Very Dry Skin

giraffez

My dog has very dry skin in the tummy area. I put loads of conditioner on it but it doesnt help. I also give him flax seed oil every second day. The skin is so dry it has white lines.

Is there any moituriser/lotion I can apply? will paw paw cream help?

Thanks

My allergy dog has dry skin. Apart from adding omega oils to his diet, our dermatologist vet recommended using QV (human) products available from most pharmacies.

I only wash him with QV wash and give him a final rinse of QV bath oil diluted with water. I also spray his coat after walks with a solution of QV bath oil and water. I mix up 10ml of bath oil to every 400mls of water in a spray bottle.

Conditioner wont do anything & if your not washing it all out in can make the skin flaky/dry .

Depends what your feeding & keep in mind the oil generally just hangs at the bottom of the bowl we suggest powder which they eat more & doesn't stick in there beards

Conditioner wont do anything & if your not washing it all out in can make the skin flaky/dry .

Depends what your feeding & keep in mind the oil generally just hangs at the bottom of the bowl we suggest powder which they eat more & doesn't stick in there beards

I'm guessing the OP means something like aloveen leave in conditioner which is recommended to be slathered onto dry skin and left on. It worked wonders on our dog.

I third adfing fish oil or similar to his diet.

My allergy dog has dry skin. Apart from adding omega oils to his diet, our dermatologist vet recommended using QV (human) products available from most pharmacies.

I only wash him with QV wash and give him a final rinse of QV bath oil diluted with water. I also spray his coat after walks with a solution of QV bath oil and water. I mix up 10ml of bath oil to every 400mls of water in a spray bottle.

Thanks all.

Trinabean i'm glad you mentioned this because this was what i was thinking. I think i'm going to use QV next time when i give him a bath. The shampoo i'm using at the moment is Dr Oz, its all natural and ph balanced. How about the QV moisturiser, that is quite moisturising too, can that be used? Does the QV bath oil help, I may give that a go, that that fragrant?

Yeah the conditioner is the aloveen. He used to get dandruff on his back after a bath, he doesn't get it anymore, but the tummy area is very dry and i think this is why he is constantly scratching.

I'm sure he ingested most of the oil, his bowl is squeaky clean everytime, so i'm not too worried, it could stick to the beard but i think only minimal. The only thing i'm worried about is he is a mini schnauzer as as such prone to pancreatitis so I don't want to give him too much oil. He is good weight at the moment. He is already on flax seed oil and i sometimes put good quality olive oil in his food. Would fish oil be better than flax seed oil (using fourflax)? I give him sardines twice a week and his food is salmon kibbles (taste of the wild). I add bananas and sweet potato as fillers.

He lies on the floor - mainly carpet, tile or grass. Sometimes concrete. I'm not wiping down his tummy with anything like baby wipes.

Thank you all again.

Edited by giraffez

Thanks all.

Trinabean i'm glad you mentioned this because this was what i was thinking. I think i'm going to use QV next time when i give him a bath. The shampoo i'm using at the moment is Dr Oz, its all natural and ph balanced. How about the QV moisturiser, that is quite moisturising too, can that be used? Does the QV bath oil help, I may give that a go, that that fragrant?

Yeah the conditioner is the aloveen. He used to get dandruff on his back after a bath, he doesn't get it anymore, but the tummy area is very dry and i think this is why he is constantly scratching.

I'm sure he ingested most of the oil, his bowl is squeaky clean everytime, so i'm not too worried, it could stick to the beard but i think only minimal. The only thing i'm worried about is he is a mini schnauzer as as such prone to pancreatitis so I don't want to give him too much oil. He is good weight at the moment. He is already on flax seed oil and i sometimes put good quality olive oil in his food. Would fish oil be better than flax seed oil (using fourflax)? I give him sardines twice a week and his food is salmon kibbles (taste of the wild). I add bananas and sweet potato as fillers.

He lies on the floor - mainly carpet, tile or grass. Sometimes concrete. I'm not wiping down his tummy with anything like baby wipes.

Thank you all again.

another to try would be dr zoo shampoo. I used this on my itchy dog and its really helped with his skin.

Hemp oil may be worth looking into- its got a really good ratio between omega 3 + 6 :)

The QV products are fragrance-free and suitable for people with skin conditions such as eczema. I've taken to buying the bulk packs as one of my kids has eczema and can't use soap. Yes, I do think it's helped my dog's dry skin though. And it's mainly what's been working for him as I've had to stop giving fish oil lately. He does get a blend of omega 3, 6 and 9 already in his dry food though (Natural Balance Delicate Care- skin and stomach blend). I haven't used the QV moisturiser as i think my dog would just lick it off. Actually I know he would. laugh.gif

It does sound as though your dog's diet is pretty good and contains plenty of fish oil, between the salmon kibble and sardines.

The other topical oil our Dermatologist recommended was PAW Essential 6 oil spot on. It's a blend of safe essential oils and emollients that you apply to the dogs neck/shoulder after a bath. It spreads over the skin and coat and moisturises it. Smells divine too. Cheapest to buy it online though.

The QV products are fragrance-free and suitable for people with skin conditions such as eczema. I've taken to buying the bulk packs as one of my kids has eczema and can't use soap. Yes, I do think it's helped my dog's dry skin though. And it's mainly what's been working for him as I've had to stop giving fish oil lately. He does get a blend of omega 3, 6 and 9 already in his dry food though (Natural Balance Delicate Care- skin and stomach blend). I haven't used the QV moisturiser as i think my dog would just lick it off. Actually I know he would. laugh.gif

It does sound as though your dog's diet is pretty good and contains plenty of fish oil, between the salmon kibble and sardines.

The other topical oil our Dermatologist recommended was PAW Essential 6 oil spot on. It's a blend of safe essential oils and emollients that you apply to the dogs neck/shoulder after a bath. It spreads over the skin and coat and moisturises it. Smells divine too. Cheapest to buy it online though.

Thanks I just put in an order for the essential 6 .

I bath once every month. I know some will say i bath too often but he is an inside dog and he gets a bit too dirty for once every 6 months. towelled then blow dry.

Hi

I assume your dog is a mini schnauzer by your profile picture?

30 yrs of grooming many schnauzers with what we call 'schnauzer funk'. I have a few suggestions that are a bit off label but in my experience have produced results, in a few cases, unbelievable results where every pill and shampoo and topical cream had failed.

Absolutely first up look at diet. A clean fresh grain free diet as unprocessed as possible. Next supplement like oils and probiotics. And skin supplement like essential six

But here's where I get a bit controversial! If your dog has any dandruff, flaky skin, comedone bumps, yeasty issues, etc.......start with a twice weekly bath of Selsun Blue shampoo. Make sure it gets into every little nook and cranny like between toes, ear folds, lip folds, genital areas etc. make it up in a squeeze bottle with warm water and a good shake into a prediluted solution and soak the dry dog. (Instead of trying to disperse globs of shampoo through a pre wet coat. Let it soak for several minutes and rinse thoroughly. Then, rinse with plain white vinegar and don't rinse. Make sure you get the vinegar into all those nook and crannies too. The vinegar smell on the dog will dissipate quickly enough. Do this a couple of times a week for a few weeks and back off to once a fortnight over a few months. Do not use conditioner. If you are seeing results, keep using the Selsun Blue and use the vinegar rinse intermittently.

Keep using moisturiser on the dry belly if you need to.

I know it's a bit left of centre and off label. only you can choose whether to use this stuff, but I have used it on many yeasty funky skin dogs who have failed with everything else and had remarkable success.. A few dogs it changed nothing. In no dogs have I seen side effects.

You might not really think your dog is yeasty or funky but we see it over and over with so many schnauzers it creeps up slowly. A bit of flaky skin, a bit of yeasty ear, a flew infection, chewed feet, 'sweaty' armpits, dry skin, etc and slowly but surely it gets worse and worse

I've found the same to work well for yeasty poodles and spaniels and other terriers. It's hard to have the initial conversation with clients because it's an off label product. Some won't go for it, some will. All that have have been happy.

Edited by blinkblink

And skin supplement like essential six

But here's where I get a bit controversial! If your dog has any dandruff, flaky skin, comedone bumps, yeasty issues, etc.......start with a twice weekly bath of Selsun Blue shampoo. Make sure it gets into every little nook and cranny like between toes, ear folds, lip folds, genital areas etc. make it up in a squeeze bottle with warm water and a good shake into a prediluted solution and soak the dry dog. (Instead of trying to disperse globs of shampoo through a pre wet coat. Let it soak for several minutes and rinse thoroughly. Then, rinse with plain white vinegar and don't rinse. Make sure you get the vinegar into all those nook and crannies too. The vinegar smell on the dog will dissipate quickly enough. Do this a couple of times a week for a few weeks and back off to once a fortnight over a few months. Do not use conditioner. If you are seeing results, keep using the Selsun Blue and use the vinegar rinse intermittently.

I know it's a bit left of centre and off label. only you can choose whether to use this stuff, but I have used it on many yeasty funky skin dogs who have failed with everything else and had remarkable success.. A few dogs it changed nothing. In no dogs have I seen side effects.

You might not really think your dog is yeasty or funky but we see it over and over with so many schnauzers it creeps up slowly. A bit of flaky skin, a bit of yeasty ear, a flew infection, chewed feet, 'sweaty' armpits, dry skin, etc and slowly but surely it gets worse and worse

Thank you for sharing this. Yes my dog is a mini schnauzer. He doesn't have yeast, just a super dry tummy.

How long do i need to apply the essential 6 oils? I've just ordered some. I brought the one for large dogs for a couple dollars more hoping I can use one pipette and split it across 2 weeks. I hope it keeps okay.

I just googled Selsun Blue shampoo, is this shampoo for humans? Just out of curiosity, how did you come up with the vinegar rinse? very interesting! But wouldn't vinegar dry out the skin even more as vinegar is quite strong, does it need diluting? Would the frequent rinse dry his skin even further?

What moisturiser do you use? QV?

Thanks

I also have a dog (supposed to be a schnauzer x but I think she is a Heinzer) with dry skin and this thread is very interesting. She is just finishing a course of prednil and I want to keep her off it if I can so I am trying so hard to get it right this time. I have decided that her problem is probably a contact issue because it is mainly on her tummy. I am thinking it might be wool (bedding) or the carpet and I am wondering if that might be the case for other posters also. After reading this thread I bought some QV moisturiser yesterday and it does seem to have helped. She didn't scratch last night and she is still quite calm. The QV moisturiser was quickly absorbed. If you put it on before going for a walk by the time you get home it will be completely absorbed and the dog will leave it alone. I have also made sure all her bedding is cotton and I use a fabric conditioner when I wash it. I think the carpet might also be an issue for her and I note the OP says that her dog sleeps on carpet. My carpet is quite new and it is nylon and my dog's problems have worsened since I got it. The carpet will be staying but I have put cotton covered beds in strategic places to stop her lying on it. I have also tinkered with her diet but it is too soon to say how that is going because she is just off her prednil. I also thought about using the QV oil mix as a spray as Trinabean suggested but I don't understand how you can mix an oil with water. They won't blend.

Thanks OP for the wonderful and for me timely thread.

Hi

I assume your dog is a mini schnauzer by your profile picture?

30 yrs of grooming many schnauzers with what we call 'schnauzer funk'. I have a few suggestions that are a bit off label but in my experience have produced results, in a few cases, unbelievable results where every pill and shampoo and topical cream had failed.

Absolutely first up look at diet. A clean fresh grain free diet as unprocessed as possible. Next supplement like oils and probiotics. And skin supplement like essential six

I've found the same to work well for yeasty poodles and spaniels and other terriers. It's hard to have the initial conversation with clients because it's an off label product. Some won't go for it, some will. All that have have been happy.

Ooh, that's interesting about the Selsun Blue Blinkblink. I'll probably stick with my regime because everything is stable for Bruno at the moment, but this will be useful info for a friend who has an itchy miniature Schnauzer. And what a good idea to mix up a solution of shampoo and water in a squeeze bottle, thanks!

I also thought about using the QV oil mix as a spray as Trinabean suggested but I don't understand how you can mix an oil with water. They won't blend.

Hi Sarspididious, I'm not sure how/why but it does blend. It's a bath oil that mixes to a milky colour throughout the water (I use it in the bath for my eczema prone son). So it has something in it to disperse the oil. I do shake up the spray bottle just before using it on my dog though. It re-mixes easily. smile.gif

I also thought about using the QV oil mix as a spray as Trinabean suggested but I don't understand how you can mix an oil with water. They won't blend.

Hi Sarspididious, I'm not sure how/why but it does blend. It's a bath oil that mixes to a milky colour throughout the water (I use it in the bath for my eczema prone son). So it has something in it to disperse the oil. I do shake up the spray bottle just before using it on my dog though. It re-mixes easily. smile.gif

Thanks, I've mixed some of the oil with water and it is milky as you said.

Timely thread, and plenty of new tips... Grabbed a bottle of Selsun blue tonight :)

I've been using the QV oil diluted, as well as Alpha Keri lotion, following our dermatologist vet recommendations.

Re bedding, what do you use Sarspididious? I'm not sure the bedding itself is to blame, or dust mites (actually living in bedding, carpets etc). But I like the idea of switching to cotton, or some sort of more natural fibres. 6 dog beds here, covered in fleece blankets that are washed weekly. I like that they're cheap, and wash and dry quickly but they might not be ideal, so I'd be keen to try something better.

If you suspect dust mites, wash their bedding at a minimum of 60 degrees celcius if you aren't already. While washing helps, heat is needed to kill the mites. The beds and/or covers would also need washing, not just the blankets. (I have a bad dust mite allergy.)