• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if this has been posted yet

https://www.petrescue.com.au/bequests

There's just no end to the money grabbing behaviour now.

Bequests are a great idea. Not everyone has relatives to leave money to and, even if they do, they might want to support a charitable cause. More rescues should do this.

I agree it is a great idea for rescues. Petrescue is NOT a rescue group.

Not sure if this has been posted yet

https://www.petrescue.com.au/bequests

There's just no end to the money grabbing behaviour now.

Bequests are a great idea. Not everyone has relatives to leave money to and, even if they do, they might want to support a charitable cause. More rescues should do this.

Is Pet Rescue a charity? I thought it was a business?

Its a company limited by guarantee and has charity status .

Have to admit the fact they have charity status did surprise me as when we were doing PACERS and applied as a charity we were knocked back as they thought we were not actually physically looking after animals which we were so we won on appeal but hard to see how pet rescue fit the criteria for an animal welfare charity

My link

What I think is the relationship pet rescue and rescues have is a symbiotic relationship.

Each party gets something out of the relationship that helps them.

If a rescue does not want to be involved then they don't have to.

Building a website following is very hard and to reach as many people as pet rescue does is a good reason for rescue to use the free service.

I really do not understand what the issue is.

This is pretty much my take on it. Both parties are benefiting, are they not?

If you arent happy with how PR run, don't work with them?

I have to admit that this is something that ticked me off a bit

Listed in the Wagga Wagga local phone book as if its location at Alfredtown - an outer suburb of Wagga which has a pub and a shop and nothing else

That's a long long call from WA and it would take from local rescue contacts - Its probably just smart but sort of feels odd to me.

My link

Edited by Steve

Listed in the Wagga Wagga local phone book as if its location at Alfredtown - an outer suburb of Wagga which has a pub and a shop and nothing else

That's a long long call from WA and it would take from local rescue contacts - Its probably just smart but sort of feels odd to me.

My link

Do they have an actual office there or something?

My link

Do they have an actual office there or something?

No one has an office there - in fact you would be going to find more than a couple of houses

That listing you linked Steve clearly says 'mobile service in area' down the bottom - which shows that they don't have a physical office there. I can't see why having PetRescue pop up when someone searches pet related stuff in the yellow pages is a bad thing, especially if it encourages just one person to click through and browse available rescue pets across Australia.

Nothing stopping the local rescues getting a yellow pages listing as well so they're also represented as individual organisations rather than just via Pet Rescue.

That listing you linked Steve clearly says 'mobile service in area' down the bottom - which shows that they don't have a physical office there. I can't see why having PetRescue pop up when someone searches pet related stuff in the yellow pages is a bad thing, especially if it encourages just one person to click through and browse available rescue pets across Australia.

Nothing stopping the local rescues getting a yellow pages listing as well so they're also represented as individual organisations rather than just via Pet Rescue.

Ill bite what does mobile service in area mean - might clearly say it but thats as clear as mud to me.where I come form all it means is that you can use your mobile phone in that town.

Edited by Steve

Ill bite what does mobile service in area mean - might clearly say it but thats as clear as mud to me.where I come form all it means is that you can use your mobile phone in that town.

Maybe it's not as universal as I think, but to me that means it is a 'mobile' business I.e it services many areas even though it may not have a shop front right there.

Maybe it's not as universal as I think, but to me that means it is a 'mobile' business I.e it services many areas even though it may not have a shop front right there.

Maybe but Ive never heard of it used that way. Im not kicking them all's fair but I can see why some feel that some of what they do is bending the facts a bit - but seriously Alfred town would be one of the smallest towns in NSW and according to the ASIC register they don't operate in NSW

Maybe but Ive never heard of it used that way. Im not kicking them all's fair but I can see why some feel that some of what they do is bending the facts a bit - but seriously Alfred town would be one of the smallest towns in NSW and according to the ASIC register they don't operate in NSW

Their website lists the animals in rescue held by almost every rescue Australia wide - if Alfred is so tiny I'm glad PetRescue comes up when they search animal stuff. Hopefully they may realise that they have access to a huge array of rescue pets if they hadn't before. If there are any local rescues I'd love to see them getting themselves listed up there as individuals too - the more options for rescue pets that locals see when searching the better.

As an example, Team Dog members are all based in Sydney and most of our work is done here, but we will help anyone throughout greater NSW if we can. What is the harm in me having us listed in a town that may not even know we exist, so that when they search for the type of assistance/service we provide they find us? Why do I have to have a physical office there in order for that to be kosher?

Edited by melzawelza

I think it is because they list themselves as not operating in NSW and then saying they provide a mobile service in Alfredtown which is in NSW. That to me is kinda dodgy.

--Lhok

I think it is because they list themselves as not operating in NSW and then saying they provide a mobile service in Alfredtown which is in NSW. That to me is kinda dodgy.

--Lhok

Yes, that's a point. It's very easy to list your charity as operating or not operating in a state - you just log in to your charity portal and edit it and click save, so I'm not sure why it would be unlisted for NSW considering they clearly do operate in all states. Might be an oversight. Maybe if anyone isn't happy about that, it's worth sending an email to them.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with it but when the top of the page says showing listings for local services only I would expect that most people would think they were supporting someone who was actually located in their local area

Its no big deal but I can see why the angst is out there with private rescue about this and other marketing tricks they use.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with it but when the top of the page says showing listings for local services only I would expect that most people would think they were supporting someone who was actually located in their local area

Its no big deal but I can see why the angst is out there with private rescue about this and other marketing tricks they use.

It isn't a donation request though, it is just a yellow pages listing? They aren't asking for money listing themselves as a local business, they are simply listing their pet search service as available to those in this area - which is a very good thing for rescue pets in my opinion.

Edited by melzawelza

It isn't a donation request though, it is just a yellow pages listing? They aren't asking for money listing themselves as a local business, they are simply listing their pet search service as available to those in this area - which is a very good thing for rescue pets in my opinion.

Yes I get all that but just because in your opinion or my opinion its a very good thing doesnt mean I cant see why there is some spitting going on because for some the ends doesn't justify the means and I understand that and feel they have a right to feel some things feel a bit deceptive.