Prime Sk-D200™ Crocodile And Tapioca

Hi just wandering if the prime Sk-D200™ Crocodile and Tapioca is a great food for a dog to eat as his diet. Is it completely balanced for a dog? My vet believes my Chihuahua Rascal may have IBS or IBD or both, Before testing she has put him on steroids and a single protein diet, A protein he hasn't had. As he was feed big dog barf patties beef,turkey,lamb,combo did try kangaroo but he wouldn't eat it. So I saw the prime 100 Sk-D200™ Crocodile and Tapioca and decided to feed that. Rascal loves his crocodile and licks his bowl clean then looking for more. Rascal also has weight problems which vet thinks could be cause of too much proteins in his food. I really want to know what everyone thinks of this food? is it good for overweigh dogs? dogs prone to ear infections?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When it comes to feeding overweight dogs, what matters most is giving them the right amount of food to get to a healthy weight. You could have something with less protein, but if you feed too much your Chi will still be overweight.

As for Prime 100, the website states that it meets the requirements for a balanced diet (see the right hand side column: http://prime100.com.au/Pages/Our_Range/Single_Protein_Diet___SPD___-_Vet_Recommended/Sk-D200__Crocodile_and_Tapioca.aspx

BTW you might have to feed less than the amount suggested on the pack depending on your dog's energy requirements. It can be a good place to start though. :)

Thanks I might have to cut him back a bit more then what I am giving at the moment his getting 50grams morning and night. His exercise isn't much due to arthritis in his back leg. But I do get him walking around the yard which is 3/4 acre block.

Yeah, looking at the website, 100g a day is an awful lot of food for your little buddy, especially if he is receiving any treats on top of that. Some tough love might be needed with your family and education about how the excess weight is hurting him, especially with his arthritis. They are killing him with "kindness." :(

Provided that your dog doesn't have a grass allergy, he might enjoy Sprinkles. It will make his meal last longer and burn some additional energy (sniffing apparently burns a considerable amount of energy for a dog, who knew?!). It may also help hide the amount of food you're giving him from those family members. Other options are kongs and slow feeder bowls like this one or mats like this. My Chi x eats out of the mini purple flower slo-bowl. Be aware that this sort of bowl is ineffective for the littlies. Smaller meals are more satisfying when you have to work for them, instead of woofing them down. :)

If your family members don't agree with the amount of food being given, be very careful that they are not sneaking him foods that are not permitted in his diet. Some people here have seen that happen with family members who don't realise that "just a little bit" WILL hurt.

Edited by Papillon Kisses

50gm morning and 50gm night? So 100gm a day?

Yes might have to cut him back to 80grams a day. In saying that I will have family complaining that his not getting enough.

How much does your dog weigh? Over 4kg?

I have a dog that has IBD and she LOVED the Prime Crocodile HOWEVER after a short time it brought on an IBD episode.

This was because it has crushed bone in it and bone = fat which my girl can't have.

I was very sorry that it didn't suit but the rep told me that they have to put the crushed bone in it...otherwise it is not classed as a 'complete' food.

He gets no treats but does have a very bad habit of eating dog poo. His a fat Chihuahua weighing in at 5.9kgs, He was even chubby as a puppy. When he was younger he was going for 1-2 hour walks and still wouldn't lose weight. Vet believes he may have diabetes aswell but due to his age said to let it be. Please don't judge me I am doing everything I can I make him walk around the yard, Just need to cut back on his food intake. So far Rascal is loving the new diet and his steroids seem to be helping. I don't feed kibble here as my male golden Axel can't handle kibble even grain free.

Guest crazydoglady99

Steriods would be making him bulk up and be extra hungry too - I would think?

I'm curious the price of the prime crocodile - when I go to the website & put in my area the prime rolls don't appear in the list of items in the 'shop'.

I have a dog that has IBD and she LOVED the Prime Crocodile HOWEVER after a short time it brought on an IBD episode.

This was because it has crushed bone in it and bone = fat which my girl can't have.

I was very sorry that it didn't suit but the rep told me that they have to put the crushed bone in it...otherwise it is not classed as a 'complete' food.

I noticed that there can be some fat attached to bones (or chicken frames), but a clean bone shouldn't have any fat?

Eta:...ah, the marrow...but does it has the same kind of fat?

Edited by Willem

I've been looking at introducing this to my Aussie's diet... He's 30kg but I want to get him down to 27kg.... Seems to be a common theme that people don't need to feed as much as recommended... I sure hope this rings true for my boy, that would be awesome!

One of my dogs has IBD and I have been feeding him Prime 100 Croc and it has been the best thing ever for him! I worried about the crushed bone too as any sort of raw bone (including ground chicken carcass) was a big trigger for him but he has been fine.

It is most definitely complete as balanced (as stated on their website).

My dog is 25 kilos so gets 500grams per day (yep! bloody expensive :eek: )but he is a 3 year old intact male who needed to gain some weight. No dry food fed at all.

Your little dog would most likely need less than the feeding guide. You would at least start with feeding him for the weight he should be, not the weight he is :)

well Rascal my Chihuahua is getting about 80grams of the prime 100 crocodile and his acting like his starving to death,His going around picking up dirt etc and eating it. I was feeding it to my 2 goldens and the same thing shelley my female got that hungry she ate the outside of a baseball thankfully its passing through her poo. So my goldens have been put back on big dog barf patties,same with my whippet. My Chihuahua Rascal is still on the crocodile as the vets want him on a protein he hasn't had before for 6 weeks.

You really never listen to advice that you get here and then come back down the track complaining about your overweight dogs.

80gm is still too much. You have an experienced raw feeder in this thread saying their 15kg dog gets 80gm.

If your dog is eating poo then simply clean your yard!! If you have poo eaters then onus is on you to ensure they are not getting access to it.

I feel for your Chi - sounds significantly overweight and has bad arthritis. You as an owner are making that issue worse and causing your dog pain by not managing your dog's weight and getting it lean.