Invitation To Participate In Research

raineth

Invitation to participate in research 2.docx

Hi everyone, I'd like to invite you all to participate in my psychology research project that examines people's responses to undesirable dog behaviour.

The study does take 20-30 minutes to complete, so I suggest getting yourself a cuppa and a bickie before you begin :)

Who can participate?

Anyone who is 18 years or older. You do not have to be a dog owner to participate.

What will participation involve?

Participation involves completing a survey that will take 20-30 minutes.

What do I need to know?

Participation is voluntary and anonymous. At the end of the survey you may go in a draw to win a gift card.

If you are interested in taking part in this study, please click on the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/baddog_public

I am happy to take your feedback on the questionnaire, or answer any questions via the email address provided. Or even PM here. Alternatively, I humbly suggest that if you want to complete the survey that you do so before reading any comments in this thread. This is just simply because reading other people's thoughts on the study can bias responses :)

Also I am more than happy for the link to the study to be passed around via email or social media to any individuals or groups that you think might be interested in participating.

Thanks, and happy participating!

Okay, I completed it but it seriously is about humans, not humans and dogs. It could have been for children, the infirm, or a number of other objectives.

I found it difficult in places as use of language (grossed out etc) is not a proper response to me of a clinical project.

Punishment featured heavily. I don't punish. It is an uneducated human response to punish an animal (or child) for losing control of bodily functions if not given good alternatives, not train, not socialize and a number of other possibilities posted as questions.

There should have been options other than those posted, if you truly wanted an understanding of how humans respond to the stress that a pet can sometimes bring.

I had no issue with questions about intentions of the wind etc as those are stock standard psych questions.

Interesting but uncomfortable to think about the reality that many people do hurt/frighten/damage their dog (child/elderly person) for things titled as behavior that are in fact avoidable if the person in question had done the right thing in the first place.

Sorry if this offends. That is not the intention.

Sags

:)

I've just started the dog behaviour questions and the issue I have is that I can't answer as there's not enough context.

Punishing for ignoring recall - depends on context. If I've got an e-collar on a dog that knows what the command means and has had heavy repetition of it in the past, and I'm using it at a low stimulus - yes I would absolutely (assuming legal use in a state that permits it).

No e-collar and the dog is far away from me? Nope, because there's no way to effectively punish, and I'm certainly not punishing when the dog comes back to me as that's just going to get the opposite of what I want.

I have to say I closed it at that point, because if don't have enough context to answer the question fairly, especially when this is a study clearly looking in to punishment in training, I worry my answers will be used not in the way they were intended.

Edited by melzawelza

one question: where is the statistics saying that approx. 100,000 Australians are attacked by dogs every year?....I found some figures for NSW from 2011/2012 stating approx. 7,400 dog attacks with less than 3,400 human victims - while NSW might not be representative for all Australia, and while there might be an increase in dog attacks over the last years it is very hard to believe without further evidence that the quote '100,000' is the correct figure.

I couldn't get past the silly questions. I assume they have some kind of purpose but they stopped me from going any further. Sorry. I'm usually happy to participate but that style of question just really stopped me.

post-53779-0-49585000-1464671496_thumb.jpg

And they also defined punishment as mamy things including 'verbal correction'. If I catch my dog peeing on the carpet I will yell OI and put them outside. But I don't 'punish' them.

^^ this

There are consequences if my dogs behave badly. e.g. if they wouldn't stop jumping up at visitors they would either go outside or in a crate. But is this punishment?

And they also defined punishment as mamy things including 'verbal correction'. If I catch my dog peeing on the carpet I will yell OI and put them outside. But I don't 'punish' them.

^^ this

There are consequences if my dogs behave badly. e.g. if they wouldn't stop jumping up at visitors they would either go outside or in a crate. But is this punishment?

yes me too, too little depth to the questions for valid interpretation I would think?

But then I suppose it depends on what their looking for

Edited by asal

^^ this

If it reduces the frequency/duration/intensity of the behaviour, then yes! :) If it isn't affecting future behaviour, then it's not a meaningful consequence to the dog, is it?