French Bulldog Causing Carnage

Jackie77

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest crazydoglady99

Please please just know that it is not your fault. You are not responsible for making her like this.

I hope you find a solution.

I have just communicated with the breeder who is not willing to take her back. I got her from this website from the adult page. I just want the best for this dog, if that means holding onto to her and putting in the effort that we physically have time for I will. However am starting to wonder if it's a doable task. Am also starting to see what everyone else saw and that is - the breeder passing on this poor dog because of her issues. Feel like a bit of a sucker right now!!!

Don't feel bad. The reason we commented like that was because you are not the first person to get into a situation like this. We have just seen it before.

Also I wouldn't be too quick to say that the breeder passed on the dog because of the issues. If the breeder was keeping the dogs in kennels/runs then there wouldn't have been a problem - nothing to destroy and no need of house training.

If you can't be there to house train her and she keeps getting out my suggestion would be a secure run for during the times you aren't home.

Edited by JulesP

Secure run for now. Spend what time you can teaching her the rules. It won't happen overnight, but you will get there.smile.gif

One thing that you need to remember is that if she has always been in outdoor runs, then she won't be totally stressed out by not being allowed free run of the place. You are probably more upset about it than she is.

If you really, really can't cope with the idea of a part-time kennel dog, there are breed specific rescues with full-time foster carers that could take her on.

You now what I wouldn't take no for an answer ,you are going to spend above and beyond for what you have paid for her and the training help you will need to make her an adjusted dog .

You will be outlining the $$$ and time in a dog that the breeder obviously couldn't give a toss about and should take back .

Sorry this has happened we have rehomed older dogs and they go on a trial run with a written contract ,taking it back if not suitable is just the moral thing to do

You now what I wouldn't take no for an answer ,you are going to spend above and beyond for what you have paid for her and the training help you will need to make her an adjusted dog .

You will be outlining the $$$ and time in a dog that the breeder obviously couldn't give a toss about and should take back .

Sorry this has happened we have rehomed older dogs and they go on a trial run with a written contract ,taking it back if not suitable is just the moral thing to do

...read first post: ...the OP 'was warned about the issues'...it seems the OP got enough advice about the potential consequences that came with the buy...you can only lead a camel to water...

Hey, i'm so sorry the breeder has done this to you.

Mine was kept in a kennel run too, but have to say inside she is great, because she went into the home to whelp,may have helped that. She has been so good inside, no accidents ( but i take her out alot and she wee's on command now), and she loves her crate.She is also very snuggly and will be cuddled endlesssly!

But you don't seem to have any good bits happening, so i undertand how you feel, at least i had something positive to hang onto.

I would perhaps decide if you are up for it, if not contact some good rescues and see what they think.

I think an outside run would be the way to go, then when you are there you can instill boundries.

I found routine helped alot as its what they are used to, she now has free for all and its too much all at once.

Hey, i'm so sorry the breeder has done this to you.

Mine was kept in a kennel run too, but have to say inside she is great, because she went into the home to whelp,may have helped that. She has been so good inside, no accidents ( but i take her out alot and she wee's on command now), and she loves her crate.She is also very snuggly and will be cuddled endlesssly!

But you don't seem to have any good bits happening, so i undertand how you feel, at least i had something positive to hang onto.

I would perhaps decide if you are up for it, if not contact some good rescues and see what they think.

I think an outside run would be the way to go, then when you are there you can instill boundries.

I found routine helped alot as its what they are used to, she now has free for all and its too much all at once.

...the breeder has done this????...if I buy a car and the seller discloses all the flaws and warns me about the consequences, but I still insist to buy, I can't blame the seller for selling me a lemon...

But we don't know if the breeder actually disclosed the problem in its full light. To be honest I doesn't seem the breeder cares much about the dog to not take it back as any breeder worth their salt would take a dog back in the first few months.

But we don't know if the breeder actually disclosed the problem in its full light. To be honest I doesn't seem the breeder cares much about the dog to not take it back as any breeder worth their salt would take a dog back in the first few months.

...if a buyer claims ... 'I can't take her back, problem is I love her to the moon'...and this 'love' fades away because the buyer underestimates the hard work and associated costs that have to go into training - despite being warned about the issues - I can't see that this is the breeder's fault.

...read first post: ...the OP 'was warned about the issues'...it seems the OP got enough advice about the potential consequences that came with the buy...you can only lead a camel to water...

I can read & if the read the thread you will now my posts :confused:

I don't care what the OP was warned about any moral breeder would take the dog back .finding a home for your problem shouldn't be shut the door in your face see ya later .

If a breeder loves there dog & knowingly placed out an issue they should be supporting & ensuring all is settling .

Maybe your the type that would place out something with an issue & not care i guess some of us arent

The fact that they don't want their dog back says it all.

When i was fostering i would take any dog back, regardless, and i was there for backup everytime, and i didn't even breed them!

Edited by juice

The breeder should be providing support and should absolutely take the dog back if it isn't working out.

The bitch should also have been desexed prior to rehoming as a pet!

On that note - if she is on heat leaving her free roaming in the back yard is not the best idea. Dogs clear fences all the time.

I would get her a dog run, put it on concrete or put pavers etc down. Put lots of things in there for her to destroy/play with. If you can and she doesnt shred it, put down some fake turf to try and get her to toilet on that - put attractants etc on it.

Also I wouldn't be too quick to say that the breeder passed on the dog because of the issues. If the breeder was keeping the dogs in kennels/runs then there wouldn't have been a problem - nothing to destroy and no need of house training.

I totally agree with this.

Both dogs we've had, that showed separation anxiety after they came from breeders as adults, were not kept or made familiar with being in & out of a house. They were familiar with kennels, runs & free running on secure rural properties. Given they came from large (tho' well cared for) groups of dogs, they didn't have the socialization experience of a close relationship with 'their' person, who came & went from a house they shared.

The UQ behaviourist vet explained that this can make a dog, getting such close attention for the first time in its life, literally overdose on this lovely, lovely contact & attention. She said our sheltie, by ripping the chair soft furnishings to pieces when left home alone, was actually demanding this lovely, lovely close attention all the time. And why the chair cushions & seats? They had our scents on it... the demand behaviour was directed towards us.

The training guidelines she gave us then made sense. They taught Shelley, she couldn't demand anything (which included attention), what good things she got came from our decisions & she had to obey a direction first to get them. So obedience training was vital. There was more, too.... like leaving 'approved' things with her that we'd transferred our scent on. We had to do it all consistently, & she came good.

BUT she did have a temperament that was reactive & she wanted to dominate. So, as an earlier poster said, in-born temperament tendencies count, too! Another dog with a different temperament could come from the same background as Shelley, but not develop separation anxiety.

Your French Bulldog might not be exactly the same as Shelley....like Shelley never tried to run away or escape. But there's nothing like getting an assessment & guidance from someone qualified.

Edited by mita

Maybe your the type that would place out something with an issue & not care i guess some of us arent

I'm the type who tries to avoid reinforcing unwanted behaviour...

So you are the type to ignore the plight of an animal you once owned to prove a point?

I'm the type who tries to avoid reinforcing unwanted behaviour...

So you are the type to ignore the plight of an animal you once owned to prove a point?

there no plights associated with animals I own as I try to avoid reinforcing unwanted behaviour...sorry, can't help you further if you don't understand what the bolded text means...

Eta:...and I adopt this attitude for animals and humans...

Edited by Willem

Update!!

We sought some advice and even went down the medication path but it was not necessary in the end. I can't quite believe this but she has settled right down. She really appreciates her crate (left open at all times) and is content in the yard. She is even travelling well in the car (can't take her around other dogs yet as still on heat).

Anyhow, I feel like shouting it from the rooftops! and I am just so happy for her! I can't put it down to any one thing but...she does like her walk in the morning, the safety of her crate (always open) and some very very strong boundaries.

I contacted the breeder to tell her of this but didn't hear back.

Willem - I wasn't told of the magnitude of her issues nor do I think the breeder knew of the extent perhaps...I was told she was standoffish with some people and did not travel in the car without defecating and vomiting. In any case she has settled (with hard work) and is showing improvement. We are still managing her environment.

I just want to say I took on all your advice on here and it has helped loads and I am really grateful I could come here and seek advice! thank you so much everyone!

Jackie

Guest crazydoglady99

Oh my goodness!! I was thinking of you yesterday hoping for an update!!

EXCELLENT update!

Soooo pleased to hear things are improving.

Highly commend you for sticking it out - hope improvements continue:)