Hip & Elbow Scoring

Hi guys,

I am interested in how hip & elbow scoring works.

How does the scoring system work? Does the vet provide results or are they sent away?

What does it generally cost? (obviously that would vary with breed size)

The bigger the dog the more it costs as they gave to have a GA to be done. The actual scoring is around $100 for both hips and elbows. You need to find a vet that is familiar with doing it as incorrectly positioned dogs can get worse scores then they actually have or even have to re do them. The xrays are sent away to be scored by one of several vets in the country. Cost me about $400 to get xrays recently in my 32 kilo bitch. Your breed club should be able to help you find an experienced vet.

The bigger the dog the more it costs as they gave to have a GA to be done. The actual scoring is around $100 for both hips and elbows. You need to find a vet that is familiar with doing it as incorrectly positioned dogs can get worse scores then they actually have or even have to re do them. The xrays are sent away to be scored by one of several vets in the country. Cost me about $400 to get xrays recently in my 32 kilo bitch. Your breed club should be able to help you find an experienced vet.

Thank you!

I just had my Bergamasco's hips and elbows done 2 weeks ago.

Hes 29kg & it cost approx $400 total, for xrays & scoring.

The xrays were done in SA, sent to Dr Lavelle in Victoria & I had the results back 8 days later ????

The xrays were done in SA, sent to Dr Lavelle in Victoria & I had the results back 8 days later ????

That's pretty quick! How does the scoring system work for each?

There is now a new scheme which is run entirely by the ANKC. Actually the scheme is probably the same but rather than being jointly run by the Australian Veterinary Association and the Australian National Kennel Council it is now administered by the ANKC alone. Information on the scheme can be found here . http://ankc.org.au/HealthAndWelfare/?id=2516

The Vet who does the xrays cannot officially score the x-rays although a lot will make a comment on them. To be officially scored, in order to be included on the ANKC database they must be score by one of 3 or 4 Vets who are listed on the site above. I order for accurate breed average scores to be determined it is important IMO that all dogs x-rayed are officially scored.

Oh :) So that's what he's doing these days . I knew him way back in the 80's! He was the best then - did all the Guide Dogs' testing /orthopaedic surgery , and fixed my Mitch's luxating patella beautifully .

*resume normal programming*

sorry for the hijack :o