Training Tips For A 7 Month Old Boxer

I have the queen of puppy exuberance here - I just learn to channel the crazy :laugh:

With regards to him looking back to the distraction I would do two things....firstly you can ask him to look more than once at the distraction before rewarding OR look longer at you before bring rewarded. The second thing is to move straight into some sort of fun game....all HIGHLY rewarding....heeling, tricks, change position, nose touches etc.then release to go sniff or whatever he likes to do. Building lots of fun rewarding games with you. As for the long line they are great for security but if pup is running hard and you step on it - ow for the pup. So try not to get into a situation where pup is running flat out. Make a decision to collect pup as soon as he chooses not to recall.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok great, I'll bring his tug toy along next time I think. I'm trying to build up the time he looks at me in the LAM game, even just at home I can only get about four seconds before his eyes flick away to where he thinks the treat might be coming from

Edited by Tor

hey - it seems you have one very honest, willing and attentive pup! the BEST sort of pupil :D

Aw thanks Persephone! He is the love of my life (don't tell my husband) and I know he'd be getting along much faster with someone who knew what they were doing. But we will muddle along with alll this great help from all of you

Oh dear, I need everyone giving me advice to agree :D.

The area is totally enclosed, I'm really lucky. Actually we had a bit of a test this morning. I was out with him very early doing a leash walk and delivering newspapers. We had just got out of the car and we're heading along the footpath when his leash dropped off! I hadn't clipped it properly - it was still dark and I didn't check closely. I'm not sure he realised but I just quickly said 'Sebastian, come!" and he came straight to me. He was only a couple of metres away but I was very relieved he didnt dash off across the road, (it was a very quiet street where we were, but only about 50m from a big busy road).

I had the clicker and treats with me and we did some good LAT practice with people going past and a dog on the other side of the road. He definitely snapped back to me each time I clicked and he didn't get really excited the way he usually would. One thing though, he looks at me, gets his treat and then looks straight back at whatever the distraction is. Should I keep clicking and treating as long as he is calm, or should I get him to walk away at this stage after one repetition?

He still did some lunging at leaves blown garland and a plastic bag, but I think a lot of that is puppy excitement and will wear off a bit as he gets older. Or am I kidding myself?

He is very smart...he has worked out what he is getting the click for...for looking & staying calm. I would keep up the C & T for a bit, then gather him up & walk away, continuing to tell him what a good boy he is. I find eventually they look back ever so quickly & will turn back to you before you even get a chance to click. In this case I would be then clicking him for this.

Today we went to the enclosed off leash park and had it all to ourselves. We did lots of recall and retrieving until we lost the ball somehow, and I tried the fence trick a couple of times, which worked! I also noticed he was more attentive to me in general than he usually is at the park, even when we're alone, at one stage he kept coming back and looking at me while offering sits and other tricks. I took the opportunity to do some off-lead drops, high fives and touches each time he came back until I ran out of treats. I hadn't brought the clicker which was a shame.

He still raced off to greet the bin emptying man, and I didn't try recalling him away as I was pretty sure he wouldn't come back. Luckily the bin guy has met him before and knows there's no threat there, he doesn't jump or anything, just runs around wagging his tail and wanting pats. Not ideal though, I know.

Edited by Tor

Today we went to the enclosed off leash park and had it all to ourselves. We did lots of recall and retrieving until we lost the ball somehow, and I tried the fence trick a couple of times, which worked! I also noticed he was more attentive to me in general than he usually is at the park, even when we're alone, at one stage he kept coming back and looking at me while offering sits and other tricks. I took the opportunity to do some off-lead drops, high fives and touches each time he came back until I ran out of treats. I hadn't brought the clicker which was a shame.

He still raced off to greet the bin emptying man, and I didn't try recalling him away as I was pretty sure he wouldn't come back. Luckily the bin guy has met him before and knows there's no threat there, he doesn't jump or anything, just runs around wagging his tail and wanting pats. Not ideal though, I know.

Sounds like you are going great, & may I add, what a lucky dog, to have you as an owner :thumbsup: Some dogs (mine included) find just being asked to do tricks, spins etc is a reward in itself. You could start to randomly treat when he is offering behaviours. Mixing it up with how many times he must do something before you C & T. It might be one, then three, then one, then two, then four etc. But just remember that EVERYTIME you click that you treat. Make sure you practice the collar grab...make the "collar grab" an exciting experience. One of the most exciting rewards for a dog who does a good recall (or comes back without calling) is to grab the collar (as long as this has been taught), rev them up & tell them to "go play" again or "go sniff" whatever they were doing before they came back to you. :)

What is the 'collar grab' exactly?

Today was training again and it went really well. For the first time ever we managed to do a little bit of loose lead walking to and from our group. He was still pretty excited and distracted, especially when his boxer bff came to say hello, but overall I was delighted.

We did lots of LAT practice which really seems to help him relax. I tried to do a couple of repetitions and then move quickly to something else, either an exercise or some tug. I had the clicker and we did some new things like drop stays and crossing behind. He just seemed more attentive than usual, he was happy to do lots of repetitions without losing focus and I didn't have to work very hard to get his attention. The clicker is definitely making a real difference. I'm not totally confident using it for everything yet - I'm not sure when to click for loose lead walking for example - and sometimes I find it hard to coordinate holding everything and clicking at the right time.

Anyway, just wanted to report! Thank you all so much

Edited by Tor

What is the 'collar grab' exactly?

Today was training again and it went really well. For the first time ever we managed to do a little bit of loose lead walking to and from our group. He was still pretty excited and distracted, especially when his boxer bff came to say hello, but overall I was delighted.

We did lots of LAT practice which really seems to help him relax. I tried to do a couple of repetitions and then move quickly to something else, either an exercise or some tug. I had the clicker and we did some new things like drop stays and crossing behind. He just seemed more attentive than usual, he was happy to do lots of repetitions without losing focus and I didn't have to work very hard to get his attention. The clicker is definitely making a real difference. I'm not totally confident using it for everything yet - I'm not sure when to click for loose lead walking for example - and sometimes I find it hard to coordinate holding everything and clicking at the right time.

Anyway, just wanted to report! Thank you all so much

The collar grab, is basically getting him used to being handled by the collar. Some dogs freak out when you take hold of their collar & are "collar shy" It is very handy to have a dog that lets you hold it's collar. Make it fun to be held by the collar...apart from treats..you can take him by the collar when he comes back to you & then you can let him run off again...make it a game. In agility we use the collar grab for restrained recalls & my girl gets super drivey in training when I hold her by the collar, stir her up & then let her go. Basically it's just getting them used to thinking that being held by the collar is a good thing & it doesn't always mean "end of fun..I'm being put back on the leash now"

Gee I LOVE hearing these training updates! Makes my heart SING :thumbsup:

Yes, start in a quiet environment (eg lounge room) - touch collar then treat then release the collar. Timing is important. As your dog gets used to this game be sure to use different hands and grab the collar at all different angles. I want dogs to just love this game to bits. I can tell you when you've got a wild puppy that sometimes has brain explosions but launches into your outstretched hand OR a 26kg Dalmatian that when you grab by the collar (aggressive dog heading our way) and his entire focus is on YOU and being close instead of pulling away, you'll appreciate the collar grab. Love it for restrained recalls and building drive and focus.

Oh ok, that sounds easy enough. He doesn't have any issues with me holding or grabbing his collar at this stage, even though I've only really used it to restrain him and take him outside when he is hassling the cat. I will work on lots of games so he finds it fun. Luckily he seems quite robust and forgiving, he doesn't seem to build up negative associations very readily so far. Maybe I've just been lucky though

Oh ok, that sounds easy enough. He doesn't have any issues with me holding or grabbing his collar at this stage, even though I've only really used it to restrain him and take him outside when he is hassling the cat. I will work on lots of games so he finds it fun. Luckily he seems quite robust and forgiving, he doesn't seem to build up negative associations very readily so far. Maybe I've just been lucky though

He sounds like a delight! There is something called the opposition reflex which causes dogs to pull away if you put pressure on their collar - this game teaches the dog not to resist (and pull you over) plus grabbing the collar often means putting the leash on and going home so they start to dodge you!