Declared Dangerous Dog Escapes Confinement And Attacks

Redsonic

An horrific experience for the owners of 2 small dogs walking past the yard of a dog that had already been declared dangerous after killing a Maltese. Broken fingers, amputated finger, and the poor little dog needed a leg amputated.

This happened in Springfield, a relatively new suburb between Brisbane and Ipswich.

The owners sound so reasonable. There is a quaver in their voices when they talk about their little dog Lilly and the attack, but they sound so sensible, just asking that a dog like that be well restrained :banghead:

I can't figure out how the attacking dog got out of its yard, but it obviously wasn't contained to dangerous dog requirements.

If anything good has come out of this report, it got my partner and I talking about how to (safely) protect our terrier if something like this happens to us. :shrug:

9 News Brisbane

There shouldn't be any second chances given. If a dog has killed another dog then that should be that. In this case the owner deserves the $35,000 fine that can be levelled at her, well and truly, this was horrific.

The amount of attacks going on in the same part of QLD beggars belief, absolutely staggering.

I looked at this story and then two more about dogs attacks, all very disturbing.

I listened to a news interview with this couple as they both lay in hospital beds beside each other. They said as they walked past the dogs yard it was throwing itself at the fence. It must have gone through it or the fence came down and it then went straight for their little dog. I can't imagine how scary that would be!

I have to walk past a house at the bottom of my street which has a barking German Shepherd who's front feet hang over the top of the fence while he's barking. I don't look at him and just keep moving but Im just waiting for the day he decides to go over the top. I'd love to complain but who to? Nothing has actually happened yet so it seems a little petty.

Edited by Roova

There shouldn't be any second chances given. If a dog has killed another dog then that should be that. In this case the owner deserves the $35,000 fine that can be levelled at her, well and truly, this was horrific.

The amount of attacks going on in the same part of QLD beggars belief, absolutely staggering.

I looked at this story and then two more about dogs attacks, all very disturbing.

I agree with the bolded part. The owner of the first dog that was killed has a life sentence of remembering the trauma and now the owners of the other dogs have their traumas to deal with. I know if my dog killed another dog that would be it. It would be pts.

I have to walk past a house at the bottom of my street which has a barking German Shepherd who's front feet hang over the top of the fence while he's barking. I don't look at him and just keep moving but Im just waiting for the day he decides to go over the top. I'd love to complain but who to? Nothing has actually happened yet so it seems a little petty.

We had this situation near us with a large male Ridgeback who hangs over a fence where we are forced to pass very closely to enter a park. Fortunately, the dog is people friendly, as he could easily bite us as we pass between his fence and a barrier. Don't know what he would do to our dog though. One day, we saw the owner entering her driveway and my partner went over to have a word. He phrased it as concern for her dog's safety: "I would hate to see your lovely dog out on the road". Her initial hostile reaction softened with this, and she has now leant a door (!) there to block her dog.

What I find scary is that I saw on a facebook page recently a poster trying to justify dog attacks on SWFs as what dogs do naturally and there is nothing that can or should be done about it. It sounded to me as if it was suggesting that it's much the same as a cat catching a bird or a mouse. If I see a loose dog coming towards me I don't wait around to find out if it is friendly. I'm outta there as fast as I can.

What I find scary is that I saw on a facebook page recently a poster trying to justify dog attacks on SWFs as what dogs do naturally and there is nothing that can or should be done about it. It sounded to me as if it was suggesting that it's much the same as a cat catching a bird or a mouse. If I see a loose dog coming towards me I don't wait around to find out if it is friendly. I'm outta there as fast as I can.

I hate the whole "it's natural" argument. Hypocritical. Does the owner feed the dog commercial dog food instead of whole rabbits? Take it in the car? Does the owner use reading glasses/ computer/ pain killers?

None of these things are natural, yet we are happy to use them. The "natural" argument is used very selectively. There are lots of bad things in nature which we do well to avoid. "Natural" does not mean right.

And by the way, there is nothing natural about a cat catching a bird in Australia. Our birds have not evolved to avoid a feline predator.

Rant over. :bolt: