Oops

..as well as me being on the ball!

*phone rings*

me: Yes?

the Boss : Talk to your dog!!

me : huh?

The Boss :Your dog, this black Moll!

me: gulp. hello Molly ....

The Boss: Just found her - she cut one lamb out of the mob and had it out away from everything . She is listening, tell her she's a moll.

me: Molly? You're a moll.

*sigh*.....

it could have been worse ..... sheep chasers are NOT appreciated :(

..... *sigh*.....

it could have been worse ..... sheep chasers are NOT appreciated ...

Oh poor Molly. She didn't chase, she just cut out one lamb. And it would probably cost the Boss more time and money to build a Molly-proof yard fence than to just catch her and sort it on the very rare occasion she wanders off to see what he's doing and to 'help' with it all. Plus yet another gate or so to open/shut through the day isn't an aspiration, enough of them already!

Sounds more like a one-off minor nuisance value than anything. Worse if she was into the thick of a pen of feral goats and could be injured, but she wasn't. Or driving a huge mob into the river, but she wasn't.

I'm having fencing and species separation problems too, nothing a bottomless bucket of money wouldn't fix. Special-needs lame sheep is being constantly bullied and harassed by bossy mean sheep, so have had to fence a little field specially for her and her bestie to live in safely. Which means another water trough and more piping and taps. Lost a flying Muscovy duck to a fox last night: if I build a duck yard within the alpaca guarded area they'd be more protected but would resent losing their freedom.

"Doing something about it" is strictly Perseph and the Boss's call on their own property: not as if the dogs are killing wild-life or leaving home causing neighbour chaos, it is only a very in-house risk management action issue.

"Doing something about it" is strictly Perseph and the Boss's call on their own property: not as if the dogs are killing wild-life or leaving home causing neighbour chaos, it is only a very in-house risk management action issue.

Well that is probably something a heap of people thought until their dog ended up shot dead on a neighbours property. And the dogs do chase roos. Unless Pers owns a 1000+ acre property of course that the dogs simply can not get off. But there is still a risk to the dogs/pups from the feral goats etc.

Well that is probably something a heap of people thought until their dog ended up shot dead on a neighbours property. And the dogs do chase roos. Unless Pers owns a 1000+ acre property of course that the dogs simply can not get off. But there is still a risk to the dogs/pups from the feral goats etc.

Or picked up a bait. Dogs in rural areas should be contained..there is no such thing as trusting a well behaved free range dog to allways stay on your property IMO

Edited by sheena

Thanks for the concern, folks.

Everyone around here is aware of the penalty for stock chasing dogs????

Our dogs are usually contained, but recently our 100 yr old yard fence collapsed- and in time a new one will be built. Until then the house acre remains just another part of the surroundings. It makes dog management tricky with no fencing for the first time ever.

Avoiding our sheep, and Roos is almost impossible- often the Roos are only 10 mtrs. from the house and the sheep about the same. My dog training/management skills are terrible, and so we have those incidents every so often ????

Dude you need a physical barrier. You know this. You would tell anyone else this. I really don't want to come on here and read that one of these dogs has been hurt. We have known them since pups so they are sort of 'ours' too. And I don't want you to have to deal with the guilt either.

oh I feel for you, we live with an escape artist and thankfully she hasn't been hit by a car and most of the surrounding neighbours know her and where she lives. Thankfully hasn't happened for a while

trouble with dogs - is "sometimes" means "anytime".

If you can get your training right at least 4 out of 5 times - they will get the message but if they get to go be naughty "sometimes" they will figure that means anytime.

My dog figures it's ok to go hoovering for food in the playground - anytime. And it's not - dogs on lead in playground... and she doesn't check for kid on swing before chasing the bickie on the ground.

So she spends a lot of time on lead when we're nearing the zone of doggy deafness around the playground.