Dogs Jaw Lock

sheena

When my staffy was attacked by a wolfhound, I had to drop the lead and wait. I waited till the wolfhound had him pinned and was standing over him hammering him. Stepped up behind it, locked my legs behind its ribs so it couldn't turn (between the ribs and hips), grabbed its collar and twisted and lifted.

The leg position was something I'd do to the staffy when we roughhoused. It's a good spot for immobilising and with the wolfhound I had to get in a position for maximum strength if I was going to get it off my dog.

In my case council were amazing. I called them at 6.30 am. They had an inspector out at my place by 8 (we were at the vet so missed him). He saw the dog and thank god a woman saw it happen and had given me her details, so the inspector saw her too before returning at lunch time.

Dog was declared dangerous, big fine, owners opted to put down instead of comply with dangerous dog requirements.

Not long after that a cattle dog charged out of its yard determined to get him. I stopped that by stepping in front of my dog. Most dogs won't attack a person, so breaking the line of sight and focus can be effective. It is a risk though as you don't know the dog that's about to attack.

Edited by karen15

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No guarantee off course but I guess you have to weigh up the lesser of two evils.

Thanks, You might be well right, but my suburb is bounded by 4 lane roads, and I have sighthounds who know their speed. When I passed out once when walking and dropped the leads they stayed with me. But I think if the attack was directed at them they would try to outrun the attacker, especially when they are young. Their safest defence is their own ability to injure the attacker, my trick is staying on my feet while they do it I guess.

Scary thread.

Lots that I've been thinking about recently having started walking the occasional dog for cash. I was rushed the other day. I have no doubt that had I had Scottie with me the results would have been different as he'd have arked up. Luckily the three dogs I was walking appeared to be bomb proof and the dog who rushed was eventually called back by his owner - who was in ear shot but not in sight.

I spent the rest of the walk wondering about the logistics of breaking up a fight.

I've only been attacked once - close to home and I managed to call dad who came to my rescue - the dog was more interested in dad than my dog (thank god). Had I not been so close to home it would have been nasty.

But yeh - self defence against dogs has been on my mind a lot -so useful, if scary, thread.

Anyone ever tried throwing a handful of treats on the ground in front of a rushing dog ??

No .

my thoughts on this are that if a dog is in attack mode - treats will not even register..hell, a lot of wounds don't register with the adrenaline & focus !

Anyone ever tried throwing a handful of treats on the ground in front of a rushing dog ??

Yep, a few times, and not once has it worked. I know other people have had success but it makes me wonder how quickly those dogs were approaching. It wouldn't stop a dog who didn't have friendly intentions. I'm considering starting to carry a can of citronella spray with me but that won't stop anything more than a friendly dog or very low level aggression either.

We were discussing "dazers" the other day in dog class. I fail to see how they'd help, but someone else in class said they were helpful :confused:http://www.dazer.co.nz/

but your citronella comment made me think of it because hubby went on to, only partly jokingly, suggest I carry an actual tazer & mace *eye roll*

I was rushed by a Labrador not long ago. It came bolting up to us, with its hackles up and growling. The dog I was walking is very reactive and so I did the only thing that came to mind. As the dog got within a couple of metres of us, I threw the full poo bag I was carrying and hit it square in the face. This coupled with me hollering at the top of my lungs was enough to get it to turn around and run back to its oblivious owner.

So I think for some dogs something smacking them in the face can be enough to deter them, but I would definitely not count on it working for every dog, especially not if it really means business.

I swear our older bitch once defused what could have been a very ugly situation. This Mastiff looking dog came rushing up, and based on the owner's reaction, and the dog's body language, I think it could have ended very differently had we been with one of our other dogs. Our bitch isn't that big, but she eyeballed this dog, drew herself right up, stuck her tail in the air and that dog literally stopped in its tracks.

Interesting if scary read this. I have chased off a few dogs just by being loud and aggressive but clearly they were not very serious. Have tried using the brass end of the lead but that has absolutely no effect.

Also broke a bone in my hand on a Staffies head last year that was chomping on Jonah so that isn't recommended, the biggest problem when a dog comes in like that is trying to keep Jonah under control so I can deal with it as he goes full Cujo in an effort to chase it away and defend himself.

I always have a knife in my pocket which I will use if I have to and take a walking stick with most days when walking near home but the best defense is walking them on streets with no dogs or in the bush on the outskirts of town where I am very unlikely to encounter other people and dogs.

What an awful situation.

When a dog (any dog) has bitten and is holding on (as all dogs that are truly serious about hurting another dog do), I find the best possible way to get them to let go is to cut off their air supply. Loop the leash under it's neck, thread the clip through the handle, and pull up and aim to get front feet off the ground (may not be possible with a 50kg). Keep the hold and wait. Dog will eventually let go in an attempt to breathe.

Yep, collar/lead/rope/whatever the hell you can loop around, up behind the jaw and lift the dog - air is cut off, and front feet hopefully off the ground so the dog cannot get purchase to move forward.

I was rushed by a Labrador not long ago. It came bolting up to us, with its hackles up and growling. The dog I was walking is very reactive and so I did the only thing that came to mind. As the dog got within a couple of metres of us, I threw the full poo bag I was carrying and hit it square in the face. This coupled with me hollering at the top of my lungs was enough to get it to turn around and run back to its oblivious owner. So I think for some dogs something smacking them in the face can be enough to deter them, but I would definitely not count on it working for every dog, especially not if it really means business.I swear our older bitch once defused what could have been a very ugly situation. This Mastiff looking dog came rushing up, and based on the owner's reaction, and the dog's body language, I think it could have ended very differently had we been with one of our other dogs. Our bitch isn't that big, but she eyeballed this dog, drew herself right up, stuck her tail in the air and that dog literally stopped in its tracks.

That's what happened to me minus the poo bag :rofl: I said hello to a neighbour - who then managed strangely managed to move out of ear shot - I don't know how - and when I turned around it was coming for me. I panicked and lifted Scottie up - which was probably really dumb but all I could think to do while kicking at it.

Luckily for all it wanted to eat Scottie - dad was able to call it off. He actually accused me of lying / making it all up. Anyhow - he put it in the back of his truck and drove it up to the vet as it had a collar but no tags and we didn't recognise it and it tried to go a dog who got to the vet the same time as them.

Diva, re the dropping the leash thing, I had/have exactly the same concern as mine are inclined to go exploring and have no road sense. With our attack #2, where I fell over, I accidentally dropped the leashes anyway and even though Quinn was pinned and couldn't go anywhere, and the two boys are on a coupler so would have to cooperate to run off, none of them actually tried to run off, they stayed close to me even afterwards.

Same with attack #3 the other week, I didn't want to drop the leads as we were actually on a road, but no one else was coming to help and I had to get hold of the attacking dog so I did, and again they didn't run, they stayed close to me.

No guarantee off course but I guess you have to weigh up the lesser of two evils.

Yeah agree, when the dog attacked Mosley my husband had to let go of Lili's lead in order to deal with the attacking dog. He was right next to a road but she just ran about 50 metres up the footpath and stopped and waited till it was all over. My good girl x

Yep, a few times, and not once has it worked. I know other people have had success but it makes me wonder how quickly those dogs were approaching. It wouldn't stop a dog who didn't have friendly intentions. I'm considering starting to carry a can of citronella spray with me but that won't stop anything more than a friendly dog or very low level aggression either.

Yeah in our case it wouldn't have worked. This dog just flat out charged and went straight for the throat. I doubt if the dog is determined this would work.

Oh crap, why on earth would they release the dog? Has it been declared?

You see cases such as on here where a dog was declared and detained for a long time with a large fight for him to be released due to a wound inflicted by one snap on a human.

You then get this case of a sustained attack resulting in a severely injured dog and person and it's bloody released???!!!!

Makes no bloody sense!!!!!!!

I will do whatever it takes to save my dogs. If the other dog gets injured in the process so be it. My job is to protect my dogs to the best of my ability. A job I take very seriously.

I also have a large rescue. The amount of people who just allow dogs to approach her is insane. She can get a bit overwhelmed and hyped, isn't aggressive but should a dog growl or snap it could easily trigger her. So I keep her safe by doing my best to not allow dogs to approach her. She is big, one snap could be fatal.

every little weight you can get rid of will allow you to run faster...so if definitely helps :D

I have used a dazer in the past to repel dogs aggressivly fence running while I have been out walking, but doubt whether they would repel an attacker

Was it useful? (Did it work?)

It was demonstrated - Scottie - the senior of the class paid no attention, Gemma the obsessed lab who only has eyes for mum took no notice either. It was only Meg, the kind of nervous Dobe who pricked her ears.

It wasnt pointed at them -but I do wonder if they're... useful at all ...

I have used a dazer in the past to repel dogs aggressivly fence running while I have been out walking, but doubt whether they would repel an attacker

It was demonstrated - Scottie - the senior of the class paid no attention, Gemma the obsessed lab who only has eyes for mum took no notice either. It was only Meg, the kind of nervous Dobe who pricked her ears.

Yes it did, in so much as they retreated quickly. I have used them before on my own dogs to correcting/stop barking or other very bad or dangerous behaviour. They are good for repelling rats out of the wall :laugh:

ETA..they have to be pointed directly at them

Edited by sheena

Yes it did, in so much as they retreated quickly. I have used them before on my own dogs to correcting/stop barking or other very bad or dangerous behaviour. They are good for repelling rats out of the wall :laugh:

Oh - I'm about to go OT :offtopic: we have a mouse issue at the moment... Maybe they might be useful.

Back on topic - yes - we were told they had to be directed at the dog but didn't want to torture anyone in class - so the owner of the Dazer pointed it away. I still think 1/3 dogs even perking their ears is a low result.

Oh - I'm about to go OT :offtopic: we have a mouse issue at the moment... Maybe they might be useful.

Back on topic - yes - we were told they had to be directed at the dog but didn't want to torture anyone in class - so the owner of the Dazer pointed it away. I still think 1/3 dogs even perking their ears is a low result.

Yes...good for mice & once I got a rooster out of a tree at night :laugh: