Can You Clicker Train With Your Voice?

I've read briefly about clicker training and why it's better than using a word and how quickly it can mark a behaviour that you want. I could just imagine me with my hands full of dog, treats and clicker I'd get myself in a mess. I'm wondering if you can just make the sound, much like the sound you make when clicking up a horse to move on. Is there any reason why that wouldn't work?

Isn't that pretty much the same as marking with a (happy, excited, high pitched) "yes" or other word?

I dont know. I think they dont like using "yes" or other words because they can get confused if they hear them at other times, that's why they use a sound. Do you clicker train? I just dont know if making the sound with your mouth is any different to making it with a manufactured clicker. I know the sound isn't identical but would it still work?

It would work if your consistency and timing is good. The value of the clicker is that it is the same sound everytime and without emotional content or confusing chatter. I tend to just use a marker word as I find it easier but a clicker gives the opportunity for more precision. If you can make a consistent mouth sound and stick to the principles of clicker training then much the same.

The clicker is just a marker. You can use anything you like. People like using the clicker as it makes the same neutral sound every time, which is useful in situations where you think you may not be able to make the same tone of voice all the time (I found it very useful for LAT training for eg). A word such as "yes" works just as well, or another noise or word if you like.

I actually prefer using a verbal marker a lot of the time. The click is extremely precise and powerful so you need to make darn sure you know what you're clicking and that your timing is perfect. Placement of reward is also important.

Yep, I understand this principle because it's the same when you're riding a horse, if you want a soft mouthed responsive horse you need to be precise and consistent. I can make the clicky sound with my mouth, and I would think my reflexes would be the same whether I was using my hands to click the clicker or my mouth to make the sound.

I might give it a go. If it works I'll let you all know. :D

Neutral is good!

I like to keep my dogs energised when I'm shaping and use a lot of voice (including singing and laughing) and tugging to do so - trying to do your clicky noise would make my head explode :laugh:

It's easy! :laugh: But I was very surprised to discover my brother cannot make the noise, he was surprised that I could! It must be a bit like rolling your tongue, some people can do all sorts of weird things with their tongues and others cannot.

Oh, but I can only do it on one side of my mouth, I'm really good on the right side, it's quite loud enough, but on the left I'm hopeless and it's too soft, so there you go. :shrug:

Edited by Kirislin

Neutral is good!

I like to keep my dogs energised when I'm shaping and use a lot of voice (including singing and laughing) and tugging to do so - trying to do your clicky noise would make my head explode :laugh:

It's easy! :laugh: But I was very surprised to discover my brother cannot make the noise, he was surprised that I could! It must be a bit like rolling your tongue, some people can do all sorts of weird things with their tongues and others cannot.

Oh, but I can only do it on one side of my mouth, I'm really good on the right side, it's quite loud enough, but on the left I'm hopeless and it's too soft, so there you go. :shrug:

Ha! I can DO the clicky noise but suspect my timing would be off if I tried to insert it in all my singing and cheering and giggling. Shaping is a riot in this house :D

Isn't that pretty much the same as marking with a (happy, excited, high pitched) "yes" or other word?

I dont know. I think they dont like using "yes" or other words because they can get confused if they hear them at other times, that's why they use a sound. Do you clicker train? I just dont know if making the sound with your mouth is any different to making it with a manufactured clicker. I know the sound isn't identical but would it still work?

Nah. I did try but I'm too uncoordinated.

;)

;)

but wouldn't you be just as unco. using your mouth/voice or your hand to operate a clicker?

Just tried, my clicky noise is neutral, I cannot make it sound excited, or happy, or angry, it's the same sound what ever emotion I'm trying to put into it. :laugh:

I use a clicker for the same reasons as mentioned in previous posts. I have tried making a clicking sound with my tongue but wonder if I will still be able to do that when my mouth is dry & will it be loud enough when in a noisy, distracting environment. Also you might be having to click your tongue, 30 times a minute depending on what you are shaping. Can you do that?? Using a verbal like "yes" as others have pointed out, is a sound that they hear many times during the day & it doesn't hold the same value as a "loaded" clicker. I also use "yes" in general training, but it is more a marker as in...you have gone in the correct entry to the weaves & you may continue on...or...yes...that is the right end of the tunnel..or the correct response to an already learned cue. I went to a seminar once, where the instructor had spent her whole life "clicker" training all sorts of animals, including marine animals as well as large zoo animals. She found the clicker cumbersome, so she using a whistle which she can hold in her mouth.

I also find that the excited, focused look on my dogs, when I pull the clicker out of my pocket, is worth all the tea in China. They don't show much excitement when I pull a "yes" out of my pocket. I have done up an article for people wanting to know how to get started in clicker training & some exercises you can do without your dog to sharpen your skill. You can find that Introduction to Clicker Training. Also, it doesn't matter if you accidently click the wrong thing...you just try not to do it too many times. I also find that placement of the reward is not terribly important, as it is the click that marks the exact moment, the reward follows. If you find the clicker cumbersome, & you do get better at it, try a whistle held in your mouth :)

;)

but wouldn't you be just as unco. using your mouth/voice or your hand to operate a clicker?

Nope. It was just another thing to put in my pocket, or have in my hand or to forget to take entirely.

Just wasn't for me. :)

I mark with a verbal yes. Provides you reliably follow through with food the same as you would after the clicker I've found no difference. People are less likely to be consistent with their voice though which is where it can become less valuable.

Clicker and marker word are in many respects the same as they are both secondary reinforcement. However, they each have their advantages and disadvantages.

For instance, the clicker is fantastic for precision, consistency, and it is much easier to use along with commands. For example, if I am making a noise to get my dog's attention, and I want to mark that moment they give me their attention, it can be a little tricky if you're using a verbal marker to get the timing really spot on.

The marker word is fantastic because you have it with you whenever you need it and it is hands-free. Problems can come with it being less than distinct, and with keeping it sounding consistent.

Solution: use both!

Dogs are pretty good at hearing differences.

They can tell their clicker apart from other trainer's clickers... Ie if you have a class of 6 dogs and clickers, they soon learn which one is for them.

However my dog also knows that anyone calling their dog - is an opportunity for treats - so she will go when someone else yells "Rover" across the park, especially if she's already checked that person has treats.

Clickers are for precision - good for capturing head tilt or a paw lift. "Yes" and similar are good for capturing movement like heelwork.

So - depending what you're trying to achieve - use both.

And I admit - I hate the sound of a clicker at the moment, and I am not co-ordinated to hold leash, clicker, and dispense treats and give a hand signal.

And I'm not co-ordinated to make identical clicks with my mouth. I can make all sorts. Just not always the one I want when I want. Even Skippy could click "frustration" or happy.

And I find the big click - rolled tongue variety - is too slow - and requires spit.

I use all three; clicker, verbal marker, and mouth click, and my dogs don't seem to have any issues identifying all as markers!

I use a clicker when teaching a new behaviour, or refining detail in a behaviour. I use a verbal ('nice') when training with a broader brush, and for things like behaviour sequences, and I use a mouth click to mark things like good heeling or focus. But I will use them interchangeably as well!