Dogs Jaw Lock

sheena

While I don't condone any type of cruelty if stuck in this situation a good boot in the gut usually makes most dogs let go even the bull breeds. I've been in this position a couple of times over the years and its always worked.

Just rember if having to use excessive force both dogs should be seen by a vet, even of you don't feel sorry for the other dog it is still a victim.

...as long as you are not Chuck Norris or Jacky Chan (and they are quite old in the meanwhile too) I wouldn't recommend this for dogs over 30 kg...if an aggressive dog is in this stage he won't let go easily, and if, the next target could be your boot / leg.

Edited by Willem

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the trick with the fire extinguisher could be handy...especially if it is one with a hose extension...

the second email in this LEERBURG link however made me shake my head:

I instantly knew I would have to act fast to save Chopper. I called my fiance, then 911 about the fight that was now raging. I moved my son's stroller out of the way, then (unwisely) began kicking and hitting the pit to try to knock him off of my dog. My fiance got there within a minute of my call, and he instantly jumped into the fight. The pit turned his attention from Chopper long enough to grab my fiance's hand and crush 4 bones.

In that second, I started thinking clearly. I knew in my car I had a gun, and I raced to the car, grabbed it, and put 2 rounds into the pit's skull.

geez, she was fast...

While I don't condone any type of cruelty if stuck in this situation a good boot in the gut usually makes most dogs let go even the bull breeds. I've been in this position a couple of times over the years and its always worked.

Just rember if having to use excessive force both dogs should be seen by a vet, even of you don't feel sorry for the other dog it is still a victim.

Well I guess it is up to the owner of the attacking dog to take it to the vet. No way would the good samaritan that drove her & her buddy to the vets about to bundle the other dog in the car too. If it were my dog being attacked, I would use any measures to rescue my dog & if that meant causing great injury to the offender, then so be it. It is amazing how, when put into a life or death situation, how adrenalin kicks in & you seem to suddenly have great strength. I had a friend who's horse got its back legs stuck down a cattle grid & her husband literally lifted the horse out of the grid....to this day he doesn't know where the strength came from.

What an awful situation.

When a dog (any dog) has bitten and is holding on (as all dogs that are truly serious about hurting another dog do), I find the best possible way to get them to let go is to cut off their air supply. Loop the leash under it's neck, thread the clip through the handle, and pull up and aim to get front feet off the ground (may not be possible with a 50kg). Keep the hold and wait. Dog will eventually let go in an attempt to breathe.

A break stick or cut their air off. Soubds horrendous but often bullbreeds have elongated soft palates. It can be fairly easy to cut off their air if they have a collar on (if you can hold on of course) and they will either pass out or open their mouth in an attempt to take a breathe. In those few moments you can extract the dog.

I am very sorry for what your friend has been through. So horrendous. I haven't got to the bottom of the posts yet but I hope her dog is okay and I hope she heals quickly.

I just spoke to her & the good news is that the little guy is home & has just wagged his tail. He hasn't eaten or gone to the toilet, so she is taking him in for an ultrasound. Obviously was'nt a Bull terrier, more a Mastif x as she said it was the biggest dog she had ever seen & would have weighed about 50 kilos...so all she could do was jump on it's back & try to strangle it, while also trying to get it to open it's jaws. Eventually it dropped her dog & the friend with her quickly put it over a fence. The dog has been taken t the pound.

...to take on a 50 kg mastiff x that's brave, good on her and she definitely saved her dog's life.

Amazingly brave.

Scootaloo, my understanding of a break stick is that it's a stick (broom handle.. whatever you've got) that you shove sideways through the dog's mouth to prise open its jaws. I'm not sure how easy it would be to do after seeing how fast the dogs moved when Justice was attacked by a staffy. Even if I hadn't been frozen in shock, there's no way I could have gotten something like that in the other dog's mouth.

Oh ok, that's different to what I was imagining! I thought it was a special kind of stick that you smack them with somehow...for some reason. Yeah for sure, that would definitely require some skill. And presence of mind (difficult if it's your dog being attacked icon_smile_mad.gif ).

I know a bullet would do the trick pretty quickly but it's not very legal to be walking around with a gun. eek1.gif (for good reason!)

I don't know if it would. Usually when dogs fight they move incredibly quickly. I don't know how anyone manages to grab their legs let alone accurately aim a gun at one of them.

I just spoke to her & the good news is that the little guy is home & has just wagged his tail. He hasn't eaten or gone to the toilet, so she is taking him in for an ultrasound. Obviously was'nt a Bull terrier, more a Mastif x as she said it was the biggest dog she had ever seen & would have weighed about 50 kilos...so all she could do was jump on it's back & try to strangle it, while also trying to get it to open it's jaws. Eventually it dropped her dog & the friend with her quickly put it over a fence. The dog has been taken t the pound.

So glad he is home Sheena.

such a terrible ordeal for both dog and owner :(

Edited by raineth

I've seen a small entire older SBT-type take on a young Boxer in the muzzle/neck with four people trying to get them apart. They tried water in the face (from a bottle though, we were in a park), wheelbarrowing (the little dog held on so hard they were just about lifting the big dog by the face, and nobody wanted to pull in case it did more damage), the 'finger up the bum'. Nobody could get in close to the mouths and necks to cut off air supply and the little dog wasn't wearing a collar. The only thing that seemed to work eventually was whacking the little one hard around the chest/abdomen by one person while it was held up in the air by the hind legs by another person. Longest couple of minutes at a park I've ever had - and I was on the other side of an oval holding back mine because they wanted to see what the fuss was about.

Boxer had some very nasty puncture wounds.

A mini bull terrier ran out of an open fence and grabbed Nova when he was a puppy. The two male owners were booting the dog in the head and it was still clamped down. It was such a blur I didn't see what made it eventually let go.

Katdogs eek1.gif gosh that's terrifying!

I like to think that if I were ever in the situation the other dog wouldn't get off lightly, it is in no way a victim even if injured IMO. No dog living in suburbia should be allowed in that situation or ever get away with it.

If any dog attacked my dog like that I'd use any weapon I could get my hands on and wouldn't stop until the attacker was dead. After the video I saw this morning though I am feeling exceptionally hostile toward this type of dog.

Edited by Scootaloo

...as long as you are not Chuck Norris or Jacky Chan (and they are quite old in the meanwhile too) I wouldn't recommend this for dogs over 30 kg...if an aggressive dog is in this stage he won't let go easily, and if, the next target could be your boot / leg.

Are you a troll?

In actual fact before having little dogs I owned bull breeds, so does my mum and a few friends. I have dealt with fights on multiple occasions, one involving my American Bulldog and Mini Poodle. The gut is a sensitive spot and even the toughest dogs will stop in their tracks if kicked hard, much safer option than puting your hands anywhere near the dog, generally how most people get bitten when trying to separate dogs.

Don't even waste time whacking a bull breed in the head it's the toughest part of the dog.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

Well I guess it is up to the owner of the attacking dog to take it to the vet. No way would the good samaritan that drove her & her buddy to the vets about to bundle the other dog in the car too. If it were my dog being attacked, I would use any measures to rescue my dog & if that meant causing great injury to the offender, then so be it. It is amazing how, when put into a life or death situation, how adrenalin kicks in & you seem to suddenly have great strength. I had a friend who's horse got its back legs stuck down a cattle grid & her husband literally lifted the horse out of the grid....to this day he doesn't know where the strength came from.

I wasn't implying to take the dog to the vet but to make sure the owner, ranger or whoever else ends up with the dog knows it could potentially be injured.

I would air block the dog (lifting and twisting their collar is usually an easy way to do this) in an emergency situation like that. Once air is cut off, they will let go, they have to, it doesn't take long.

I like to think that if I were ever in the situation the other dog wouldn't get off lightly, it is in no way a victim even if injured IMO. No dog living in suburbia should be allowed in that situation or ever get away with it.

If any dog attacked my dog like that I'd use any weapon I could get my hands on and wouldn't stop until the attacker was dead. After the video I saw this morning though I am feeling exceptionally hostile toward this type of dog.

So would you take the same action if another type of dog seriously attacked yours as described as KatDogs, or only if ' this type' of dog did? You know that all types of dogs can and do attack, and do so seriously?

It is always disappointing to see someone on a dog forum openly stating they are hostile towards types of dogs. Not dogs that behave a certain way, but dogs that look a certain way.

Seriously exactly what type of dog? Large Xbreeds.

If you see what some of the small terriers are capable of you might change your mind about which breeds you think are dangerous. All dogs are a product of their humans and are capable of causing injuries.

So would you take the same action if another type of dog seriously attacked yours as described as KatDogs, or only if ' this type' of dog did? You know that all types of dogs can and do attack, and do so seriously?

It is always disappointing to see someone on a dog forum openly stating they are hostile towards types of dogs. Not dogs that behave a certain way, but dogs that look a certain way.

The type of dog that has the tenacity to rip into any other dog and not let go until you block off its airways.

So would you take the same action if another type of dog seriously attacked yours as described as KatDogs, or only if ' this type' of dog did? You know that all types of dogs can and do attack, and do so so?

The type of dog that has the tenacity to rip into any other dog and not let go until you block off its airways.

So, all dogs then. Try investigating dog attacks for a living before deciding that serious attacks are only perpetrated by dogs of a certain 'type' or appearance. Did you read the whole thread? The dog in the OP was not a Bull Breed.

You haven't answered my question as to whether you would lay in to and kill a dog of a different appearance if it attacked your dog in a serious manner - you only said you would do so for a certain type of dog. What would you do if another type of dog seriously attacked your dog? Your words imply it would be different.

Edited by melzawelza