How Do You Help An Old Dog That's Going Deaf?

Not only does my old girl have IBD and arthritis but she is gradually going deaf.

It depends on where she is, as to how much she can hear. eg. outside I have to be 1 or 2 metres of her before she can hear me call. Inside where it's quieter maybe 3-4 metres.

I think she can hear high pitched sounds better than low. It's obviously not worrying her and I had her checked out at the vet a few months ago and it's just because she is old... nothing that can be helped.

Is there anyone out there that has been through this before that might be able to give me any helpful advice on coping?

Dogs are lucky in that when things like this happen they learn to cope very quickly.

I wake my old dogs by gentling touching them or by treading heavily near their beds. If they don't hear me when outside, I gently touch them or brush their sides lightly and give the command verbally with a hand signal. Tonight my Cav tried to come in with an uneaten chicken neck so when she looked up I pointed outside and she turned and went straight out, I didn't have to make sound. Although with her I think it is selective deafness!

I stamp a lot.

Much as I hate flexi leads, Big Ted was kept on one in the end when the rest were off lead.

He was pretty blind too and would just set off in a particular direction at the trot oblivious to my calls.

Amazingly my pretty deaf poodle can hear the microwave ping though. :D

Edited by Haredown Whippets

When my old Belgian became deaf she still liked to be outside of an evening, so we worked out a system where I would turn the porch light on and off as a signal to come in for the night. Saved going out to find her in the garden. If she was with me, I made sure I was in front of her or stamped to get her attention before asking her to do anything, she still understood from body language and hand signals. So if she didn't want to do something I asked she turned her back to me deliberately 'can't hear you so I don't have to'. Dear old soul.

Daisy has been deaf for over a year now, we cope ok with hand signals and stomping on the floor to get her attention. I find the gentlest way to wake her up (if I need to) is blow on her head so she doesn't get startled.

when Daisy could hear I am thankful that the obedience trainer taught us to do hand as well as voice commands

Scottie has gone deaf - we just realised recently.

There are a few good posts here (on the board) but we're also using a torch to bring him in at night - seems to be working well enough. I flick it twice - He comes to the flash.

Thanks for all your replies.

Currently I don't have any trouble getting her to come inside as she never goes walkabout for long.

She waits at the back door and stares. If she could stomp her foot I am sure she would.

After your suggestion I have started tapping her on the shoulder to get her attention.

She seems to appreciate that and doesn't get a fright.

I will have to start combining that with a hand signal.

Pretty sure you're right about the higher pitch being more audible .. Sometimes clapping hands can help too. Strangely enough my old girl can sometimes hear me if I call "Deaf Dog" .. probably slightly more volume, and hard consonants. :laugh: .

Lulu has been going deaf for about a year now, really noticed it after she had a haematoma on her ear, it's been not too bad actually because she can't hear storms as easily so doesn't get as stressed which is something but it's not nice to realise how old she's getting :( I usually use hand signals with her anyway but I've made them more exaggerated so it's easier as her eyesight is starting to go as well, she seems to be going fine at the moment so hopefully she will keep on for a bit (lot) longer.

My question is OT but its something I've wondered about: do deaf dogs bark the way they did before deafness?

I'm guessing yes, but curious whether this is so smile.gif

Can't say for sure but I've had two go deaf and have not noticed a change in the tone of their barks. Not that I'd probably notice a subtle difference.

Daisy gets her after-dinner bone in the walk-in pantry (it's a 1m x 2m room) If she is given her bone somewhere else where she perceives the other two may nick it she is anxious so she has her own private-time for bone eating.

After she has finished whines to be let out but if I am tardy she barks a demanding bark (Westies are past masters at the demanding bark) to be let out.

I reckon she can hear the bark in her head...no ears needed.

What a wonderful lot of responses. I am so glad to learn I am not the only one who does a lot of stamping, clapping and speaking in a loud high pitched voice :D :D

Unfortunately, my old old man, Danny, has gone blind as well so it is difficult for him. He can no longer go downstairs unaided, but wanders around the backyard and comes back up the ramp when he is ready.

My question is OT but its something I've wondered about: do deaf dogs bark the way they did before deafness?

I'm guessing yes, but curious whether this is so smile.gif

Danny's bark has become very raspy, but that may be because of his age?? As Boronia has experienced :) :) when he needs me, the bark is VERY demanding and, because he has continence issues, when I hear that bark, I run. :laugh:

Lulu doesn't seem to bark as much, her barking was more an alert bark so probably because she doesn't hear as much now she thinks there's nothing to bark at. But when she whines to go out I've noticed that has gotten louder, maybe she thinks if she can't hear I can't either lol :)