Dogs And Rain... And Mud!

I've recently moved somewhere where it rains constantly (yay!) and my young Lab and cats came too. I've never had to deal with so much rain and mud before - even a quick toilet trip results in mud splattered up to her belly and chest. I used to have a yellow Lab but she's quickly turning into a chocolate! I'm just looking for rainy day ideas from people that are more experienced than me! Anything from great raincoats to ways to reduce the amount of mud on the dog/carpet/me... All advice welcome!

I'm dealing with that too - Just moved to NZ and I don't think I'll cope with winter. Plus my silly old man has decided to play and dig holes out there too - so unless I 100% supervise him he gets really muddy.

I'm sure others will have other hints but we're;

Keeping a bathmat down in the back door area - I bought 2 and swap them out as needed. It was about weekly but at the moment its about 12 hourly. I need to buy a few more. I got two of the big "chunky" ones - with a non-slip backing. They're good for catching him as he trots in.

Quick mop of the floor with a dog towel every time I find paw prints

I'm keeping a microfibre cleaning cloth (no chemicals on it) and wiping him down when ever I catch him with some mud - the microfibre cloths dry faster than face washers

Towels or fast drying covers on everything - usually two thick - so if I need to dry him off I have one I can scoop him up in.

Rugged up for any trips outside

And after pay day I will be grabbing some plastic netting to keep him off the areas he's turned into mad patches

Vacuuming - daily :(

AND I'm actually considering buying an area rug for my really high traffic area.

Edited by Scottsmum

Yep, NZ is where I am too - the rain is crazy! Thanks for the suggestions, I tried the bath mat too but it's not quite cutting it! I think I need 3 or 4! Will definitely get some microfibre cloths though - easier to clean and dry than towels.

I was wondering if there are any kind of high boots that come up the dog's legs and keep them more mud free, just for quick toilet trips?

Anyone got raincoat suggestions?

That mud mat from Big W looks interesting, not sure if I could get it here.

Yep, NZ is where I am too - the rain is crazy! Thanks for the suggestions, I tried the bath mat too but it's not quite cutting it! I think I need 3 or 4! Will definitely get some microfibre cloths though - easier to clean and dry than towels.

I was wondering if there are any kind of high boots that come up the dog's legs and keep them more mud free, just for quick toilet trips?

LOL - where are you based?

You can get most things at the warehouse. Kmart is identical too

Don't know it would be worth putting on just for a wiz.

Could you just take the dog out on a lead and toilet on command?

...what's bad weather? ...I'm only aware of unsuitable clothing...and regarding the dog: there's not much a garden hose and rag couldn't fix :) ...another positive side effect is that the hot cappuccino after a rainy dog walk tastes much better :D

Hurtta Raincoats are fantastic.

Non insulated if you don't need warmth. My coated dog doesn't get overheated in them at all but keeps him nice and dry when we go for rainy walks. Goes over the chest so keeps chest and belly dry and over the hips, with nice leg loops.

If you need warmth, they do make insulated versions to.

The newer versions of all the hurtta stuff (although much more pricey) all have slots so you can have harnesses under.

If you want to go full coverage hurtta also make slush combat suits! Aka waterproof onsies ????

Edited by LisaCC

Awesome, thanks guys!

I'm in Palmerston North, for work. Where are you, Scottsmum?

Nothing wrong with a garden hose and a rag - problem is that I work long hours so it's often dark and cold and raining when I take her for a walk etc.

I do toilet her just out the door, she's very good and goes on command but the ground is so slushy and muddy, even where the lawn is.

I think I'll just have to get used to the constant floor cleaning. And buy a better mop lol.

Awesome, thanks guys!

I'm in Palmerston North, for work. Where are you, Scottsmum?

Nothing wrong with a garden hose and a rag - problem is that I work long hours so it's often dark and cold and raining when I take her for a walk etc.

I do toilet her just out the door, she's very good and goes on command but the ground is so slushy and muddy, even where the lawn is.

I think I'll just have to get used to the constant floor cleaning. And buy a better mop lol.

I'm in palmy too! It's utterly miserable here at the moment.

Lets meet up for a coffee one day. Will PM you.

...what's bad weather? ...I'm only aware of unsuitable clothing...and regarding the dog: there's not much a garden hose and rag couldn't fix :) ...another positive side effect is that the hot cappuccino after a rainy dog walk tastes much better :D

LOL Willem - we've had over an inch of rain every day for the last week. And its bitterly cold and comes from no where - one minute its fine/sunny the next minute its bucketing down. Nothing is drying - everything is slushy -and between you and me and the thread - the coffee isn't that great in this town LOL.

Agreed! This is what I got the last time I washed someone's muddy paws in nice warm water when it was cold, wet and dark outside. I'm not going to subject this little mite to a cold hose unless he's overheated! :eek:

image_zpspfqq04y0.jpeg

LOL Willem - we've had over an inch of rain every day for the last week. And its bitterly cold and comes from no where - one minute its fine/sunny the next minute its bucketing down. Nothing is drying - everything is slushy -and between you and me and the thread - the coffee isn't that great in this town LOL.

...one of the cheapest ways to make a good coffee or espresso are with these stovetop coffee makers http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Cup-Espresso-Coffee-Maker-Italian-Style/191345332224?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140117125611%26meid%3D5299b13865c64ba7b2f1a2933e385d10%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D161595682675...

...but even a Nespresso tastes much better (as long as it is hot) after a walk that makes you feel the cold and wet straight through the bones :) ....or a hot chocolate, or a good tea...

I have a corgi puppy that is a real bog snorkeler. Every time it rains the drains fill up he runs up and down the drain l don't think l have ever had a dog that is such a grub.

...one of the cheapest ways to make a good coffee or espresso are with these stovetop coffee makers http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-Cup-Espresso-Coffee-Maker-Italian-Style/191345332224?_trksid=p2047675.c100009.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140117125611%26meid%3D5299b13865c64ba7b2f1a2933e385d10%26pid%3D100009%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D161595682675...

...but even a Nespresso tastes much better (as long as it is hot) after a walk that makes you feel the cold and wet straight through the bones :) ....or a hot chocolate, or a good tea...

So I make a coffee for the wet dog every time he comes in from a wee? Seems excessive. He'd be buzzing. ;)