Vet Costs Over A Year

Kirislin

This year has been a shocker for vet bills. Mostly voluntary laugh.gif

Dogs

X-Rays $300 x 2

Hip/Elbow Scores $120 x 2

DNA Swabs (Consult) $30 x 2 (My vet is awesomely inexpensive)

DNA Tests $175 x 2

Along with my SIL I whelped a litter out of my two dogs (her prefix) and costs there were about a total of $650 for the litter of 5 including raising a cleft palate pup.

Horse

$220 for a cut on her chin (to be fair, $75 for travel & $80 for a tub of Prednoderm which will last me a long time :D )

I did up spreadsheets for all my animals. My chooks were the cheapest at $700/yr for feed/worming/the odd bag of shavings/meds

Dogs were most expensive... Even the horse wasn't as expensive when I included all the possible memberships & shows (PHAA, reining stuff, a few shows & a clinic or two) eek1.gif

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually I can't bear to think about it, but since we are only 4+ months into 2016, I did a calculation for 2016 to date - it came to just short of $1000.00 and that's just the vet!!

Anyone want a spaniel???

Oh my god you brave people. I never, never ever add up the vets bill. To afraid it may give me a heart attack. :laugh:

:thumbsup:

I can't bear to put a price on them either :) I owe them everything.

I dont normally do it, I dont begrudge my animal family at all. I had a reason for doing it which I wont go into, but I was shocked when I had to add it all up.

Oh my god you brave people. I never, never ever add up the vets bill. To afraid it may give me a heart attack. :laugh:

I dont normally do it, I dont begrudge my animal family at all. I had a reason for doing it which I wont go into, but I was shocked when I had to add it all up.

Oh absolutely. I have thought about adding up the costs for breeding a litter but.... *puts head firmly in the sand*

Usually I can't bear to think about it, but since we are only 4+ months into 2016, I did a calculation for 2016 to date - it came to just short of $1000.00 and that's just the vet!!

Anyone want a spaniel???

Thanks, but I've got quite enough crazy in this house :D

Oh absolutely. I have thought about adding up the costs for breeding a litter but.... *puts head firmly in the sand*

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I try not to look! I work in a vet clinic and get it all discounted too!

This year Elsie has had a broken metatarsal which has cost me in the region of $600 and we didn't even go to surgery for it :laugh: She has had lots of X rays of it, pain relief, sedatives to keep her quiet, got an infection after molesting her foot so had antibiotics and topical cream for it, ate a number of splints and E collars and ate her way through lots of treats trying to keep her quiet. That + osteo ($120) for Elsie, physio for Ping ($250), vaccinations x2, I buy my supplements and food through work for them, put Ping on the microchip register here ($17) and all the bits and bobs like worming and fleaing stuff etc etc

We're on $0 for this year, probably under $500 for the duration of Didi's life. She's only ever had an ear infection and Kennel Cough that's needed attention and a checkup/vacc once a year.

When you have a big dog that is terrified of the vet you learn to only go if you reaaallly have to. Luckily she is also *touch wood* a very healthy dog and despite being a massive klutz, rarely hurts herself more than the odd scrape or cut.

I try not to look! I work in a vet clinic and get it all discounted too!

This year Elsie has had a broken metatarsal which has cost me in the region of $600 and we didn't even go to surgery for it :laugh: She has had lots of X rays of it, pain relief, sedatives to keep her quiet, got an infection after molesting her foot so had antibiotics and topical cream for it, ate a number of splints and E collars and ate her way through lots of treats trying to keep her quiet. That + osteo ($120) for Elsie, physio for Ping ($250), vaccinations x2, I buy my supplements and food through work for them, put Ping on the microchip register here ($17) and all the bits and bobs like worming and fleaing stuff etc etc

We once had a free cat dental because the Wednesday locum thought our girl was a sweet heart.... :eek:

Gawd I miss those days. Cost price carprofen, cost price flea and wormer... actually cost price anything you could order and super cheap vet care :)

This is part of the education I wish would be shared with the general public before they get a puppy and decide it costs too much. I am scared to work out what my dogs cost. They eat better than me, have medical care more often than me and own more expensive accessories! They even have newer beds and blankets than me. Oh and grooming sessions and massages and new toys.

About 2 years ago I was speaking to one of the girls at he vet's, and she told me I had spent "a bit over $20K" in the 10 years I had been going there.

I now spend about $140.00 per week on meds for Whitney (great dane) as she has 2 heart conditions, allergies and anxiety. She also periodically gets acupuncture for the anxiety which keeps it better controlled.

Harry (greyhound) is on Previcox for his hip as well.

I haven't worked out how much food, worming, etc some to, as I don't think I want to know!!

Thank goodness I love them :)

This is part of the education I wish would be shared with the general public before they get a puppy and decide it costs too much. I am scared to work out what my dogs cost. They eat better than me, have medical care more often than me and own more expensive accessories! They even have newer beds and blankets than me. Oh and grooming sessions and massages and new toys.

Had that conversation the other day - I was having coffee with a group of people. We were talking about kittens and I said I desperately wanted one but couldn't afford it. One of the women looked at me and said "oh they're free on facebook all the time - all mine cost is a box of biscuits and some jelly meat every few weeks".

My mum always used to say - the cheapest part of buying a horse is buying the horse!

I looked up how much I spent at my vet (also my work) since I started there and I wish I hadn't... lets just say it's in the realm of a nice new car.

$2000 on meds per year alone for my 5 year old atopic dog but he also requires hypoallergenic food + a dental at least yearly since he can't tolerate bones, thankfully it is all cost but still a lot of money!

Max has just cost us over $5000 for emergency surgery for bladder stones. There's not a lot of options when they are peeing blood eek1.gif

But for Remy, the most I have had to pay was $350 for xrays because he ate a box of staples - he was fine because he chewed them very carefully and we gave him lots of soft food afterwards to help things 'pass'.

So I guess it evens out in the end.