone. She seemed quiet to him but she still ate the bone. When we got home from netball he mentioned that she was a bit quiet and I checked her out. She seemed ok but a little off, I thought she might have eaten something she shouldn't have. We then had to go to football for my son and were gone for a few hours. When we got home she normally greets us with a carry on like someone is murdering her. She didn't. She was standing at the back door just waiting for us to let her in. She came in and lay straight down on her bed. I posted my question on here then I checked her gums and they were pale and her feet were freezing. I told the OH that we were getting her straight to the vet. I think he thought I was going into overkill but obliged. He had to carry her to the car as she didn't want to move. The vet took her straight in and said she was in shock. She didn't know why at that stage. She got a drip and some AB's and cortisone. Her heart was racing and her breathing was fast.

She did an ultrasound and xray and said there was fluid around her heart. She sent us home and within an hour she had a nurse in there and was taking the fluid from around her heart which turned out to be blood. She vomited up her lamb bone and was wagging her tail. She was kept overnight and a bloody storm came through and she freaked and ripped her drip out.

She has an Hemagiosarcoma of the heart. She has come home for some quality time with the family. She had some steamed chicken until her tummy felt better and now we are making up for lost time. For lunch we had party pies followed by boston bun. Last night she had a quarter of a square of chocolate for dessert. Tonight she may just get herself a chocolate paddle pop. The camera has been working overtime.

She is booked in for Friday morning for her final vet journey unless she deteriorates before that. They have organised for Eden Hills to collect her for cremation.

:heart:

Sounds like the best way to spend a shitty week. Guin ate roast chicken every night of her last week. We took lots of photos and shared a pizza with her on her last night.

SO much love to you all at the moment. Cherish every second.

Good thoughts coming your way SM. Sounds like you are making her feel very very special ... so hard for us .. but our comfort is that the pets don't know or worry about the future .. it's all about the now. :grouphug:

Guest crazydoglady99

Huge hugs to you all and Maddie.

Tears in my eyes reading your post. Am so sorry this is happening to you all, cherish your last week together x

I'm so sorry, this is obviously not what you were expecting when you first posted. :( I am glad that at least you have some time to get your head around it and give her lots and lots of love and yummy treats for the time you have left with her.