Why French Bulldogs And Dachshunds Are On Trend

Redsonic

Probably no surprises here, but this article on ABC News finds the reasons are multifactorial, and warns against buying a dog from backyard breeders jumping on the bandwagon of rapid popularity. The article has lots of photos I couldn't embed here.

French bulldogs and dachshunds have bumped pugs off the podium to become the trendiest dogs Down Under. But what determines which dog breeds are "in"? And what happens when popular pooches fall out of fashion?

The dachshund, with its slinky, sausagey body, is having a moment. So too, is its squishy-faced cousin, the French bulldog.

Not so long ago you couldn't walk through Melbourne's inner suburbs without stumbling over a pug; they were — and arguably still are — the dog breed hipsters favour.

But if pugs were "so 2014", in 2016, dachshunds and Frenchies are in vogue. Whether you're in South Yarra, Port Melbourne or Fitzroy, come brunchtime, the pavements are crawling with wiener dogs and Frenchies.

See dogs, like clothes and home decor, cycle in and out of fashion. Like men's bell bottom pants, Afghan hounds were all the rage in the 70s, though you would struggle to find them these days.

German shepherds were huge in the 80s and, memorably, handbag dogs a la Paris Hilton and Elle Woods — Chihuahuas — were big in the 00s, but in 2016 are nowhere to be seen.

So then what determines which dogs are "in"? And is it possible to forecast the next big "it" breed?

It turns out an intricate combination of factors is fuelling the popularity of dachshunds and French bulldogs in Australia right now; the trend towards apartment living, the fact more women are delaying having children, the magnetic pulling power of celebrities and the burgeoning influence of social media personalities all work to make and break dog fashions Down Under.

But a dog-of-the-minute is not always a positive thing: trending breeds are at risk of being discarded by their fickle owners and left to live out the rest of their days in crowded animal shelters, as some once-prized pooches have found.

So what is it about dachshunds and Frenchies that has Australians so smitten? And why have handbag dogs — the must-have accessory rocked by the likes of Paris Hilton and Britney Spears circa 2006 — fallen out of fashion?

Which pooches are most popular?

Australian National Kennel Council (ANKC) registration data confirm dachshunds and French bulldogs have in fact surged in popularity in recent years: registrations of dachshunds in Australia have increased by 462 per cent since 2014, with 743 new smooth dachshunds registered with the ANKC in 2015

Dachshund Club of NSW secretary Nikki McLeod says she is currently unable to meet the demand for dachshund puppies.

"I've been secretary of the club now for 13, 14 years and the level of enquiry in the last two years or so has absolutely gone through the roof," Ms McLeod told ABC News.

And French bulldog ownership has exploded even more so, with new registrations increasing 1,142 per cent since 2005 — growing 33 per cent to 2,896 between 2014 and 2015 alone.

"I've been breeding and showing Frenchies for 30 years and it's just over the last few years that they've been increasing in popularity," said French Bulldog Club of NSW president Debra Brady.

"I get emails and phone calls on a daily basis."

Other small breeds surging in popularity, though not to the same extent as Frenchies and dachshunds, include the Italian greyhound (registrations with the ANKC are up nearly 61 per cent since 2012); the Scottish terrier (up 53 per cent); the Boston terrier (up 48 per cent); and the miniature schnauzer (up 41 per cent).

Some reasons...

DOGS Victoria chief executive Lyndall Black says smaller breeds in general have become more popular in Australia in recent years partly because of the rise of apartment living and the dwindling size of the suburban Aussie backyard.

"People still want to have a dog as part of their life but they've had to change the way they think about that," Ms Black told ABC News.

"Now they have a smaller yard, so they need a smaller dog ... they still want their kids to have the experience of owning and loving an animal."

Damian Shore, an analyst at market research firm Euromonitor, also cites declining birth rates and the fact that couples are delaying parenthood as a key reason why small dogs have become more popular in the United States.

Is it not just a coincidence that couples are birthing fewer babies but buying more little dogs?

"There's definitely some replacement happening there," Mr Shore told Quartz.

"Women are not only having fewer children, but are also getting married later. There are more single and unmarried women in their late 20s and early 30s, which also happens to be the demographic that buys the most small dogs."

'I'll have what she's having'

Films, celebrities and popular culture also influence dog breed fashions.

A 2014 study led by Brooklyn College psychology professor Stefano Ghirlanda found movies featuring dogs had a significant impact on people's choice of pet — as reflected in spikes in registrations of particular breeds with the American Kennel Club.

Yes, family favourites Lassie, Milo and Otis and 101 Dalmatians actually fuelled the popularity — at least in America — of collies, pugs and Dalmatians.

"The effect can actually be quite long term," Professor Ghirlanda told ABC News.

"You can see an effect for up to 10 years after the movie is released."

Interestingly, dog breeds can come into and go out of fashion in as few as five years, though the average trend lasts for 10 to 12 years, Professor Ghirlanda said.

"But you also have to pay attention to how quickly a breed is coming into fashion. If something comes into fashion very quickly it will also go out of fashion quickly," he said.

"So if you have a dachshund craze for one year to another, it's probably not going to last long. But if you see registrations climb [for] say, five to six years, then you can back that [the breed] will continue to be popular for another five to 10 years or something like that."

Famous people can also have a distinct influence on dog breed popularity, says Professor Ghirland, though "it's much harder to track the effect of what celebrities do or the information that goes around on social media".

Ms Brady, who has been breeding and showing Frenchies for three decades, agrees the inclusion of Frenchies in high-rating TV shows such as Modern Family has helped fuel the breed's popularity.

"There are also quite a few celebrities that have them here in Australia as well as in America and they're also often used in TV commercials and in magazines," Ms Brady said.

Indeed, among the long list of celebrity French bulldog owners are Lady Gaga, Chrissy Teigan and John Legend, Hugh Jackman, David and Victoria Beckham, Jon Stewart and Reese Witherspoon.

Perhaps Yorkshire terriers — a breed currently in the celebrity spotlight thanks to actor Johnny Depp and his wife Amber Heard's smuggling situation — will become the national dog of choice in 2016-17?

Then there's Instagram...

Of course, it's also not hard to see how the internet's most famous dogs — with their cute canine clothing and perfectly posed photographs — might sway prospective pet purchasers' preferences.

After all, social media influencers are called "influencers" for a reason, says Detch Singh, cofounder of the influencer marketing platform Hypetap.

"High-engagement influencers on Instagram are extremely powerful in impacting the purchasing decisions of their followers," Mr Singh told ABC News.

"They are the key trendsetters and tastemakers in their respective verticals and there's no reason why that wouldn't apply to pet dogs as well."

Unsurprisingly then, the top two most influential Australian dog breeds on Instagram — as determined by Hypetap's proprietary algorithm — are dachshunds and French bulldogs.

Among Australia's "top dogs" is Melbourne-based dachshund Frankie the Lil Sausage, who has an Instagram following of over 53,000.

Whether she's wearing high-top sneakers, a Batman costume or a Mortarboard, Frankie's posts routinely attract thousands of likes and comments from her dachshund-loving devotees.

Ditto, Leonardo the French bulldog, another Melbourne-based influencer dog whose fan base has swelled to over 28,000.

Leo is less into dress-ups than just going about his business. Still, his admirers frequently leave comments saying they "just wanna squeeze him!".

Popularity can be a health risk for dogs

Sadly, it's not all party hats and bellyrubs for popular pooches; when particular breeds come into fashion, inexperienced breeders often to rush in to meet demand and, if they don't meet stringent breeding standards, can produce dogs with serious health problems.

"Unfortunately some people will pay big money for a dog that's not necessarily from a reputable breeder because of the popularity of the breed," Ms McLeod said.

"That's where people who don't know any better can get caught out with dogs that have problems later on."

Ms Brady says she is up against the same issue with French bulldogs.

"We certainly are doing everything we possibly can to improve the health of the breed... We only breed selectively and carefully but unfortunately... backyard breeders will just buy two French bulldogs, a male and a female, and put them together," she said.

The hugely-popular "designer" crossbred "oodle" dogs — cavoodles, schnoodles, groodles — owned by the likes of Jennifer Aniston, Tiger Woods and Julia Gillard, have sparked outrage among vets and animal welfare groups for similar reasons.

Oodles, according to pet care brand Purina, became popular because they're smart and easy to train, don't shed, and make great family pets.

But even the Australian man credited with creating the labradoodle in the 1980s has admitted he regrets doing so, blaming himself for fuelling the puppy farm trade and producing unstable "Frankenstein" dogs that would wind up being left at shelters or euthanased.

"Marvellous thing? My foot. There are a lot of unhealthy and abandoned dogs out there," Wally Condron told the Associated Press in 2014.

What about handbag dogs?

But wait — the question of how designer handbag dogs fell out of fashion remains.

Last year the animal charity Blue Cross reported petite pups Chihuahuas, bichon frises and shih tzus were being abandoned by UK owners in unprecedented numbers, with Yorkshire terriers topping the list of the most unwanted breeds.

"Sadly, people often think these little dogs won't be much trouble to care for and it's often too late when they realise they don't have time," said Blue Cross re-homing centre manager Kellie Brookes.

In Australia however, it's medium-sized and larger dogs being dropped at dog shelters, with Staffordshire bull terriers and Jack Russells topping the list of breeds being surrendered to the RSPCA in Victoria.

"Staffys are intelligent dogs that require a lot of exercise, training and attention... Jack Russells are also high energy dogs," RSPCA Victoria Animal Care supervisor Heather Hesterman told ABC News.

"RSPCA Victoria encourages prospective owners to research breed traits, and to talk to adoption staff to determine what type of dog best fits your home, family and lifestyle."

In the meantime, it remains to be seen as to whether Aussie dachshunds and Frenchies will endure for the typical 10-year cycle, or fade away fast like last season's boots (or Paris Hilton's Chihuahua).

And who knows, if Mr Depp is influential enough, Melbourne might soon be overrun with Yorkies.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Allegedly, the #1 circus man, P.T. Barnum, once said "no one has ever lost a dollar by underestimating the intelligence of the American public." I'd imagine the same holds in Australia. People go for 'cute' as defined by the media. They don't check objective measures, and thus don't realize that daschies come from hunting lines and tend to be strong on hunting/attack instincts, and also have a lot of health problems related to elongated spine. Likewise they don't note the many health problems in Frenchies . . . mostly stemming from being bracycephalic and (often) inbred.

Conspicuous consumption also helps with the Frenchies. They're not cheap. So they brand you as someone who can afford expensive (and frivolous) things.

Because they are small, quirky looking and people want the next "in thing" I cringe inside whenever someone tells me they want a French Bull Dog. ( I mentally judge them, I'm embarrassed to say :o )

I don't! If we go down to smaller dogs one day they're on the maybe list.

No matter how popular they are they're still the perfect dog for some I guess.

Because they are small, quirky looking and people want the next "in thing" I cringe inside whenever someone tells me they want a French Bull Dog. ( I mentally judge them, I'm embarrassed to say :o )

I don't! If we go down to smaller dogs one day they're on the maybe list.

No matter how popular they are they're still the perfect dog for some I guess.

I have no desire for a frenchie! But we are looking at getting a smaller dog in the future (well I am, housemate wants a retriever of some variety). Probably the smallest I'd go would be a miniature bull terrier.. Which is still about 10-15kg of crazy

We've had Sid for over 5 years. He is the perfect dog for us. I hate how their popularity has led to a rise in BYBing, fad colours etc as this is a breed whose health should be first and foremost when breeding, but I'm not surprised - they are such fantastic little dogs.

We've had doxies on and off, in my family, my whole life. One of my strongest memories of my grandmother is her 3 nasty, fat doxies.

Mum still has one, She's 10 this year and a great little dog - for them / there lifestyle. Mum's Hubby is a farmer and Ruby has almost always "worked" - going out most days with "her dad" - they also have the kind of hobbies and holidays where she can go along most of the time. Although Mum did say she's been opting to stay home and sleep more and more often recently.

We also had one as out office dog (belonged to my boss) for a few years.

They're not a dog I'd recommend. I find their temperaments too unstable - too prone to being snappy and having separation issues. Typical back issues, I believe eye / sight issues (could be wrong there) and the few I've known well have been incredibly high maintenance.

Love frenchies - think they're cute - used to work with a girl who owned two. But would never own one - they're not my type of dog.

I have Sid's sister and she's an awesome little dog. At the time I was simply after a small dog with short hair, no particularly strong personality traits and a sweet nature. She is just the easiest little dog to look after and live with. She has such a gentle soul and has given me no trouble with poultry, puppies, kids or anything. She's also has get up and go when we're having fun, is extremely agile and loves tugging and balls. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to own a Frenchie and in my mind its not the Frenchie lovers who have the issue, its the people wanting to make money from them!

I have Sid's sister and she's an awesome little dog. At the time I was simply after a small dog with short hair, no particularly strong personality traits and a sweet nature. She is just the easiest little dog to look after and live with. She has such a gentle soul and has given me no trouble with poultry, puppies, kids or anything. She's also has get up and go when we're having fun, is extremely agile and loves tugging and balls. I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to own a Frenchie and in my mind its not the Frenchie lovers who have the issue, its the people wanting to make money from them!

agree. If you want a small dog due to living in an apartment, being old and not confident with 20+ kg of dog, or having a small yard that wouldn't be fair for a big dog, you are hit with a choice between various terriers, daschies, miniature hounds, SWF's, and brachys, such as pugs, Bostons, and Frenchies. Temperament is paramount for me, and I find the brachy options very attractive from a temperament perspective (ie. having 'sweet nature'). Just wish there weren't the health problems . . . and a well bred Frenchie is hard to find and quite likely outside my budget range. It saddens me that there isn't a stronger movement to breed these breeds to temperament and health standards and ignore 'conformation' as judged by the show ring.

Doesn't surprise me at all that demand is strong for these dogs. Just wish the supply side wasn't so full of profiteering breeders.And with daschies, I sure wish there was a strong movement to breed for temperament. I've met some mellow sweet daschies, and some that were more feisty and prey driven than a working vermin-hunter terrier.

Edited by sandgrubber

Exactly, Roova. My vet tells me whenever we're in that Sid has one of the best temperaments he's ever seen and he's not a brachy fan. He's superb with the kids too. I wouldn't change a thing.

The only reason we were looking at a Frenchie is because of DOL. But the prices have become so ridiculous, I refuse to pay in fear that the dog will become a target for theft.

I'm leaning toward a Lagotto, almost got one before my other Field, but hubby would love another Fieldie, whereas I don't another dog will live up to his expectations. Henschke is such a special dog.

I have noticed more Scotties around - in the past they were a rare sight, now I've seen two within the same week.

From a reputable breeder who does all the health checks to make sure that they are breeding with the best that there is to offer, you will find that the prices are not what you see here on DOL.

Reputable breeders do not have to advertise as their puppies are always pre sold most times before they are even a twinkle in the stud dog's eyes.

I have had this beautiful breed, the Frenchie, since 1982 and I can tell you that the dogs that I have bred only ever see the vet for their yearly vet check, most of them live to 12 years of age and I have some that have lived until almost 15, so there are good ones around you only need to know who to contact.

I have become so depressed with the amount of litters that are being advertised here on DOL and the prices some of them have put on their puppies shows that it is not for the good of the breed but for alternative reasons.

Wish they would stop using the Frenchie in all the advertising that you see.

I predict a Corgi explosion if there hasn't been one already. Like Frenchies and Doxies, they are all over Facebook and Instagram.

Oh and Sandgrubber, you have forgotten all the toy breeds that are not necessarily white and/or fluffy. Just saying ????

There was a blue Frenchie puppy on Gumtree today for $16000!! No mention about temperament or health testing for genetic problems. So depressing people keep paying more and more encouraging these greeders. :(

There was a blue Frenchie puppy on Gumtree today for $16000!! No mention about temperament or health testing for genetic problems. So depressing people keep paying more and more encouraging these greeders. :(

Holy crap eek1.gif

And there's been 4 offers!! Kinda disturbing.

Doesn't even cost that much to raise a foal to weaning...

Aside from health problems related to being brachy, French Bulldogs are almost the ideal pet for inner city people. They're generally friendly, low maintenance, have moderate exercise requirements, come in a range of colors and are cute. I can see why they are popular.

Aside from health problems related to being brachy, French Bulldogs are almost the ideal pet for inner city people. They're generally friendly, low maintenance, have moderate exercise requirements, come in a range of colors and are cute. I can see why they are popular.

I agree - its supply and demand. People want them so if the registered breeders dont want to rise to the occasion someone will take up the option. In fact why dont registered breeders who have the best for the breed at heart increase their production a bit to get in on the action ? They dont have to do it solely for the pet market but can also have more choices for the show ring and the gene pool.

In some apartment buildings you can only have a dog where you can carry it off and on the premises so demand for small dogs suitable for small spaces that can be carried will be more in demand anyway.

By the way they dont have anywhere near the problems that many brachy head breeds have - yet.

Edited by Steve