Genesis Dog Kibble

http://www.petfoodreviews.com.au/dry-dog-food/genesis/

Genesis is relatively new to the shelves but seems to be gaining a loyal following. I believe it’s made by the same company who make CopRice, which is a food we’ve rated 1 out of 5.

So how does this food compare? Let’s see…

I’ll take a look at the Chicken, Turkey, and Brown Rice formula. There’s also a Salmon and Brown Rice formula which is similar but higher in protein/fat.

The first ingredient is a combination of Chicken & Turkey. Meat should always be the first ingredient in a pet food, but when we take into account this will be approximately 70% water we can assume the second ingredient will make up the bulk of the food. That ingredient is Brown Rice, so we’re looking at the makings of a predominantly grain-based kibble.

Brown rice is a good choice of grain and more nutritious than the inferior white rice, and offers a slow-burning source of energy.

The third ingredient is Maize Protein (corn protein), which is a cheap way to bulk up protein in a dog food and cut down on meat. The protein is 26% which is slightly above average, but the majority of this will come from the corn. A dog’s digestive system can’t process grain proteins as efficiently as meat proteins.

The food goes a bit downhill from here. We find Rice Flour and Rice Bran making up the remainder of the top 5 ingredients. These are both fillers with little nutritional merit and can lead to bowel distress and diabetes. Rice bran is harsh on the digestive tract. So why are they included? Because they’re cheap.

Natural Chicken Flavour is a nice way of labeling what it really is – chicken digest, a nasty broth created from rendering chickens. It’s used as a palatent to encourage your dog to eat the food, as issalt which we also find in the ingredients.

It’s nice to see flax and chia seeds as a source of omega-3, as well as glucosamineand chondroitin to aid joint health.

This isn’t a bad food but it’s let down by a few cheap fillers. It seems to lack real meat content which is a shame. It’s still better than most foods available and is deserving of a high 3 stars.

Thanks Sas....I was wondering if anyone has first hand use of it, apart from the review by Dave-O.

Ah I see, you don't like Dave-O/respect his review of food?

I agree with him on this kibble. You don't need to try it to see what it's like - ingredients tell you what's in the bag.

I got a sample Sheena and spoke to them at Dog Lovers. It is the same company that makes Coprice and other horse feeds. They were totally open about that, probably the first thing they said to me.

I imagine that it is too new for many people to have used yet.

There were a number of new foods at Dog Lovers.

Not tried this brand but I do now buy aussie made, budget dry for two of my dogs.

$27 for 20kg.

It was too expensive feeding four big dogs super premium.

They are easy doers.

So I personally see no issue with this food if your dogs are easy feeders.

I only buy super premium for Ivy and our old boy.

Of course they all still get raw etc.

Thanks Sas....I was wondering if anyone has first hand use of it, apart from the review by Dave-O.

I agree with him on this kibble. You don't need to try it to see what it's like - ingredients tell you what's in the bag.

Or perhaps wants to see more than one opinion...?

Or perhaps wants to see more than one opinion...?

Yes...hoping for more than one opinion. Not saying I don't value Dave-O's opinion/review at all, but when I seek reviews on a product, I like to get a range of opinions, then draw my own conclusion, as to whether nor not I might buy that product...be it dog food or a steam cleaner

Any feedback on Genesis Dog Food, in particular the Salmon & rice Adult formula?? My link sorry if it has been done before, but I did a search & nothing came up :)

Not a good kibble, maybe if the first 2-3 ingredients were 3 meats followed by a meal, Chicken meal & Turkey Meal then brown rice, rice flour, rice bran yes it would be a good kibble, minus the Maize protein & beet pulp.....don't forget kibbles ingredient list is written when ingredients are raw, not cooked, so this kibble will be carb heavy & low on meat, after the ingredients are cooked, it will read, 1st-Maize Protein so CORN, 2nd-Brown rice,3rd-rice flour,4th rice bran, 5th-Chicken, 6th-turkey, no good if your dog has skin & stomach problems....If you Email Genesis they will send you samples, I picked the Chicken & Turkey & the kibble is real yellow in colour, like Royal Canine & Hills vet diets...

I can not understand its 2016 & these kibbles companies are still adding crappy ingredients, its unbelievable...no wonder people still buy American made kibbles...

Pet Barn also has a new kibble called "Leaps & Bounds" made by Pet Wise the packaging & front of kibble bag looks really good, Whitefish & Brown Rice or Lamb & Rice, Chicken & Rice or Beef & Rice, then you turn over bag & read the ingredients, 1st ingredient by-product Meats 2nd ingredient by-product Cereals Wheat & corn & this is Australian made & says New Zealand as well....

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2016 at 3:11 PM, sheena said:

Any feedback on Genesis Dog Food, in particular the Salmon & rice Adult formula?? My link sorry if it has been done before, but I did a search & nothing came up :)

Hi Sheena

Have you heard anyones  view point that has used the Puppy Salmon Kibble:)