Breeder Refusing Refund For Pure Bred Puppy

matt1234

G'day all, I've just registered to get some insight into my situation.

My partner purchased a pure breed bull terrier puppy from a breeder registered with this site for $2000 to breed with. We had him delivered by plane from Brisbane and he didn't look right, when we took him to the vets she told us he had a sever overshot jaw (the bottom K9's are drilling holes in the roof of his mouth, she wouldn't recommend breeding with him), she told us his jaw would change overtime but it would not correct it as its quite sever, and he will probably have to have his bottom adult K9's removed. We checked the Vet report supply by the breeder that we received after receiving the puppy and that Vet also noted the issue with his bottom jaw.

We contacted and questioned the breeder within one week of having the puppy asking why she with held this Vet report from us until the pup was delivered and explain that we wish to send him back for a refund, with the return drive + flight covered by us- bring our loss to +$800 after the $2000 paid to her. She refused, and not won't answer emails or phone calls and we haven't even been sent any of his official breeding papers.

just want to know where we stand and our best approach? we have had the pup for almost 2 weeks now.

Maybe ring up Dogs QLD (or whichever applies in the state where the dog is from) and discuss with them.

Also talk to consumer affairs in your state or the state where the dog is from because you did not get what you paid for.

There's always a risk buying a dog without going out there to see it and the parent dogs.

If what you say is the real story the breeder has breached her code of ethics and consumer law.

You need to put what you have to say and include vet reports to the breeder giving her 14 days to respond .If you get no joy then lodge an official report with the state Canine association and consumer affairs.

The product had a fault which the breeder was aware of at time of sale and she didnt inform you and as a result it isnt fit for the purpose it was sold - breeding

Guest crazydoglady99

Hey.. just be careful not to identify the breeder in here. It might come back to bite you.

Good luck. What a shitty situation!

I'd say as advised, fair trading, can you prove it was for breeding, anything in writing? Its still faulty, and the breeder knew about it too.

I'd say they are hoping you get attached and don't want to return it. :(

Maybe ring up Dogs QLD (or whichever applies in the state where the dog is from) and discuss with them.

Also talk to consumer affairs in your state or the state where the dog is from because you did not get what you paid for.

There's always a risk buying a dog without going out there to see it and the parent dogs.

Sorry disagree you with you.

Do not tar us all with the one brush. The majority of us are ethical registered breeders and would not do a thing like this. But as to purchasing sight unseen, so many of us do send quality pups to purchasers without the slightest hitch. As to seeing both parents sometimes that is an impossibility when we use interstate sires or frozen semen from overseas. :)

Do not tar us all with the one brush. The majority of us are ethical registered breeders and would not do a thing like this. But as to purchasing sight unseen, so many of us do send quality pups to purchasers without the slightest hitch. As to seeing both parents sometimes that is an impossibility when we use interstate sires or frozen semen from overseas. :)

Agree with you, Ive been a registered breeder since 1978 and would never do such a thing. I only know of one breeder who did that to someone interstate and their name is mud now.

I received a call from interstate yesterday wanting a puppy, they saw one that someone else had bought last year and want one just like it and had asked for the breeders details.

the best advertising you can get.

So sad for the op

Head straight to consumer affairs and the controlling body the breeder belongs to and raise cain, the breeder has breeched the code of ethics as others have said

Edited by asal

Agree there is no risk involved in purchasing one of my puppies sight unseen. Ive been doing this for fourty years without a single hitch.

If a breeder sells a dog with a fault without notifying the potential new owner its against the law and against the codes they operate under.

Do not tar us all with the one brush.

I said it was a risk. If you haven't met the breeder, seen their dogs and the puppy - you risk trouble.

There have been a lot of threads in here where exactly that has happened. This is not the first person in here who has not gotten what they paid for.

A risk - is a chance that they picked the wrong person to buy from. They reduce that risk substantially by going and meeting face to face.

Just because some of you do the right thing does not change the chance that in all the breeders selling dogs that some don't do the right thing.

Risk - a chance of - is not the same as an absolute certainty - which is how you've interpreted what I wrote.

If there was no risk - there would be no threads in here where people did not get what they paid for.

I got burned buying out of state , bitch turned up with dreadful dry eye that was never disclosed to me through numerous emails and phone chats prior. :(

However i agree that you cant always meet both parents etc

It is a bit of a lottery sometimes, and just by picking a breeder from the dol breed pages is not guarantee enough.

Having the pup for 2 weeks would be for me, long enough to not want to send it back no matter what was wrong with it……..The longer you have it the more difficult it is to send it back.

In any event you really need exhaust your legal options. The Office of Fair Trade is your first stop.

https://www.qld.gov.au/law/laws-regulated-industries-and-accountability/queensland-laws-and-regulations/fair-trading-services-programs-and-resources/fair-trading-latest-news/media-statements/gympie-breeder-gone-to-the-dogs/

ETA: The breeder may not be registered despite being registered as a member here.

Edited by Dogdragon

Apologies for the silly question. :o

Breeders; if a dog is sold for breeding like this one is, it's on the mains register yes?

So is it regarded as worse (or grounds for a warning from their registering body) for a wonky faulty dog to be on a main register or is it just left to the breeder's discretion and that's all?

Breeders; if a dog is sold for breeding like this one is, it's on the mains register yes?

So is it regarded as worse (or grounds for a warning from their registering body) for a wonky faulty dog to be on a main register or is it just left to the breeder's discretion and that's all?

Its up to the breeder to decide whether the papers are issued as main or limited. The breeder is required to follow the code of ethics that relates to that state. The fact these people did not receive any papers is suspicious if they are a registered breeder. Papers are required from all registered breeders regardless of pet quality or show quality

This is a good question. In 40 years I've never bred a dog with a shonky jaw. If it happened I would be upset and I would never consider using that dog for breeding or selling it for breeding BUT in some breeds its quite common and the breeders have a bit of a complacency about it

One of my sons purchased a pup from SA as a breeding dog and when it arrived the vet papers said it had an undershot jaw and it was obvious .There was no way the breeder could have thought the jaw was O.K. and she knew he wanted it to breed with. But she didn't consider it something out of the ordinary for the breed so she couldn't see she should have disclosed this to my son. I have had lots of conversations with other breeders who just don't see it as an issue.

In some breeds jaws like this are quite common and some breeders don't think its a deal at all let alone a big deal or something that they need to disclose to the buyer ,or something that would count it not suitable for breeding.

To them its a normal part of breeding their breed and it doesn't discount the dog from breeding - so to at least to a degree some breeders would issue a dog with an incorrect bite with main register papers. In the big scheme of things it should be easy to breed away from and mostly does not impact on quality of life etc. So some breeders would say - whats the problem you can still breed with it. Bit silly isn't it that they ban some colours from being on main register but ANYTHING else is up to the breeder. Justifiable to some because of size of gene pools, other potential issues in the bred etc but in my opinion even if a breeder thinks its still O.K. to breed with they HAVE to inform the buyer of the fault.

Edited by Steve

If he's overshot the jaw may correct itself as the bottom jaw is the last to develop.

If he's undershot ( the bottom jaw is longer than the top ) then there is no chance it will correct.

Is he under of over ?

Not if the jaw is severely overshot as the OP has described. The teeth are digging holes in the roof of his mouth. My puppy had this and had to have his puppy canines removed. The top jaw then continued to grow and the bottom jaw got worse.