Warm Dog Coats- Recs Needed

Cosmolo

With two dogs with terrible joint issues and one aging but very healthy dog I am looking at options for replacing their coats for the Winter. Any suggestions for warm dog coats? They currently have Weatherbeeta coats but they aren't that warm.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have Chilly Dogs too, and like them - the one I have is the Chilly Sweater. I also have a Weatherbeeta which is ok but the Chilly Dogs are warmer IMO. I also have the Back on Track coat - excellent coat for keeping muscles warm and my current favourite.

Edited by silentchild

I like the d-fa coats but so many coats don't cover their butts properly - I'd still like to see better coverage even in the d-fas, especially for active or older dogs.

The Hurrta coats look great but I hate ordering coats online - too many times the measurements haven't stacked up especially when my dogs are fit instead of the average overweight pet.

Best coats I have for the girls is a polar fleece jumper that I bought them each a few years ago, wash and wear and cost about $25 each from memory. Those coats are about 4 years old and cover their butts far better than most of the expensive coats on the market. It's an over the head jumper though which might be hard for older dogs. No zippers or straps which is a big benefit as Darcy wears hers overnight. Bowie wears a soft shell D-fa which fits him perfectly over the top of his Back on Track.

I've got the Landa for Zig but really only use it as a "pee in the rain" coat. For trialling or camping or bed time I cannot go past his Hurtta winter jacket. It comes right down his flanks and over his croup. The other option is the "Back on Track" - I have the mesh coat so he can wear it in Summer but they have a warm version. In Winter I just layer the two coats. Great for older dogs or keeping muscles warm for working/performance dogs.

Just saw Jess's post - in my limited experience the Hurtta coat measurements were spot on for my Dally (no pun intended :laugh:) BUT Em is much harder to fit so when I get her a BoT it will be in person if I can.

Jess - the Hurtta I selected matches the BoT nearly exactly.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Chillydog Chilly Sweaters are awesome. My dog is currently in one that's now about 9 years old and still in great condition.

I know other people who own Great North and Slicker and are also very happy.

Edited by Danois

Inside or outside coats - I love my Back on Track coats. Kenz has horrible joint issues and lives in her mesh one inside and has a winter weight outdoor one for when its cold over winter and we are outside.

My Val girl has weatherbeetas but they don't fit her all that well she usually ends up with them hanging to one side or the other. Now she's getting a bit creaky I want to get something better so trying to find something that fits her long body and short legs is a challenge, not much range in this town so might have to look further afield.

I have an ungodly mountain of coats and off the top of my head..

Weatherbeeta - tried a few, thought they were awful. Bulky, stiff and they look uncomfortable.

Chilly Dogs - The fleece was a lot thinner than I expected. There's more fleece weight in a Dishlicker coat, and they're considered fairly budget. Definitely wouldn't recommend. (Bearing in mind I own skinny dogs so fleece weight/quality is something that matters a lot for us. Coated breeds probably don't need the really good fleece)

Dishlicker - Depends on which style you're after. Imported styles are much better but also cost a bit more.

Jackie's - Pretty average but also pretty cheap.

Lil Cracka - The quality is great but the buckles are the worst kind of rage-inducing awful. The price/quality of these coats is very reasonable but I'd not recommend them because of how bad the buckles are. Fine for horses but not for dogs.

Greyt Sweaters - Depending on the build of the dog/s, these might fit and the knit does have a lot of stretch anyway. Pricey but very nice.

Baba Pooch - These are pajamas rather than coats but they're very nicely made and definitely good for keeping creaky legs warm. I'm currently saving up money to buy more :o

Hurtta - They all look so nice but I've never had much luck with them. Got three different styles, none fit my tall skinnies.

Wolf's Den - Was a bit disappointed but they do get a lot of good reviews so maybe it depends on preferences and what sort of dog you have.

Fair Dinkum - Do not age well, in my opinion. If you're paying $100+ for a coat, I guess you'd expect it to look like it?

Cool Champions (they make a winter coat) - Pretty expensive and you can get similar for a lot less.

Ruffwear - Really expensive but quite nice.

Personally, I'd go with something custom/handmade. You might pay a bit more (although often price is comparable) but you get something that fits the dog properly and that's what matters.

Etsy is a good place to look for people making custom stuff.

Weatherbeeta - tried a few, thought they were awful. Bulky, stiff and they look uncomfortable.

Chilly Dogs - The fleece was a lot thinner than I expected. There's more fleece weight in a Dishlicker coat, and they're considered fairly budget. Definitely wouldn't recommend. (Bearing in mind I own skinny dogs so fleece weight/quality is something that matters a lot for us. Coated breeds probably don't need the really good fleece)

I have ... maybe not an ungodly mountain - but too many.

Agree with comments above.

I prefer my purina coat to my weatherbeeta.

My chilly dogs - As well as comments above. I've said this repeatedly here - Scottie pees on it. I hate it - need to sell it.

I also have a dapper dogs - I really like it - it's good for light day wear and as a shower proof coat.

I have some lovely custom made pure wool (Aussie merino) they're awesome. Worth the investment. They're able to be pee'd on too - but we only wear them inside - they're not out and about jumpers.

(yep - we have cold houses :( )

My next one will be custom made too... I think

I have ... maybe not an ungodly mountain - but too many.

Agree with comments above.

I prefer my purina coat to my weatherbeeta.

My chilly dogs - As well as comments above. I've said this repeatedly here - Scottie pees on it. I hate it - need to sell it.

I also have a dapper dogs - I really like it - it's good for light day wear and as a shower proof coat.

I have some lovely custom made pure wool (Aussie merino) they're awesome. Worth the investment. They're able to be pee'd on too - but we only wear them inside - they're not out and about jumpers.

(yep - we have cold houses :( )

My next one will be custom made too... I think

I have two purina/wagwear coats- one was Idiot Dog's as a puppy, the other (in the same size) was bought for the Shitty Whippet as an adult- and they are surprisingly good little coats. A skivvy neck would've made them even better but everything else about them was pretty much spot on.

I couldn't comment on any of the other styles but the fleece vests were great.

Idiot Dog as a puppy, in the Purina coat..

post-19844-0-56882600-1462428696_thumb.jpg

I'm not in a position to make any custom coats at present but here is my advice. I designed and starting making a coat similar to the Chilly Dogs Great White North coat. I was doing double layers - high neck, the top section of coat (over the back) drops down a lot more at the back for more leg coverage (when they are lying down it gives a blanket effect), the under body section (which then wraps back up over the coat and velcro's or ties on over the back) to be as long and wide as I could get it without the armholes being floppy or it being susceptible to being peed on. It took a bit of playing with a commercial pattern (I got the idea from Kwik Sew 3544) and it can be made with a plain and a print. Great for dogs that need extra body coverage but their joints may not allow them to wear pyjama style coats. If you know anyone who sews or find someone who will do you a custom coat I'd be happy to pass my ideas and suggestions on to you (I have the patterns and drawings somewhere!). I called mine the Cold Frog!

http://www.chillydogs.ca/index.php/product/index/30

PS Just editing to add that like with keeping ourselves warm it is about the fabric (type and thickness) AND the amount of body covered so heat can build up and be maintained. How a dog with its entire back end hanging out of an acrylic jumper made in China is supposed to stay warm is beyond me but you see it all the time. It would be like us wearing a mini skirt without thick stockings.

Edited by Little Gifts

How a dog with its entire back end hanging out of an acrylic jumper made in China is supposed to stay warm is beyond me but you see it all the time. It would be like us wearing a mini skirt without thick stockings.

That's pretty much why we only use our WB as a rain coat on walks these days :(

Not sure how Scottie would look in a mini-skirt.

I'm not in a position to make any custom coats at present but here is my advice. I designed and starting making a coat similar to the Chilly Dogs Great White North coat. I was doing double layers - high neck, the top section of coat (over the back) drops down a lot more at the back for more leg coverage (when they are lying down it gives a blanket effect), the under body section (which then wraps back up over the coat and velcro's or ties on over the back) to be as long and wide as I could get it without the armholes being floppy or it being susceptible to being peed on. It took a bit of playing with a commercial pattern (I got the idea from Kwik Sew 3544) and it can be made with a plain and a print. Great for dogs that need extra body coverage but their joints may not allow them to wear pyjama style coats. If you know anyone who sews or find someone who will do you a custom coat I'd be happy to pass my ideas and suggestions on to you (I have the patterns and drawings somewhere!). I called mine the Cold Frog!

http://www.chillydogs.ca/index.php/product/index/30

PS Just editing to add that like with keeping ourselves warm it is about the fabric (type and thickness) AND the amount of body covered so heat can build up and be maintained. How a dog with its entire back end hanging out of an acrylic jumper made in China is supposed to stay warm is beyond me but you see it all the time. It would be like us wearing a mini skirt without thick stockings.

I dunno, I like the idea of vests for when the weather is a bit cool but not cold enough for a real coat* . I think some coats are marketed as being suitable for things they aren't though, and that's the problem. I was reading through the details for the Chilly Dog fleece coats I have and the recommended temperature range for them.. down to -5oC. Yet I'm loath to use them even as house coats (in a house with pretty decent heating) because they're just too thin. I imagine if you put one of those coats on a greyhound and chucked it outside in -5oC, you'd have a greyhound-shaped ice block pretty quickly. They certainly look like they cover the bum but that doesn't make them warm and definitely doesn't make them suitable for subzero weather.

Sort of like us wearing a onesie made out of tissue paper :p

*my dogs also have t-shirts for almost-warm-enough-to-be-naked-but-not-quite though so maybe that's just me. I guess I worry a lot about how warm they are :/

The weight of Chillydog might be light but they are certainly warm. I have a dog that feels the cold here and on single digit nights, he's very warm - to the point I put my hands under the coat to warm them up. These are coats made for Canadian weather!

If you want handmade then look at D&D Dog Coats on FB. Meg was/ is a Doler.

I wonder if the Chilly Dog coats are made from a thermal but lightweight fibres rather than the usual fleece? Lots of travel gear for humans now has special properties. Weighs nothing and packs to be quite small. I haven't got time to check on my phone but I wouldn't be surprised.

Who knows. I've used them and found they weren't enough without having to also put pajamas on the dogs under the coats. My overall impression was that the quality was pretty average for the price and that there are better coats out there.

I actually have a couple of D&D coats from Meg and they were much better quality so I'd recommend the D&D coats over Chilly Dog.