Nsw South Coast, Ticks, Bravecto/nexgard

i've found a few threads on the various preventives and there seems to be mixed opinions on DOL re the internal treatments - trouble is that advantix does't seem to be working for fleas anymore. My akitas have been on ivermectin for heartworm for ages with no side effects and are pretty healthy.

Much as i don't much like the idea of the long lasting internal treatments, I think I might have to go that way.

Any current thoughts? (i'm aware of the internet hysterics - take those with some salt)

Also - given the still warm weather - what is the current tick risk on the south coast of nsw? (Shoalhaven). - unexpectedly spending some time there ....(here ..)

• 3 weeks later...

I've used both Nexguard and Bravecto without any problems but am sticking with Nexguard as it is easier to remember to do monthy.

I can't use Advantix or Advantage . . . they give my old girl seizures. Our fleas have learned to deal with frontline and its equivalents as well as the Soresto collar. So far, Bravecto works wonders . . . full protection for both fleas and ticks in an area where both are awful.. No side effects. I tried to weigh Nextguard off against Bravecto and concluded that Bravecto appeared to have less chance of side effects and cost a little less . . . but these are iffy conclusions cause the evidence isn't backed by hard research. Anyway . . . haven't tried Nextguard.

Lots of scare mongering on FB re Bravecto. Both my vet & repo vet I went to for ultrasound both recommend & sell Bravecto. I'm not in a tick area but fleas are a problem even with Advantix/Advantage which doesn't last the full month. Thinking that I'll give either Nexgard or Bravecto a go next summer.