Breeder Policies On Puppy Deposits, Partial Payments, Etc

HELLBOY

Just wondering what breeders policies are when it come to deposits, payments, etc from puppy purchasers if for some valid reason, ie serious illness, hospitalisation etc of the buyer where to occur what would be the fair thing to do by the breeder if for above mentioned reasons the buyer was no longer able to take the puppy in an unforeseen circumstance? Would the monies paid be transferable to a later purchase, partial or full refund?

All info welcome, I'm just curious because I've never seen this discussed and it seems a lot of breeders that have websites and even those that don't do not seem to really inform to much on procedures regarding this.

All in all I'm trying to look at this from the prospective that for some reason the BUYER can no longer take the pup.

Edited by HELLBOY

Breeders policies are all over the place! It's an individual decision that may be constrained by government or club regulations. Even where regulations are in place, some breeders don't conform, and you may have to go to litigation to get compensation. Many breeders are very generous and will bend over backwards to make things right. Some are pretty mercenary, and not flexible about returns, refunds, etc.. Unforseen circumstances is a big category . . . but, say, the breeder dies or gets ill and stops breeding. It's gonna be hard to transfer monies to a later purchase, and refund is likely to be a real headache.

The best advice is ask before you buy, and get it in writing.

Edited by sandgrubber

In over forty years of breeding I have never asked for a deposit, because for the reasons you mentioned anything can happen to change a person's situation, as I see it there would always be someone that I approve of who will step in when puppies are available.

This taking deposits is something that has come about in the past ten years. :confused:

It's like asking how long is a piece of string. Way to many variables to give a concise answer. Your unforeseeable change of circumstances may not fit with someone else's definition. Best to have this all agreed to in writing. Personally I don't take deposits. Full payment on pickup day.

Ok let's simplify the question here to cut back on the variables to a questions that seems unanswerable lol

A buyer puts forward $2000 for a pup and then due to medical circumstances, that were unforeseen at the time the money was paid, the buyer is no longer in a position to take the pup due to no longer being fit at that point in time to provide a good home and care for the pup due to those unforeseen medical reasons what would be the right, fair thing for the breeder to do regarding that money that was put forward.

I've heard mention of whatever is agreed on but I've found that more often than not a lot of breeders are interested in gathering as much information regarding a potential buyer and getting a "holding" deposit but are not as forthcoming when it comes to informing there buyers about all aspects of their potential purchase. A lot of so called "ethical" breeders don't even offer up a contract of sale and seem to only hold true to verbal "contracts" after the fact so they can make the rules up as they go which seem to only benefit themselves.

I'm sure some may try to over intellectualise this and try to ad the variables debate but I believe it's a valid straightforward question broken down like this and although every breeder has their own "contractual" agreements, responsibley, and ethically what would be the RIGHT thing to do in an instance as mentioned above.

Thanks guys.

It still comes down to the agreement. If The deposit is non refundable you should be getting that in writing before you place the deposit and a list of things which would see you get a refund regardless. Eg no puppies, the breeder not being able to provide the pup in a certain period of time etc

If its non refundable then regardless of what happens to change that form the buyers end unless its spelled out in the contract then its non refundable no matter what sad story is to be told ,If the breeder is going to hold the deposit for a future litter and carry it over this also needs to be in writing before the deposit is paid - anything else means a fight and probably would see the deposit returned .

But its still up to the breeder and its still about what the agreement is

The right thing to do is not always the same as the legal thing to do :)

If it was me as the breeder and you were sick I would return your deposit. I may keep a small amount if I needed to re-advertise or something if you had pulled out at the last minute.

I had someone pull out of a puppy sale for a really dumb reason (she didn't like the puppy's markings despite seeing her a couple of times) I would NOT have returned her deposit but I hadn't taken one.

Just wondering what breeders policies are when it come to deposits, payments, etc from puppy purchasers if for some valid reason, ie serious illness, hospitalisation etc of the buyer where to occur what would be the fair thing to do by the breeder if for above mentioned reasons the buyer was no longer able to take the puppy in an unforeseen circumstance? Would the monies paid be transferable to a later purchase, partial or full refund?

All info welcome, I'm just curious because I've never seen this discussed and it seems a lot of breeders that have websites and even those that don't do not seem to really inform to much on procedures regarding this.

All in all I'm trying to look at this from the prospective that for some reason the BUYER can no longer take the pup.

What kind of a breeder are we talking about? An ANKC registered one?

$2,000 as a deposit is hefty - more than you'd pay in full for a pup of my breed. As a non-refundable deposit, I think its exhorbitant.

There is no "standard contract of sale" between ANKC breeders and puppy buyers. Most of the breeders I know personally don't TAKE deposits because they won't guarantee a pup before 8 weeks. All the breeders I know would rather refund a deposit than see someone take a pup because they felt they had to.

Makes me wonder about the calibre of breeder you are dealing with. Again, I think Fair Trading would be the fastest method of resolving this.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Jeebus $2000 for a deposit, must be gold plated.

Doesn't matter what the right thing to do might be as everyone will have a different right thing to do. Most here would return the deposit, maybe witholding something to pay for any extra vaccinations and advertising etc.

But if a breeder can ask for and get a $2000 deposit then I would think the pups are selling like hot cakes and would have no trouble getting a new buyer.

It does also depend on the contract. I don't do contracts as such but there is documentation via emails that are exchanged where I outline my terms and conditions and the buyer agrees with them. My full sale price doesn't come close to $2000 and if that was just the deposit I would have made sure lots of i's were dotted and t's crossed and I did have a contract covering my butt and my money

In over forty years of breeding I have never asked for a deposit, because for the reasons you mentioned anything can happen to change a person's situation, as I see it there would always be someone that I approve of who will step in when puppies are available.

This taking deposits is something that has come about in the past ten years. :confused:

I disagree with this. (bold)

I bred for over thirty years from the mid 1970's and pretty much all breeders I knew took deposits over that time.

In my case I only took a deposit after the litter was born and I knew what was available. This was usually between $100 and $250 and the cost of the pups during that time ranged from $100 in 1975 to $1200 in 2005.

If for any reason someone paid the deposit and could not go through with the purchase of the pup the deposit was returned. Personally the reason was unimportant, simply that the purchaser no longer wanted the pup was enough reason for me to not sell to them.

The only thing I did in relation to the deposit was refund only part of it IF I had passed up a sale and because of the cancellation had to spend money on advertising or keep.

Well as I do not breed many litters I have never asked for a deposit, I have been breeding since 1970 and had no problems placing puppies with having to resort to advertising, this is for Pembroke Corgis and the breed I have today , I have not heard of people that I know personally with my breed and others, NEVER take deposits, my puppy buyers pay in full on the day of collection, so if people have been taking deposits since when you have said it is news to me, even with my imports I never had to pay a deposit and any others that I have bought here I have not had to pay until the day the puppy has been picked up, or for the imports the day that all their vet checks have been done and cleared that is when I pay that vet bill and two weeks before departure from the country of export I pay in full the cost of the dog and their airfares. So sorry I have not had the experience of paying a deposit.

It really varies depending on the breeder. I paid no deposit on my Boxer pup, and the breeder had a long waiting list of people wanting pups. I have no doubt that if for some reason I couldn't take a pup there were plenty of people on the waiting list ready to take him. Also, the breeder was still deciding on which pups were potential show quality at the 4 week mark when we first saw them, so there was no guarantee that we would get a pup from the current litter. So perhaps the demand for the breed comes into it too?

I paid a deposit for my puppy. It was about 20% of his sale price. I transferred the balance a week before I picked him up (my choice, breeder seemed surprised but I wanted the funds to be cleared when I picked him up).

Refunding deposits. As a purchaser I try to be fair. If me pulling out of a sale means the seller lost the opportunity to sell, then I'd be happy for them to be compensated to an extent. If the seller has a waiting list then refund in full would be fair IMO as they haven't lost a sale. Once puppies get slightly older (a few months) they are harder to sell.

My reasonable compensation is around $500. Significant enough to discourage silly reasons not to purchase and compensate the seller for the time they've spent dealing with the purchaser and inconvenience of now needing to resell.

If for any reason someone paid the deposit and could not go through with the purchase of the pup the deposit was returned. Personally the reason was unimportant, simply that the purchaser no longer wanted the pup was enough reason for me to not sell to them.

THIS

I would and have taken deposits (after 6 weeks - if I have decided that a puppy is definitely available etc) so that you dont end up holding a puppy until 10+ wks, turning away other interested and good homes, only to find out they were not as genuine as they seemed (yes, you try to vet a home as best you can, but I feel a deposit after this stage is a good show that they are intending to go through with it etc). BUT - if for any reason the person decided they didnt want the pup, or were no longer able to take it due to a change in circumstances... then I certainly dont want them to feel obliged to go through with the sale because they have already put money towards it!! I just want the puppy to be in a home where it is genuinely wanted and cherished. So perhaps the deposit is pointless? But I feel it at least says they are at least at that stage fully intending on getting the puppy...

I'm no longer breeding, but when I was doing so (in WA) I did take deposits (around 10% of puppy price). Before I started requiring deposits I had a couple incidents where supposed puppy buyers simply not showing when the pups were ready and not returning phone calls . . . and in so doing, caused people further down the waiting list to look elsewhere and left me to run back through wait lists to another home for the pup. Without deposits, there are people who will get on the wait list with multiple breeders, and then back down from all but one. I always told buyers that I would gladly refund the deposit if they were responsible about keeping me up to date on what was going on, but if they mucked me around by simply changing their mind at the last minute, they lost their deposit.

I ended out refunding deposits for various reasons including marriage break up, lost job, illness, and a murder in the family.

My mum breeds Birman cats. (Registered with COAWA)

With her most recent litter she had someone who appeared very interested in a kitten and said they would transfer the deposit (I think it was $100) on a certain date. Two weeks after said date (it was during harvest/lead-up to Christmas so mum was too busy to chase them up before then) mum messaged them asking if they were still interested and they had some problem with the kitten (all of a sudden they weren't happy with it being desexed prior to going home with them despite it being law). So that was 2 weeks of mum thinking she had a home for a kitten and having to re-advertise.

Due to that, mum now requires a non-refundable deposit to discourage impulse purchases and time-wasters. But I'm sure if it's a legitimate reason such as above most reasonable breeders would refund it even though it's not required by law AFAIK. It probably depends on how many times a breeder has been burnt as to how willing they are to refund.