Vet Costs Over A Year

Kirislin

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spend about $30 per month on prescription medication from the vet, yearly bloods/script consults would average out around $300, cost of triennial vacc per year for four dogs would be about $100. Add in the odd accident/emergency/random illness at an average cost of around $200..

Roughly $960 per year for us, on average. Obviously this doesn't include foster dogs and the desex/vacc/chip/teeth costs associated with them. The average also assumes nothing major like the year one of our oldies got cancer and we had a few thousand in that one year in vet expenses.

All things considered though, vet bills aren't too bad. Other things more than make up for it.. food is currently $4,380 a year (although they do get fresh, local raw for that money), coats and collars and other junk like replacing beds.. I couldn't even guess. To be honest, I don't think I'd want to know what I spend there.

Other things like flea/worming and other miscellaneous costs.. about $1,000 a year. I think vet bills are actually one of the cheapest ongoing costs for our dogs :eek:

It's funny how you don't realise just how much you've spent on vet bills until you add it up :o I work at the vet as well, so I get discounts... it still adds up though!

In the last 12 months vet bills have cost me over $700 for my old Kelpie. She had an emergency spay, as well as mammary tumours removed. She's since developed awful arthritis so the rest of the money was spent on meds, radiographs and chiropractor appointments.

Last year I also spent over $700 to save my cat's life when he got FIC.

In the last 12 months I've also spent over $1200 at the vets for my ferrets (This really shocks me, I didn't realise it was that much!). About $200 was towards getting my two youngest ferrets desexed. About $100 was for my oldest girl who had an ear infection... the rest was spent on my very first ferret Scrat who had Insulinoma as well as a lot of pain and other symptoms for an unknown reason... Caring for her in her last couple of months was an absolute nightmare and cost a fortune.

I never hesitate to spend what my animals need, over the years Cooper had an abscess drained and then when it returned 6months later we removed the offending tooth, then when he passed away (a lot of years later) his cremation and return was over $300.

Anna was on a weekly tablet, they were $30 every 6 months. Plus she had yearly blood tests to make sure they were working ($150 from memory). When she passed we used a different service but it was about $150 for her cremation.

Im not sorting life for a new puppy and havent even stopped to think about the costs of setting up again.

Three Labradors here, all bred by me, and all from very healthy lines. I doubt I top $500/yr for the three, unless you include the cost of Bravecto (flea and tick meds). With Bravecto it's closer to $1000/yr. My old girl (12 yr), thankfully, is still very healthy. The vet has pushed me to do blood panels for her, but the three times I've said yes they always came up showing no problems . .. so I stopped doing them.

It's not just money . . . also costs in time and worry.

I've taken to going to the wali-in mobile vet service at our local flea market. She's a good vet but offers limited services. Charges $25 for vaccinations and a basic health check. This helps control costs. Our local vet is absolutely awful about scheduling. I find I spend less time going to walk-in clinics than I do going to our local vet. Had a rather spectacular miss-diagnosis from our local vet (who has a great reputation) . . . not at all convinced that you get what you pay for with vet services.

Edited by sandgrubber

My two have been pretty good for some years now (*touch wood*) I anticipate more issues as they are getting older, Sonny of course cost a bomb as a pup with his liver shunt but it has been no trouble since then. They are on joint supplements on and off if they start to look creaky but other than that they have been pretty good. Lulu will need teeth doing at some stage her teeth are getting a bit yuk.

The horses are a different story, while Sonny's shunt surgery cost more than any one procedure with the horses, they still far outstrip the dogs when it comes to vet expenses.

Haven't added it up and have no intention of doing so. The minute I start to get concerned about the costs involved with my pets health and well being (provided I am not being overcharged for unnecessary services) it will be time for me to reevaluate if I am suitable to have pets.

I calculated Malcolm's costs for the year to date and felt terrible, like I'd put a price on his head. And then I came home and saw his adorable little self and forgot about it.

Having a dog with Addison's Disease, anxiety disorders and shonky conformation adds up. I'm so grateful for our lovely vets who relieve some of the pressure. I wouldn't trade him for the world.

I dont want to know but in the last 12 months the horses alone have coast me $3000.

I have had one dog taken out by another so rush to the vets, a very lame leg, two dogs with some weird spotty skin thing and a cat with a lump removed and on going visits and treatment for skin breakouts that I have duscovered was their food. Goodness knows what I have forgotten.

I don't want to know..........

I dont want to know but in the last 12 months the horses alone have coast me $3000.

I have had one dog taken out by another so rush to the vets, a very lame leg, two dogs with some weird spotty skin thing and a cat with a lump removed and on going visits and treatment for skin breakouts that I have duscovered was their food. Goodness knows what I have forgotten.

Oh horses - wow - they take the cake! One reason I like dog agility rather than show jumping :laugh:

Haven't added it up and have no intention of doing so. The minute I start to get concerned about the costs involved with my pets health and well being (provided I am not being overcharged for unnecessary services) it will be time for me to reevaluate if I am suitable to have pets.

That's a bit extreme. I'll happily pay for whatever treatment Justice needs but that doesn't mean I can't be concerned about the potential costs going forward, especially since he's roughly 11 this year, without being considered unsuitable to have pets. I get concerned about my own medical costs and unexpected expenses too. Life isn't cheap and most of us don't have unlimited incomes or financial resources.

I agree with Snook. It was also commented further up that this is the kind of thing new pet owners should know. I hate when people think a kitten is "free" because they paid nothing to become it's owner...It's important to realistically know and plan for the financial cost of owning a pet.

I know the running costs for my car and plan accordingly, I know the average daily cost of electricity for my home and also put an appropriate amount aside each week so we're not stung at the end of the quarter. How is it that taking the time to know that my dog will cost AT LEAST $1600 per year in vet fees alone makes me an unsuitable pet owner? He costs $20 a week in medication at the moment and I ensure I have that set aside so I can cover it.

Must be nice to have a money tree growing in the back yard.

Oh horses - wow - they take the cake! One reason I like dog agility rather than show jumping :laugh:

Step-dads retired old man gouged a huge hole in his neck the other day (mothers day) - cost a bomb to have the vet come out and tidy it up. Little shitter. Same paddock he's lived in for years - they're still not sure what he did it on. Luckily, my brother is a farrier and he was home for mothers day and was also doing a general tidy up on everyone so they caught it fresh.

I have five dogs and 11 cats. The vet bills are nothing compared to the feed bills. I spend around 300-400 per month on food and flea/worm treatment. I am a vet nurse so I get medications and vaccinations at cost price. Pets are blood expensive.

That's a bit extreme. I'll happily pay for whatever treatment Justice needs but that doesn't mean I can't be concerned about the potential costs going forward, especially since he's roughly 11 this year, without being considered unsuitable to have pets. I get concerned about my own medical costs and unexpected expenses too. Life isn't cheap and most of us don't have unlimited incomes or financial resources.

I agree with Snook. It was also commented further up that this is the kind of thing new pet owners should know. I hate when people think a kitten is "free" because they paid nothing to become it's owner...It's important to realistically know and plan for the financial cost of owning a pet.

I know the running costs for my car and plan accordingly, I know the average daily cost of electricity for my home and also put an appropriate amount aside each week so we're not stung at the end of the quarter. How is it that taking the time to know that my dog will cost AT LEAST $1600 per year in vet fees alone makes me an unsuitable pet owner? He costs $20 a week in medication at the moment and I ensure I have that set aside so I can cover it.

I can assure you I do not have money tree growing in my back yard!

I take my pets as a luxury and give up other things to have them and let them live the life I want for them. Both are insured and both cost me quite a bit of money but adding it up is only going to cause more concern than I believe it is worth. Having an almost 12 year old Great Dane and cat who is nearly 10 and having grown up with pets I know they can cost a lot to keep and they are a big responsibility not just something to get on a whim.

Certainly if you haven't had a pet before you need to do your homework and realise they are going to cost money, as I am fully aware of the costs involved but don't want to add it up I don't see a problem provided I am happy with how I manage my own finances.

I can assure you I do not have money tree growing in my back yard!

I take my pets as a luxury and give up other things to have them and let them live the life I want for them. Both are insured and both cost me quite a bit of money but adding it up is only going to cause more concern than I believe it is worth. Having an almost 12 year old Great Dane and cat who is nearly 10 and having grown up with pets I know they can cost a lot to keep and they are a big responsibility not just something to get on a whim.

Certainly if you haven't had a pet before you need to do your homework and realise they are going to cost money, as I am fully aware of the costs involved but don't want to add it up I don't see a problem provided I am happy with how I manage my own finances.

I can't speak for Scottsmum but my response to your comment was in relation to you suggesting that if you are ever concerned about the costs associated with owning a pet, you're not a suitable owner. If you don't want to add up the costs for you, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, and I don't spend all my time thinking about how much Justice has cost me either. I've gone without things so that I can give him what he needs and I'll continue to do that whenever it's needed. He's my main priority and I will always put his needs ahead of my own, even though some may say my priorities are messed up. Perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying and you didn't mean that anyone who is concerned about the money spent probably shouldn't own animals?

Snook I only meant me, I probably didn't word it very well, whoops. I would never judge others if they want to add up the costs and budget for their animals that's great, I'm not a budget person. I have in my mind what I need to pay for each fortnight and what is left over I use to buy food and the necessary for my pets and me. I don't have a second dog because I know I could not afford one without getting worried the costs are too high. As I am now with my two I am comfortable and can manage unexpected expenses even if it means I need to pay it off. Hope that explains where I am coming from, it is just me and not a judgement on anyone else. Give Justice a big pat.

It's been a terrible year for us with vet bills. Our tibbie just had a heart procedure. The total cost from diagnosis is $8400. It's made me gulp and sigh many times but she is cured so definitely worth it. The vet was wonderful and the whole team very professional. I am really hoping both tibbies need nothing more than vaccinations for the rest of the year!

Snook I only meant me, I probably didn't word it very well, whoops. I would never judge others if they want to add up the costs and budget for their animals that's great, I'm not a budget person. I have in my mind what I need to pay for each fortnight and what is left over I use to buy food and the necessary for my pets and me. I don't have a second dog because I know I could not afford one without getting worried the costs are too high. As I am now with my two I am comfortable and can manage unexpected expenses even if it means I need to pay it off. Hope that explains where I am coming from, it is just me and not a judgement on anyone else. Give Justice a big pat.

Ok - Sorry for snapping. I must admit I read it as if you meant knowing your expenses meant you thought someone was an un-suitable owner.

My dog really does come first and we're a one pet family for the same reasons (I really want a kitten and a rabbit at the moment and neither are happening because I know we don't have the money and I dont want to draw from Scotties reserves). We try our hardest to provide the very best for him. As a rule, he eats better than us, he sees the doctor far more often than we do, we gets new toys, bedding and clothing than we do too in general. Sometimes that means getting creative, or doing things on the cheap (most bedding and clothes are second hand), but it also always means knowing what we're in for. I'm not going to buy a new toy then be all "whoops - no wormer for you this month".

Bearing in mind that the OP did actually say "day to day" (or something to that tune) - so day to day - that's our lot. For an out of the blue *can't be forseen expense* I have a completely in credit - credit card sitting there to be used at the drop of a hat - if he was going to max that out the injury or illness would probably be big enough to have a "quality of life" kind of conversation.

I know rescue doesn't count, 1 dog = $1500 just last week. :rofl:

But my own dogs, really quite fit touch wood. They've had good lives and haven't reached the age where things start getting steeper. Most expenses go on food and some on fleas.

My poor cat though :( only to lose him to lymphoma too young.

No harm done or offence taken Snook and Scottsmum, forums are there for debate too and sometimes the intended message gets lost. I admit I am not always very clear when I add replies. Thanks for delivering the pat to Justice :D