For All The Unethical (But Responsible) Dog Owners ...

Willem

What I'm saying is that she can't argue both sides of the coin. She lectures people all the time on the subject & even admits to being a hypocrite. The last 2 GS pups she emergency housed, lingered for over 3 months.

No, it's not registered. No, I definitely would not breed her on her temperament alone - friendly nature but will only listen to owner when it suits. Escapes at any given opportunity. Despite heaps of $$$ on training - has a terrible hip score & is not a good example of a GSB.

Despite all of this & the sheer hypocrisy, why not eh? Sheesh.

• 2 weeks later...
Jasper was a re-home and castrated when we got him, so we never had to bother about my darling Coco conceiving.

Similarly, after Coco passed it wasn't a consideration in getting a new dog, but as it turns out Chloe was also neutered.

But, hypothetically, what would we have done if the RSPCA had given us a choice?

I'll say this, knowing what I know now there is no way I would ever allow another dog to be castrated. Maybe I would not have made the same decision back then, but there's nothing wrong with LEARNING.

Short answer now, is that if I were certain he would never be wanted for breeding, I would get the dog a vasectomy.

Just out of curiosity and I could be remembering this wrong, but aren't all of your dogs from the same breeder? One who has a less than stellar reputation on the health testing front?

If that is the case, while I am sure they are wonderful dogs I would be very wary pinning any problems they had on the desexing alone. I have heard some awful stories come out of that kennel.

Just a 5 min talk with me would convince any animal control official that I definitely was not looking to breed any rescue, but I guess that people lie & others could change their minds.

People are very good liars. Ask any one of the people here who work in rescue, I would say all have been burned or almost burned at least once.

Just a 5 min talk with me would convince any animal control official that I definitely was not looking to breed any rescue, but I guess that people lie & others could change their minds.

People are very good liars. Ask any one of the people here who work in rescue, I would say all have been burned or almost burned at least once.

Yes, exactly. Rules are rules and even if they wanted to they wouldnt allow you to have an entire rescue dog. Anyone can say that and sweet talk their way into getting a dog which they would then use to add to the too many dogs in pounds. I saw someone recently rehoming their entire poodle pup, advertising it as a Christmas gift ???? Already had one home, doesn't need to go to a possibly unstable home as a surprise Xmas gift, the recipient may not be responsible enough to monitor an entire bitch and might not be able to afford a spay (let alone food, meds etc...) Dogs aren't good surprise gifts for most people... End up with a litter + mum all dumped in a pound.

All dogs I own will be desexed. Females well just easier than having to manage them on heat etc and takes away one serious health issue that can happen. Males well the family male years ago ended up developing these huge benign tumors under his tail. I cant remember the name but the problem is they ulcerate and if not removed the infection will get into the bloodstream. It was horrific and in the end one was right through his tail that couldnt be treated along with a heap of other issues. He was treated for years by being given a female hormone (parents wouldnt have him desexed) - could have been stopped and even prevented by simply being desexed.