Which Breed For Us?

ash1

We are trying to decide on the best breed for a new pup to join our family, hopefully towards the end of this year.

We are on 120 acres and have a menagerie of animals including other dogs (mostly small breed), cats, pigs, chooks, horses, etc. So it cannot be a hunting breed who may go against training to follow instinct and hurt our other pets. Also not to make a sport out of hunting the possums that run around the property every night.

Having recently lost our large breed dog, I am feeling a bit insecure about the times when my husband goes away for work and I am left alone on a rural property, so a large breed "tough looking" dog is a must. We don't want an aggressive dog, but one that "looks the part" has a nice deep bark and would protect if push ever did come to shove. Something with looks to deter anyone who may be considering entering uninvited.

Predominately we are looking for a family pet, one who will live inside with us and be part of the family.

I love the heavy set mastiff type dogs (adore the look of the Cane Corso, but fear that would go for the pigs, chooks, cats, small dogs) and also like the "old style" German Shepherds. We don't do any dog sports such as obedience, agility, showing, our dogs are just pets who mostly hang out on the property with us, so I fear that a working dog like a shepherd may become bored and guess a lazier type couch potato dog is what we are looking for. A nice, big, heavyset couch potato who is a pussycat with the other animals.

We do go for walks around the property with the dogs, they swim in the dam and the creek in the summer, however often we are just working around the yard and the dogs have to just "hang out" and run around the house yard (approx 3 acres) with us while we do our chores. So apart from "guarding" we don't need a dog who needs a job to do to be a happy and balanced individual. We will take the new dog to puppy school and then obedience training,for all the basics, but not as an ongoing "sport" for all the dog's life.

We are experienced owners and I work in a dog boarding kennel, so this is not a first time big breed dog and we are both confident in handling dogs of all temperaments.

Love some breed suggestions please...

A beautiful well bred Rottweiler.

I have a son who lives on property in NSW and his wife agists horses, they have two beautiful Rotties who both roam and laze around the five acres, but their bark is that lovely deep bark that would definitely keep any strangers away, they get on with the horses as a matter of fact they just ignore them.

When night falls they come in for their dinner and then spend the rest of the night at their feet watching TV or sound asleep.

My son does have quite a few trips overseas for business during the year but is happy in the knowledge that the two Rotties are there for protection.

If you considered this breed be sure you get it from a reputable breeder, the Rottweiler club in your state would put you in the right direction.

A beautiful well bred Rottweiler.

I have a son who lives on property in NSW and his wife agists horses, they have two beautiful Rotties who both roam and laze around the five acres, but their bark is that lovely deep bark that would definitely keep any strangers away, they get on with the horses as a matter of fact they just ignore them.

When night falls they come in for their dinner and then spend the rest of the night at their feet watching TV or sound asleep.

My son does have quite a few trips overseas for business during the year but is happy in the knowledge that the two Rotties are there for protection.

If you considered this breed be sure you get it from a reputable breeder, the Rottweiler club in your state would put you in the right direction.

Oooh yes! I definitely agree that arottie would be perfect for what the Op has described.

Such a lovely well rounded breed, that can do just about anything :thumbsup:

I was thinking Rottweiler too, until I read the bit about the OP wanting the dog to not make a sport of hunting the possums at night.....

Lol yes, but there aren't many dogs generally that won't be stimulated by possums at night!

I was thinking Rottweiler too, until I read the bit about the OP wanting the dog to not make a sport of hunting the possums at night.....

Lol yes, but there aren't many dogs generally that won't be stimulated by possums at night!

was just going to say that. Even mine go nuts at the possums.

Leonberger, Newfoundland, Mastiff come to mind. Or look into the Livestock guardians.

However, I would never rely on any dog to protect you just because of its breed. Unless you have specifically trained your dog in protection, you just can't know for sure how it would react in a situation like that.

I also think that if you don't want it to chase possums, then the easiest and most assured way is to have it sleep indoors at night.

was just going to say that. Even mine go nuts at the possums.

This is all of our dogs, replacing "squirrel" with "possum" :laugh:

Edited by Allerzeit

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, gratefully received and researching has begun!

I had thought about a Rottweiler last night before I wrote the post... just thought... hmmm, wonder about a rottie.

Should also have mentioned we want a short coat breed, it's a farm environment and we just don't have the time to put into a long haired breed, it really needs to have a "wash and go" type hairstyle :laugh: I'd love a long haired shepherd, but unfortunately really not practical. One of my dream breeds would be a malamute, but again, not practical for our lifestyle, sadly.

The dogs all sleep inside with us at night, so the possum thing is not a make or break, we have a possum who lives in the roof of our laundry and clambers over the roof in his hobnail boots each night, our dogs just ignore it, but when they go outside for toilet breaks and spy a possum they're pretty interested. I just don't want a hunting dog who will chase for the kill obsessively. I don't mind them having a bit of a bark, used to that.

My husband would dearly love another shepherd (our old boy passed a couple of years ago), but I am just worried about such an intelligent breed and the boredom factor? I only work mornings, so I'm generally home with the dogs in the afternoons, but not "entertaining" the dogs with sports, etc, they hang out with me and run around the house yard, they "help" with the chores in the afternoons, etc, but generally life here is just hanging out and playing with each other around the (very large) yard. It was enough for our old shepherd, "guarding" was his self-appointed job and he had spots in the yard and house where he could lay to survey. He was happy with that, but he was old with bad hips and happy just doing that.

I guess the issue is; I would love a large, bulky mastiff type dog, hubby has agreed to a shepherd. I am worried about the boredom factor for an active working dog like a shepherd, hubby is worried about the "kill" factor for a mastiff type dog - I would really have my work cut out for me to push a mastiff type dog through instead of a shepherd. But not all mastiff type dogs were breed for hunting, more guarding I believe?

Flame suit on but you seem to use the word Kill factor an awful lot & i think you need to understand the breeds more or else your going to end up with the wrong dog & have the wrong understanding of how they work .

All dogs will hunt,all dogs get bored,all dogs are smart & need to have there minds exercised .

What you need to look at is what are the breeds you already have & what will there manners be like around a large dog ,if they have simply been around an old GSD that most likely didn't interact with them then they will make or break how any new dog settles in especially a giant goofy large breed .

So it comes down to the fact the large breed puppy will need time out for everyone else & the small dogs will need time out.The temp of the current dogs must be factored into what they can handle & live with .

I have large & small dogs & all parties have manners towards each other the little ones can not torment the big dogs & the big dogs must lay down to see the little dogs but they do spend alot of separate time so each sizes can play & be the size they are .

38kg v 7 kg .

It has always worked well for us but we are very careful .

If the Mastiff style is for you then i hope you love drool

Edited by showdog

I would have thought the average GSD would have more prey drive (desire to hunt, chase, catch other animals) than your average mastiff, but I could be wrong.

Also, you have to remember that when mastiffs were used for hunting, they were used to hold the quarry, they weren't meant to kill it, or bite to kill.

I would have thought the average GSD would have more prey drive (desire to hunt, chase, catch other animals) than your average mastiff, but I could be wrong.

Also, you have to remember that when mastiffs were used for hunting, they were used to hold the quarry, they weren't meant to kill it, or bite to kill.

Yes, the Bullmastiff is a case in point. I would look at a well-bred Rottweiler or Bullmastiff

My son's family also have a small white fluffy, Maggie, she was the first dog on the property, she is big as nothing weighing in at about no more than 2-3kg and she has no problems with the two Rotties, when I have visited she just lays in the sun with them, they get on really well with each other and I know that they have never had an altercation between them, she would be dead in one bite if that was ever to happen, but these Rotties have been taught to respect her, must add even their exotic cat is in the mix as well. :laugh: :thumbsup: Speaking as I have found these two get on with small dogs, cats and the horses that live on the property.

My dog with the highest prey drive is a Standard Poodle. She kills anything small and fluffy she can get her paws on. :( Bullmastiffs are pretty laid back and I doubt they would have as much prey drive as GSD.