Vale Hobbes, An Era Ends

ricey

Hi all,

My lovely, gentle pit bull terrier Hobbes died on the 23rd of March this year. Those of you that had the opportunity to meet him loved him. Those that just saw him on the other side of the street scurried away from that "dangerous dog". Their loss, not Hobbes's; he loved all people unconditionally, and the same for at least 50% of the dogs he met.

Hobbes was somewhere between 14 and a half to 17 years old when he died; a fine age and a fine life. Hobbes has left a hole in my heart but he certainly filled my life a great deal more.

Now that I have had a little time to come to terms with his passing, I think that I will not jump into getting a new dog; well, at least not permanently. I am thinking that fostering is probably the go, and I will be contacting Staffy and Bull Breed Rescue here in Perth shortly. Hobbes was a rescue dog and fostering appeals to me. So many dogs, and not enough homes. Especially not enough homes for the bull breed and pittie type dogs.

ricey

I'm sorry to read about Hobbes passing. He had a good and long life, and was well loved by you. Now that he's gone you will go on to do lots of good for other dogs who need someone like you to go in to bat for them. You have my sympathy.

So sorry Ricey, i too enjoyed your posts about him, he must have left a huge gap in your life.If only they lived forever. :(

If you get smitten by the bull breeds there's never any going back, they are truly wonderful with so much to give.

I don't really know what to say but sorry, and thats never enough, take care. :(

So sorry for his loss Ricey :( Only just noticed this post.

But what an impact hes made.

Re; Fostering Bull Breeds ....Thats a worthy legacy he leaves behind. His life makes a difference. :hug:

Easy running Hobbes.

Edited by moosmum

• 2 years later...

It is over two years since Hobbes left me, and I have a new dog now. Keisha is not a replacement for Hobbes and I never expected her to be that. but she is a beautiful American Pitbull terrier like Hobbes was. Keisha was 2 years in rescue before I put up my hand for her. This time my dog is an Old Family red, rather than tiger brindle and she is rather beautiful. Like Hobbes, she is superb with humans of all ages, but unlike Hobbes she does not have much tolerance for her own species (hence why she spent so long in rescue before being rehomed). My vet (who had a Pitbull in the UK many years ago) expressed some surprise at Keisha's love of humans but dislike of her own species. I pointed out that there are shitloads of humans who are great with dogs but who really detest other humans.

Sure I know what love is; a boy loves his dog (and I love my Keisha).

• Like 3

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, Dame Danny's Darling said:

That’s lovely ricey.  Photos when you have a moment :)

I have to be a little bit careful about photos. WA is probably the safest state in Australia to own a Pitbull, but I still have to be careful. My Keisha is the best thing in my life and I would not jeopardise her for anything. Then again, my council rangers know exactly what breed she is and collectively they couldn't give a rat's arse. Suffice to say Keisha is an old family red Pitbull and would be recognised as such by anyone who knows the breed type. Do a google on 'old family red' Pitbull (images) and you will see what Keisha looks like. Disregard the cropped ear dogs and the snarling dogs; they are not typical of well bred OFR Pitbull's.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 4:57 AM, juice said:

I sent this little foster  man to WA years ago as he wasn’t safe here , my kids were gutted as they wanted to keep him , I hope he is still safe . 

77994886-3C5B-4A9F-8644-B10512E9D9FE.jpeg

Hi juice,

was this dog one of the ones that came through my yard on the way to Ivy in Kalgoorlie? If he was, then he was and is still safe.

Cheers, ricey