Rubber For Contact Equipment

sheena

I investigated using the rubber for my home made seesaw, but found it was hard to get and way too expensive. I think the cheapest option was child's playground coating.

I ended up covering the plank with heavy duty PVC tarpaulin (pop riveting and gluing it down), and then dribbled on polyurethane elastomer, which you buy as a 2 part liquid and mix together. The result was very grippy, even in the wet.

Here is what it looks like:

SeeSaw1_zpsv6qbppd4.jpg

SeeSaw4_zps2dvjrzv3.jpg

SeeSaw7_zpsbikwafux.jpg

• Like 1

Theres a few places and large variety of prices. A friend and I have both just gotten new dog walks made and have gotten most of the bits and pieces to chip them. The agility nats have gotten in the way and they will be finished once that is over.

Yes you can get a version at Bunnings. They only have quite dark colours in stock. It does say you can special order the lighter colours but that is at a significantly higher price. The chip is the kind that is black in the middle and colour coated.

BBAE on the central coast will sell you the right amount for contacts. He makes agility gear. He has blue yellow and purple chips and its the type with the colour all the way through. Bit more expensive. He has just put up an excellent video that explains how to do the whole process from woe to go that is very informative. Explains the ratio of resin to chip etc. Apparently its about 4 kilos of chip per board of the dog walk.

BBAE gets his supplies in bulk from A1 in Sydney. They are a bit cheaper per kilo to buy from but they have such a lot of product (in a rainbow of colours) and agility gear, using such a small amount, doesn't really factor on their radar as big customers. They mainly do floors and kid play areas etc. They were lovely to talk to and answered lots of silly questions but they sell their chip in 25 kilo lots (per colour.) I was quoted $7.90 per kilo for 'EPDM' which is the colour all the way through stuff. White is cheaper at only $5.50 a kilo. 20.5 litres of resin is $246 + gst. They said 4:1 ratio of chip to resin by weight. They have the black in the middle colour outside kind too. Not sure on price.

My friend did find a smaller manufacturer a bit cheaper but it was a bit random what colours would be available. He did that trip so not sure what their name was.

I think if its just you, hunt around for smaller businesses. If you can get a couple of friends to club together and all do your gear. Help each other do it and buy in bulk then A1 is the go.

I don't doubt there are many other places but these were just the few we looked at last month in NSW when we bought our supplies.

I will add that another friend of mine chipped her dog walk years and years ago and she used all one colour and then painted the contact colour over the top. Lasted well and grip was fine. Dogwalk lived outdoors 100% of the time too.

Edited by TigerJack

Bunnings have that stuff they make soft fall in playgrounds out of that some of our locals have used to rubberise contacts.

It comes as a bag of rubber bits and a two part glue stuff that you mix up and then put in the bag of rubber stuff and shake up until mixed and then apply to what you want to be padded rubbery.

It does seem expensive tho (from bunnings).

Thanks for all the suggestions guys :thumbsup:

Redsonic ...thats interesting with the elastomer. We used that grippy fibreglass matting that you buy for caravan annex flooring for the A-Frame, but when it is damp it is quite slippery. On the see saw & the dog walk we used course sand, but that also gets slippery when damp. This is all for my home equipment. The club did their equipment last year, so when I go to training next week, I will ask them where they got it from.

Thanks for the link to BBAE, Tigerjack, that is exactly what I am after :thumbsup: & I will definately check out what Bunnings have to offer Mrs RB, before I go to the expense of getting the other stuff.

Bunnings works out heaps cheaper then any of the other places. Limited colour range though but the chip is effectively the same. Friend recently did all her home gear in the green bunnings pour in place product and is more then happy with it.

• 11 months later...

Hi,

I just bought the pour on rubber from bunnings, but as mentioned here it only comes in very dark colours, so I was wanting to paint it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Specifically, I was wondering what kind of paint to use? And it the rubber would still provide enough traction for the dog after being painted? Any tips are appreciated! Thanks :)