Kibble With Novel Protein Suggestions?

Hi everyone!

We're trying to figure out if my dog is moderately allergic to the food he is on at the moment so I want to do a food trial with him with a novel protein.

He has had beef, chicken, turkey, lamb, herring, salmon and whitefish.

I was thinking of feeding him bison, crocodile, kangaroo or something else?

Does anyone know any good quality kibble which I can put him on without the proteins hes already had?

Thanks!

You might need to try a single source raw or cooked dog roll as I can't think of a kibble with a novel protein source.

The only kibble I can think of that might work is taste of the wild bison

Canidae have a bison food but it also has lamb meal in it. Most kangaroo or duck kibbles will also have lamb or fish in them too in my experience.

Ivory coat has a venison dry food to try.

Otherwise prime has a cooked roll of crocodile or a raw crocodile barf type food too that might be worth a go.

Wouldn't it be far more easy to go to the Hemopet sit of Jean Dodd's and see what the requirements are for the allergy test that she has and do that and get back a result that will inform you of what your dog is allergic to. :)

After finding that my dog couldn't even tolerate the hydrolysed hypoallergenic prescription foods, I had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to feed my dog a homemade diet for life. Our dermatologist linked us up with a canine nutritionist to help balance the diet, and I was importing a US supplement.

A last-ditch trial of an Australian-made food proved successful for us though. Of course, it depends what your dog is intolerant of, and what you've been feeding already. A single novel protein and carbohydrate over a number of weeks is best done under vet supervision, with absolutely no other treats given. If symptoms settle down, you then 'challenge' with foods previously given, for 7-10 days, one at a time. If no increase in itching/ GI symptoms is noted, the challenge food is deemed ok. If symptoms flare, stop the challenge, resume the novel diet until things settle, before doing the next challenge. Likely culprits to challenge with are chicken, beef, lamb, dairy, eggs, soy, corn. These are common ingredients in dog food and dogs can become sensitised to them.

The food that we can feed has Australian sorghum, roo and duck in it. It's one of the only commercial foods that doesn't contain ingredients that were problematic for my dog when we challenged him on an elimination diet (chicken, beef, lamb, dairy, and eggs were ones he flared on).This is mainly what we feed, apart from roo and goat meat and bones:

http://www.naturalbalance.net.au/our-products/delicate/

What exactly do you feed & that includes any treats & what are the allergy issues

He has earthborn holistic coastal catch, as well as raw chicken and beef. Hes on a tiny bit of royal canin gastrointestinal (regretfully) as he had some stomach issues for awhile and it was the only thing settling it as a pup, we are slowly weening off it though.

He seems to scratch sometimes, and hes getting recurrent ear infections, so the vet thinks it might be an allergy?

Canidae have a bison food but it also has lamb meal in it. Most kangaroo or duck kibbles will also have lamb or fish in them too in my experience.

Ivory coat has a venison dry food to try.

Otherwise prime has a cooked roll of crocodile or a raw crocodile barf type food too that might be worth a go.

Yeah, hats the problem :( most of them add a bit of a non-novel meat meal in addition to the novel protein.

Thanks for the ivory coat suggestioN! Ill have a look. Im thinking it may not be ideal as it has a very high calcium %, and my boy is still growing (german shepherd).

Wouldn't it be far more easy to go to the Hemopet sit of Jean Dodd's and see what the requirements are for the allergy test that she has and do that and get back a result that will inform you of what your dog is allergic to. :)

I've never heard of hemopet! what is that? Do i have to go through my vet?

After finding that my dog couldn't even tolerate the hydrolysed hypoallergenic prescription foods, I had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to feed my dog a homemade diet for life. Our dermatologist linked us up with a canine nutritionist to help balance the diet, and I was importing a US supplement.

A last-ditch trial of an Australian-made food proved successful for us though. Of course, it depends what your dog is intolerant of, and what you've been feeding already. A single novel protein and carbohydrate over a number of weeks is best done under vet supervision, with absolutely no other treats given. If symptoms settle down, you then 'challenge' with foods previously given, for 7-10 days, one at a time. If no increase in itching/ GI symptoms is noted, the challenge food is deemed ok. If symptoms flare, stop the challenge, resume the novel diet until things settle, before doing the next challenge. Likely culprits to challenge with are chicken, beef, lamb, dairy, eggs, soy, corn. These are common ingredients in dog food and dogs can become sensitised to them.

The food that we can feed has Australian sorghum, roo and duck in it. It's one of the only commercial foods that doesn't contain ingredients that were problematic for my dog when we challenged him on an elimination diet (chicken, beef, lamb, dairy, and eggs were ones he flared on).This is mainly what we feed, apart from roo and goat meat and bones:

http://www.naturalbalance.net.au/our-products/delicate/

Thanks for that! yeah my vet suggested the food trial!

Ive never heard of that brand, thank you, ill look into it :)

I've never heard of hemopet! what is that? Do i have to go through my vet?

You can google it and she is on face book. Can be done at home or with a vet.

It is annoying that they put other proteins in with 'different' protein feeds. I picked up heaps of samples at the Dog Lovers show and they all contain other proteins as well as the main one.

Having the same issue with one of my dogs. Just constant low grade ear issues. Which is why I picked up the samples. And despite explaining to the reps what I wanted all the samples have chicken, beef or lamb in them!!

I did get some of the Prime rolls and they have gone down very well. I was very ick about the crocodile but it wasn't smelly at all. I (well the dog) tried the crocodile barf and the roo rolls. A 2kg roll has lasted 4 days btw. My dog is a good doer though but I find you don't have to feed a massive amount of these rolls.

I spoke to the Zwipeak reps. You only feed a small amount of the product. I would be slightly concerned about protein levels with it though. My very fussy dog thinks it is amazing. Unfortunately she needs low protein and can't have much of it!

Feeding dogs is currently driving me nuts!