Doggy Door Update

westiemum

Hi All,

I'm currently in a wonderful little dog-friendly rental - the westies love the backyard here. But its getting very cold and my old girl Sarah who will be 15 on 6 July, is really feeling it. When it was warmer, they were fine in the backyard for the day with beds and blankets under cover. But Mum popped around last week while I was at work and diplomatically told me I needed another solution as Sarah was getting far too wet and cold.

I'd really like to be able to find a doggy door solution that isn't going to cost a fortune given I'm only here for a few months and this house will be demolished towards the end of the year? The owner will be fine with almost any solution. I don't have any sliding doors - they are all locked solid wood. Any ideas?

Also interested in any 'new' permanent doggy door models for later reference?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.smile.gif

ETA: One idea is to leave the kitchen door open and somehow lock the door between the kitchen and the hall - but not idea how to do this safely and effectively? Any suggestions? TIA.smile.gif

Edited by westiemum

If the place is to be demolished, can you put a dog door into one of the solid ones?

My first thoughts, too. With my first two little dogs, I had a handyman cut out part of my door and put in a swinging flap of hard plastic which I could leave down and it was easy for the dogs to push through, or hook it open.

If you used a commercial one, seeing the house is to be demolished, you simply remove it when you leave to use again in your next place.

Another thought. If your next place is a rental, take the whole door with you. Seriously.

If the place is to be demolished, can you put a dog door into one of the solid ones?

Thanks HW - yes I could - but the problem is all the sawing etc which I can't do and the cost to have someone do it (a couple of hundred $) for a couple of months is probably not worth it.

I've just made an enquiry about the door on Gumtree that Boronia posted - as believe it or not its nearby and it would be easier to replace the whole door rather that try and install a doggy door in an existing thick wooden door. So I've asked for some measurements and will go from there. (Why on earth people put up ads without measurements is beyond me, but anyway...)

Thanks tons...smile.gif

Thanks HW - yes I could - but the problem is all the sawing etc which I can't do and the cost to have someone do it (a couple of hundred $) for a couple of months is probably not worth it.

I've just made an enquiry about the door on Gumtree that Boronia posted - as believe it or not its nearby and it would be easier to replace the whole door rather that try and install a doggy door in an existing thick wooden door. So I've asked for some measurements and will go from there. (Why on earth people put up ads without measurements is beyond me, but anyway...)

Thanks tons...smile.gif

Agree with D3 - if the Gumtree solution doesn't work, take the whole door with you. Then the price of installation may be worth it.

Like I said, I'm bad at this stuff. My door measurements are 202 x 81 x 4cm. The bottom of the striker plate is 111.5 cm from the bottom of the door. (Not a standard size door)

The Brighton door on Gumtree is 199 cm height, 80.4 wide, 4.2 deep. Striker plate 125cm from bottom of door.

Is the Brighton door size close enough or is it overall too small height and width wise?

TIAembarrass.gif

Like I said, I'm bad at this stuff. My door measurements are 202 x 81 x 4cm. The bottom of the striker plate is 111.5 cm from the bottom of the door. (Not a standard size door)

The Brighton door on Gumtree is 199 cm height, 80.4 wide, 4.2 deep. Striker plate 125cm from bottom of door.

Is the Brighton door size close enough or is it overall too small height and width wise?

TIAembarrass.gif

The door is a little small and could probably be added too, but it would be fiddly, so time consuming, so costly.

Thanks Jemappelle - I've also spoken with a friend who knows about these things and he said the same thing - fiddly to get it to fit - especially because of the striker plate and because its short would likely need a weather strip at the bottom. So we're going to keep a look out for a second hand doggy door (or a cheap new one!) and he said he'll fit it for me. So if anyone sees or hears of a westie size one going cheap I'm all ears.

Thanks tons everyone!

We picked up a "westie" size door from Bunnings I think. Not overly expensive from memory either.

ETA. https://www.bunnings...t-door_p3975727

They seem to have a fair range some are even cheaper then the link. The other option might be to consider putting it in a window and boarding up an area - especially if you have a low window next to any of the entrance ways. We replaced the glass which was located next to the door with a dog door.

Edited by ness

this is not a bad price, one left.

would it fit Sarah and Andy?

eBay item number: 112015090081

http://www.ebay.com....F8AAOSwxndXTrUV

eta, would it be worth while buying that wrong-size door, taking out the doggie door and putting it in your door?

you also get a screen door with it

...we have this one in grey / silver ...easy to fit (comes with a template, drill 4 holes at each corner and cut it out with a jig saw - 20 minute job); with the double way flaps they seal very good and don't let any insects or mice in - just a little bit noisy in the night time.

I use a hook and eye on my kitchen doot that leads to the rest of the house. Has been very effective for many years.

Hook and eye? confused.gif

Yes made of metal. I have the eye part (circle) screwed into the door frame. The hook is attached to the door. When door is closed hook goes into the eye. Meaning door can not be opened easily. A determined person could force door open but that would be the case with a lot of locks

Where r u?

I just took off all my doors and one has a med dog door in it. Just going to the tip.

I can retrieve the dog door but it has no flap due to the Kelpie taking it out.

I can tell you that fitting a door is not easy and can cost 50 to 100 dollars. My handyman put in my new door and didn't really charge me for the doggy door insert.

Because the old door removed was so old and its my house I put dog door in myself.

Used my drill and hole piece to do 4 corners but then you need a good jigsaw to cut to each of the holes. When the square piece falls out the dog door is split so that it slots into the door, a piece on each side. Then I just drilled on screws thru holes in the dog door frame and that's it.

Did u have tools or any male friend who has tools? I brought cheap bunnings brand but the screen door work did wreck that jigsaw.

You could take my whole door but too much hassle to refit.

If u r going soon any dog door u buy is removable if u don't use sealent to weatherproof it.

I simply have a hole in the screen which I put rubber round the rough jigsaw edge and that was it.

Just been thru all this and am now going to put second toy dog door in wall next to door as only option I could see as I have three different size dogs. The larger needing door 25cm from floor and the chi only 10cm high. All using one door now with step for chi but I understand we all want our dogs to b comfy coming and going!

Why I don't have same size I don't know!

Edited by skip