Warm Dog Coats- Recs Needed

Cosmolo

I like to support locally made so a vote for D-fa coats from me.

I have a hand made double layer fleece coat for Elsie that I bought from a whippet person here which is lovely and warm and covers everything, Elsie wears it as pjs at night.

I used to have a hurrta coat but sold it as the fit wasn't that great and it kept sliding off her butt.

Elsie also has a back on track coat which she wears sometimes, but I feel like it's super uncomfortable through the chest when she is lying down, it's really restrictive... so she doesn't sleep in that one

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The problem I find with any commercially made coats is their lack of sizing options. They're all made for "rounder" body types so I always struggled finding a decent fit for my boy Zeus. He's quite long in body but built like a whippet shape and in order to get the body length right, I need to go up in coat size, which means the coat ends up being too big around the middle.

That's why I really liked the idea of the WeatherBeeta because they have adjustable belly straps but like so many others have commented already, I've found them to be quite stiff, bulky and just uncomfortable looking. I eventually ended up buying some fleece ones from Pet Barn and stitching extra Velcro on the belly strap so I could get a nice snug fit. He loves it during winter; I say "where's your warms?" and he stands ready to have the coat put on.

I like to support locally made so a vote for D-fa coats from me.

I have a hand made double layer fleece coat for Elsie that I bought from a whippet person here which is lovely and warm and covers everything, Elsie wears it as pjs at night.

I used to have a hurrta coat but sold it as the fit wasn't that great and it kept sliding off her butt.

Elsie also has a back on track coat which she wears sometimes, but I feel like it's super uncomfortable through the chest when she is lying down, it's really restrictive... so she doesn't sleep in that one

Oh. Those D-fa coats look awesome.

The problem I find with any commercially made coats is their lack of sizing options. They're all made for "rounder" body types so I always struggled finding a decent fit for my boy Zeus. He's quite long in body but built like a whippet shape and in order to get the body length right, I need to go up in coat size, which means the coat ends up being too big around the middle.

That's why I really liked the idea of the WeatherBeeta because they have adjustable belly straps but like so many others have commented already, I've found them to be quite stiff, bulky and just uncomfortable looking. I eventually ended up buying some fleece ones from Pet Barn and stitching extra Velcro on the belly strap so I could get a nice snug fit. He loves it during winter; I say "where's your warms?" and he stands ready to have the coat put on.

This is the problem I have with Fern. Coats would fit if she was built like an ottoman, but because she is so fine, they don't come close. She has a couple of hand knitted ones. Will check out D-fa

Fergus has had his Chilly Dog coat for about 8 years and it is still going strong and in great condition. I love that it is waterproof too. I find it gets very roasty-toasty.

Haha, I really like the bunting one.

That's the one that caught my eye! I was even thinking it had a nice long turtle neck collar. :laugh:

I checked them out to see if I could alter them, but the top ones looked too small and the bottom ones too big.

I think little Secret needs a bunting jumper though. *pages Kirislin*

Edited by Papillon Kisses

I think I might need to take the dogs somewhere to try them on rather than buy online. My dogs are all such different shapes, I'm a bit worried about ordering some of the more expensive online coats because I'm not sure of the fit.

Anyone know any good places in south east Melbourne with a good range of coats?

I think I might need to take the dogs somewhere to try them on rather than buy online. My dogs are all such different shapes, I'm a bit worried about ordering some of the more expensive online coats because I'm not sure of the fit.

Anyone know any good places in south east Melbourne with a good range of coats?

If you're interested in Back on Track contact Nikki at Aussie Agility. I'm having Em fitted on Saturday at an agility trial.

I just dug out a coat for my old girl(15+) that is sheepskin on the inside and Drizabone on the outside. She was out sleeping in the rain this morning but as warm and snug as a bug in a rug - amazing!

Unfortunately, I can't remember where I got it

Edited by JRG

Last year I got coats for mine from Tuff Dog Coats - looks like they have had a name change to: alphadogcoats.com.au

They were very helpful.

Edited by kamuzz

I bought this cute knitted jumper for Lulu she was less than impressed, it looks a bit small for her, I was tossing up whether to take it back but I'm away for a month now so will have to deal with it when I get back.

B65328EA-51C2-4C5E-912B-29693244EAFF.jpg

I also got this coat which fits better, she's not overly keen on the neck part seems to like it better with it turned down.

AE09865D-1223-429D-B514-2BD3628964A4.jpg

4110B06F-17AD-4F9C-8699-F474C8D97D59.jpg

You should be able to stretch out the first one a bit give it looks like a wool and synthetic blend. I'd stuff a couple of jackets or something in it and let it sit stretching a bit for a a few days. Worth a try anyway if it's too late to take it back...

You should be able to stretch out the first one a bit give it looks like a wool and synthetic blend. I'd stuff a couple of jackets or something in it and let it sit stretching a bit for a a few days. Worth a try anyway if it's too late to take it back...

First one looks like its got a tail band / crupper/crouper (how ever you want to spell it) maybe she doesn't like having it up her bum :)