Dog Barking At Possums

Blackdog10

Hi, I have a 1.5yo dog -I went away for 4 nights and had a friend stay and look after him, I've come back and now he has suddenly realised there are possums in the yard at night. They've been there the entire time I've had him, he's always slept outside, and trust me I've tried have him sleep inside but he doesn't want to, he always goes outside. So my issue is, how do I train him not to bark constantly at the possums after I go to sleep? Ive tried locking him into his crate for a short period of time, I just feel bad locking him up all night as I feel that's too long. This didn't happen before I left and my mate reckons it didn't happen either but I'm 3 nights back and it's happened every night. I can't sleep and I'm guessing it's annoying the neighbours. Just trying to ask a question now before it gets too far gone. Thank you.

Yep, I have 4 who sleep in crates inside for this very reason. 2 bark at possums and drag the other two along with them so they all sleep inside. It's rare they ask to get out at night and it's usually because I've been slack with toileting.

You make possums reliably predict something very very good, like cheese or BBQ chicken or roast meat.

SEE HERE: http://grishastewart.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/counterconditioning-ahimsa-manual.jpg

Another way is to train your dog to do a conflicting behaviour. When my dog barked at possums, I would call him inside and tell him to go to his bed. "Go to bed" wasn't said as a punishment (this is very important!!) but as a conflicting command. "Do this" not "don't do that." It is physically impossible to be outside barking at possums at the same time that you are inside on your bed.

It is easier if you have a rock solid come inside when called. When your dog is outside at any time but not barking, call him in and reward him with an AMAZING treat even if he dawdles. Note that it has to be a high value treat, not just an everyday treat.

Agree with the previous posts re a crate. Once they are crate trained, it really is like a doggy den for them, and they are happy in it. All night should be no problem.

Make sure he is getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation during the day.

You counter condition this behaviour (as Papillon Kisses suggests), but initially it would involve being with him at night every time he sees a possum, so probably not practical.

I would definitely contact the neighbours to let them know you are working on the problem. Far better to placate them than to have a complaint to council. As annoying as his barking is to you, multiply it tenfold for the neighbours, as he is not their dog!

Agree with the previous posts re a crate. Once they are crate trained, it really is like a doggy den for them, and they are happy in it. All night should be no problem.

Make sure he is getting plenty of exercise and mental stimulation during the day.

You counter condition this behaviour (as Papillon Kisses suggests), but initially it would involve being with him at night every time he sees a possum, so probably not practical.

I would definitely contact the neighbours to let them know you are working on the problem. Far better to placate them than to have a complaint to council. As annoying as his barking is to you, multiply it tenfold for the neighbours, as he is not their dog!

Agree, too. Wise advice about letting neighbours know you are considerate of them & are working on a solution.

Bit O/T, but 'natural causes' fixed the problem next door. Possum came to regularly sit on the edge of the back deck roof. Discovered by tibbie, Brockie, who'd bark at it. One night during this drama, possum shifted position & fell! Right on top of Brockie. Both scared out of their wits, took off in different directions. From then on, Brockie didn't stir up the 'flying' possums.

They don't have to necessarily see the possum. My dog's main trigger was the sound they made rustling in the trees but especially that terrible fighting (mating?) sound. You could presumably find videos or recordings of possums online to get the sound and then desensitise/counter condition that. In any case, my dog sleeps inside at night and the behaviour modification happened in the evening pre bed. It carried over.

It is much easier to lock them inside, but if the dog is anything like mine the mere sound of a possum would wind him up from indoors so you still have a problem to address.

You said you tried to have him sleep inside but he just doesn't want to...ok who's the boss here? Obviously not you. MAKE him sleep inside. Use a crate at first if you have to, he'll get used to it.

You pay for his food and vet bills, you provide a nice home and companionship, all you ask is in return is that he do as you ask and sleep inside.

That's the answer to the problem