Frozen Ai On A Maiden Bitch Or Do A Natural Litter First

mini girl

i have a girl I want to breed I have imported semen from USA but thinking it may be best to do a natural mating /litter first time and use the frozen semen on her next litter. I found an old post from 2010 with both ways recommended. Has anyone had success with a maiden bitch using frozen. It will be surgically implanted. Read also to do a back to back using a natural first then do the frozen AI. My girl is a miniature poodle not sure if anyone has had success with a poodles doing the frozen AI. Will be using Phil Thomas in Brisbane.

Quite common in both race and show bred greyhounds to use FS on a maiden bitch. I know of numbers ranging from 2 to 13 using FS on maiden show greyhounds. I don't know why you would need to do a back to back, pregnant is pregnant no matter how it happens.

2 out of 3 of the bitches I have bred to frozen have been maidens.

#1 - 3 years old, 7 pups

#2 - 4 years old, 4 pups

I prefer to put my maidens to frozen and many repros will tell you hat they prefer them too.

Many say doing back to back can give you a better success rate if AI .

Personally we would do natural first before wasting imported semen plus its nice to see what that combo produces ,we would do an AI if we had to on a maiden but prefer not .

I now plenty who have had success & failure

• 3 months later...

I have the same opinion as showdog

First of all you need to know that female is fertile (otherwise frozen semen will be wasted). And you need to know that normal mating and pregnancy is possible. If the bitch can't have puppies in the normal way should be removed from breeding program.

I noticed that in Australia AI with frozen semen is very popular. I understand it is an island and not easy to find good stud dog but... why not travel with a bitch on the plane for mating overseas? especially when it is a small breed.

I'm living in europe and I travel with my bitches in car sometimes even 1-2 days (one way) to do natural mating.

I noticed that in Australia AI with frozen semen is very popular. I understand it is an island and not easy to find good stud dog but... why not travel with a bitch on the plane for mating overseas? especially when it is a small breed.

because they have to travel as cargo, have rabies injections and quarantine when coming home and all the testing timelines actually mean you would be bringing back bitch and 9 month old puppies!

I'm living in europe and I travel with my bitches in car sometimes even 1-2 days (one way) to do natural mating.

Probably the only country that would be viable for would be New Zealand, because it is close and there is no quarantine between the 2 countries. For anywhere else it would be a huge and expensive exercise, much more logistically feasible to bring the semen. People did used to import bitches in whelp before ai was an option and some very keen and very rare show people do take dogs overseas for big shows and could maybe do it. But it costs around $10, 000 to bring a large breed into the country, that is flights, quarantine, vet work and import approvals, and you are talking about a two way trip so even more, plus the stress on a recently mated bitch. Like you we also drive our bitches for days at a time for matings, but for us that is within our country.

For me it would depend a lot on how much of the semen I had and how difficult it would be to repeat the mating.

If it was the last straw of a dog I could never collect again I would want to know the bitch was fertile. If I can easily get the semen again, in a breed like mine which is hard to place, I would go with the maiden rather than breed a litter just to check she was fertile.