Spindle Cell Tumor

My Staffy girl who is 10 was diagnosed with Spindle cell sarcoma. She had a lump on lower leg which quickly doubled in size.

Fine needle aspiration sent to lab showed "MESENCHYMAL PROLIFERATION WITH MILD INFLAMMATION FAVORING SPINDLE CELL SARCOMA"

Surgery won't get clear margins due to the size and position of the lump, so radiotherapy would be needed as well, which is 4-5K plus, which there is no way I can afford that, as well as no guarantee the lump won't grow back or pop up somewhere else.

My vet is happy to do a wait and see scenario, so I'm going to try the holistic approach, supplements, diet change, and obviously pain meds.

Has anyone tried Robert McDowell cancer supplements? I'm still researching what it all entails, there's so much info out there, but a fresh meat diet, no grains and hopefully the right supplement might increase her quality of the time left and she should have a good 6 months before things take a turn for the worse.

Unfortunately my older dog is 16 and quite poorly (old age, wobbly on legs, dementia, bit of incontinence, weight loss, can't get up from laying down without help etc) so it looks like I'll be losing both of them in a very short space of time. crying.gif

f*** cancer.

Hi Cazablanca,

So sorry to hear your girl is going through this, and that your older dog is poorly as well. :(

I haven't had a dog with cancer, but I've seen this website mentioned a number of times on DOL. http://www.dogcancer.net.au

DOLers report that the owners are lovely people and welcome any enquiries, so it might be worthwhile giving them a call?

All the best.

Sorry to hear this Caz. If you want to go the holistic route then your best bet is to see a holistic vet. Getting different homeopathic/ holistic concoctions can be a bit hit and miss and very expensive so a holistic vet visit would be my first port of call.

Maritime Pine Bark Extract.

You may be able to source it at a local naturopath/herbalist business. I find McDowell's a little dear for the amount you get.

It's not one of their combination mixtures, it's a single ingredient with a long history and I've always got some in the cupboard, even for something as small as Kennel Cough.

I'm so sorry about your girl. :(:heart:

Thanks everyone, I'm waiting to hear back from the vet today and I'll have a chat about supplements and any other meds required.

I've read up on the Pine Bark Extract, it seems to be the one thing that is highly recommended.

PK, thanks for the forum link too.

I purchased the Maritime bark in the form of Pycnogenol from a compounding pharmacy. It was so expensive. I did a bit of research and realised that they had likely ordered it from iherb (as I had to wait for it to come in) then charged me double the price. I was using it for human use so you would need to check dosages with your vet. Personally I would go for a proper suppliment over a homeopathic solution. Have also sent you a PM.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, I totally forgot to update this thread, it's been a bit chaotic around here lately.:o

I ended up opting for the surgery after speaking to the vet, and having the lump removed on the 15th of last month. I figured it was going to have to come off sooner than later, just the size and position it was in wasn't good, it was starting to bother her as it continued to grow.

Surgery went well (other than leaking poop all over my bed that night, eww) she came home with a full leg bandage, meds & a mega vets bill ...but the good news is the biopsy showed it was a Spindle Cell Tumor, so a low grade with no signs of penetrating into surrounding tissues and it seems that they have it all.

I read the 2 page pathology report, but that's the basic result and mostly what the vet said, it's GOOD news and if your dog is going to have cancer, this is a good one to have. (low grade, low percentage to metastasize etc)

She's had several bandage changes, 2 weeks of anti-biotics and the bandage off and a cone on for a week, with stitches left in for an extra week because the wound was a bit moist.

Off to the vets today to get them out and hopefully get rid of the cone, but maybe they will want it on for another week.

She has about 3 or 4 other very small moveable lumps in various places, none have changed size or shape and so they are being left but kept an eye on obviously.

She's been so good with it all, and it was a bit of a worry because she's quite a fearful dog and I didn't think she would cope so well, but lots of treats and plenty of praises of "good girl" has made it much better.

Thanks for asking Corrie, apologies for not coming in and updating, my brain has been mush lately. :laugh:

Edited by Cazablanca

................... my brain has been mush lately. :laugh:

What a great result (not about your brain). :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can understand the brain, though, as I am feeling a bit like that too.

Amazing how some dogs cope and hopefully this will be the last of ops for your girl.

Thanks DDD, we definitely needed good news, it's been quite sad around here lately, my very good friend has had more health problems, and then their mum passed away unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago.

And my faithful little old dog (16, going on 17) is going to be booked in next week to be pts, if he doesn't go on his own before then. His little body is worn out, and I can see it's his time to go.

Why can't they stay forever :cry:

Thanks DDD, we definitely needed good news, it's been quite sad around here lately, my very good friend has had more health problems, and then their mum passed away unexpectedly a couple of weeks ago.

And my faithful little old dog (16, going on 17) is going to be booked in next week to be pts, if he doesn't go on his own before then. His little body is worn out, and I can see it's his time to go.

Why can't they stay forever :cry:

Ohh, Caz. So sorry to hear that. :(

Thanks ladies, it is really hard making that decision, but even harder to watch them become a shell of their former self. Old age/doggy dementia is a bitch.

He'll be doing lots of his two favorite things (which is really only eating & being/sleeping next to me these days) so I've got a few kilos of mince, his favorite yoghurt which he loves, and of course wet cat food, because he loves stealing that, basically just little bits of food a dozen times a day and he's happy. He's always been a little piggy with his food though, and the best ever dog, always happy, nothing bothered him, always a waggy tail. That's how I want to remember him.

Thanks ladies, it is really hard making that decision, but even harder to watch them become a shell of their former self. Old age/doggy dementia is a bitch.

He'll be doing lots of his two favorite things (which is really only eating & being/sleeping next to me these days) so I've got a few kilos of mince, his favorite yoghurt which he loves, and of course wet cat food, because he loves stealing that, basically just little bits of food a dozen times a day and he's happy. He's always been a little piggy with his food though, and the best ever dog, always happy, nothing bothered him, always a waggy tail. That's how I want to remember him.

Sounds a wonderful, loving plan, Cazablanca.

it's the pits isn't it Caz,

old dogs...it's just day by day

:hug: