Immune-Mediated Thrombocytopenia (Imt)

Wazzat Xolo

Looking for anyone who may have had a dog with Immune-mediated thrombocytopenia (IMT)

Basically is a very serious autoimmune disease in which a dog's body attacks its own blood platelets as though they are a pathogenic bacteria or virus. Thrombocytopenia is the technical word for low platelet count.

Platelets are components of blood produced in bone marrow. They are critical to blood clotting during what is called primary hemostasis -- the clotting that takes place immediately after an event that damages a blood vessel.

When the body's platelet count is depleted, severe bruising or uncontrolled bleeding can occur. Excessive bleeding and bruising can lead to anemia (a low red blood cell count), and if left untreated, death can result.

Me :( I've had two dogs with it. Dreadful disease and mortality rate is extremely high whether treated or not, depending on how low the platelet count gets and other factors.

What do you want to know Wazzat? Please don't tell me you have a dog diagnosed with it?

Me :( I've had two dogs with it. Dreadful disease and mortality rate is extremely high whether treated or not, depending on how low the platelet count gets and other factors.

What do you want to know Wazzat? Please don't tell me you have a dog diagnosed with it?

Thank You , yes we had a dog diagnosed, had a 0 count platelets, and was 0/4 (4 thrombocytes seen in 20 high power fields) for two days on day six went to 30 and was allowed home on Pred and Az, one treatment on vinicristine.

We are hoping that as day 8 the count was 120 next week it will be better, she is very dopey no doubt due to the high drugs, but we are hopeful we can wean her off once the immune system stops attacking the platelets. Our vet has stated she has a good chance and as this dog has cheated death before we are hopeful we can do it again.

Its hard to keep her appetite up, that's my only complaint, please tell me more on the high mortality rate, I read its treatable and worth the fight ??

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear that.

That said, it does sound as though you have been one of the lucky ones. That is an extremely low count, but to have her platelet count lift like that without transfusions is an excellent sign. Once a dog has to start on the transfusion path it is much harder work and the odds of survival drop significantly.

Definitely worth fighting for and you may never see it again. Have they scanned her thoroughly for any tumours or to find some primary reason?

Once a drop is mostly out of the woods, the next biggest issue is stomach ulcers for all the drugs and malnutrition from nausea. Again though this has been a very quick improvement for your girl so she is unlikely to be so negatively impacted from the drugs I would imagine.

I wish you all the very best.