Dogs Jaw Lock

sheena

For starters, I don't want this thread to become a "Bull Basher". I realise that Bull Breeds being able to "lock" their jaws is just a myth, brought about by the fact that they have such strong jaws.

The reason I ask, is because a friend of mine was walking her little dog along the footpath, not far from her home,when her dog was set upon by an unattended Bull breed dog. From the description it sounds like it was probably a Bull Terrier. In her effort to save her little guy, she was knocked to the ground & broke her arm & has very severe bruising. She is in hospital & so is her little mate, though it is doubtful he will survive. :(

She said "it was one of those bull breeds that lock their jaws" Someone came to her aid & between them they couldn't get the dog to open its jaws. I am not sure how they eventually got the little guy out of its mouth or what happened to the offender. I have only spoken to her briefly as she was to distraught to talk (understandably)..it must have been horrifying for her.

Question is...what can you do to get these dogs (or any large powerful dog) to open its jaws & let go, or how do you fight them off :(

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No they can't lock their jaw, its just they have amazing power.

I was told this once.

Lift the aggressor by the back legs, where their power is, and away from the bitey end, and don't let go, even if they release the other dog.

If this doesn't work, get a second person to loop something around its neck and choke it out at the same time.

Not sure if this is still the protocol for doing it.

I was on a group today where there was a video of a pitbull savaging a GSD pup (adolescent), they seemed to be saying that in that situation the only way to get them to let go is a break stick? No idea what that is, and it seems you need to know how to use it... eek1.gif

My SIL got a SBT X Mastiff icon_smile_mad.gif to let go of my Aussie Robo by just booting it in the head while wearing gumboots (but that was in the first few moments he grabbed on).

Edited by Scootaloo

When our two bitches have fought (German Shepherds so not a similar breed), we've always separated them by grabbing their hind legs and pulling them backwards.

However, their fights have never resulted in serious injury. I'm sure when one dog is trying to kill the other, this makes a difference as to how difficult they are to separate. You also still have to be careful they don't swing around and bite you. I nearly got nailed by one of the bitches, and it was only that she stopped herself once she realised it was me.

I probably wouldn't want to put myself anywhere near the mouth of either dog, so prising jaws open etc. would have to be a pretty last resort for me.

Personally I've always wondered if hitting the attacking dog over the head hard, with a heavy object like a rock, would be enough to stop the attack. Seems like when you do something like kick or scream at the dogs it just riles them up more, but I wonder if a whack over the head hard enough to do some damage would be enough.

If you have a water bottle (with water) you can try to let the water run into his mouth ...he will likely cough as dog's will have trouble keeping the trachea locked for longer...if there is a water hose close by: even better. Obviously this works only if you have enough force to lift the attacking dog or reduce his movements at least. Other fluids (milk, diesel... ketchup...) will do the same trick ...

If it is a bigger dog showing such aggressive behaviour I wouldn't hesitate to use a pocket knife and cut his throat.

Scootaloo, my understanding of a break stick is that it's a stick (broom handle.. whatever you've got) that you shove sideways through the dog's mouth to prise open its jaws. I'm not sure how easy it would be to do after seeing how fast the dogs moved when Justice was attacked by a staffy. Even if I hadn't been frozen in shock, there's no way I could have gotten something like that in the other dog's mouth.

Oh ok, that's different to what I was imagining! I thought it was a special kind of stick that you smack them with somehow...for some reason. Yeah for sure, that would definitely require some skill. And presence of mind (difficult if it's your dog being attacked icon_smile_mad.gif ).

I know a bullet would do the trick pretty quickly but it's not very legal to be walking around with a gun. eek1.gif (for good reason!)

I've used a breaking stick. Was much easier to get them apart then when I didn't have one. That time I ended dragging the dogs to a door and slamming the door shut between / on them.

The biggest thing with dog fights is stepping back and finding the right moment to jump in and get them apart. With bull breeds I've found you need to wait till they have a good grip, if you jump in when they are snapping you will get hurt

I understand how stressful that is - that is what happened with Zoe, a bull breed clamped on and wouldn't let go! Was super scary, I'm not even sure what made him let go in the end, I was sure he was going to kill her :(

I just spoke to her & the good news is that the little guy is home & has just wagged his tail. He hasn't eaten or gone to the toilet, so she is taking him in for an ultrasound. Obviously was'nt a Bull terrier, more a Mastif x as she said it was the biggest dog she had ever seen & would have weighed about 50 kilos...so all she could do was jump on it's back & try to strangle it, while also trying to get it to open it's jaws. Eventually it dropped her dog & the friend with her quickly put it over a fence. The dog has been taken t the pound.

I just spoke to her & the good news is that the little guy is home & has just wagged his tail. He hasn't eaten or gone to the toilet, so she is taking him in for an ultrasound. Obviously was'nt a Bull terrier, more a Mastif x as she said it was the biggest dog she had ever seen & would have weighed about 50 kilos...so all she could do was jump on it's back & try to strangle it, while also trying to get it to open it's jaws. Eventually it dropped her dog & the friend with her quickly put it over a fence. The dog has been taken t the pound.

...to take on a 50 kg mastiff x that's brave, good on her and she definitely saved her dog's life.

While I don't condone any type of cruelty if stuck in this situation a good boot in the gut usually makes most dogs let go even the bull breeds. I've been in this position a couple of times over the years and its always worked.

Just rember if having to use excessive force both dogs should be seen by a vet, even of you don't feel sorry for the other dog it is still a victim.

...to take on a 50 kg mastiff x that's brave, good on her and she definitely saved her dog's life.

great news :)

While I don't condone any type of cruelty if stuck in this situation a good boot in the gut usually makes most dogs let go even the bull breeds. I've been in this position a couple of times over the years and its always worked.

Just rember if having to use excessive force both dogs should be seen by a vet, even of you don't feel sorry for the other dog it is still a victim.

It really depends. I had a dog grab my old dog years ago, dad hit it over the head with a huge lump of wood and it broke the wood, dog didn't even notice it.