Getting Weight Onto A Super Skinny Dog

Hi,

Just after some ideas to help put on weight onto a supper skinny Blue Kelpie X. I got him from the pound to use as a working dog on my farm, no dramas with his working ability but no matter what or how much I feed him he is still skin and bone and if anything getting worse (like you can see every rib and his hip bones). I've had him to two different vets and wormed him and nothing obviously wrong health wise. Any ideas or recipes.

Vanessa

You need to feed him 4 or 5 smaller meals per day. Don't leave him with food, he needs to eat small meals.

Puppy food is more nourishing and what many rescuers use for very thin younger dogs.

It should take a while to get the weight on, can't be done too quickly. Also, if possible, restrict the ability to exercise if the dog is very active, rest in a crate at night etc. Don't take on long walks for the first couple of weeks - could be hard with a working breed though.

Some dogs can take a while, Jerry took ages to get any weight onto him and our dog Dodge literally took a year to fill out.

We feed meals for mutts kibble with the occasional tuna/sardines/egg mixed in. You can also drizzle olive oil on.

Sorry in advance, this isn't an interrogation. embarrass.gif

Are you resting him or is he still working?

Are you rugging him in the cold?

Is he desexed?

How old is he?

What are you feeding already?

What is his coat and skin like? eg dry, flaky, dull, scabby, itchy, thin, moth-eaten, brittle ...

(This could also be a good thread for Perse to see?)

he may not have had much a) exercise b) food to build up muscle . Also he may not have matured yet?

I will also ask exactly what he is being fed - and all that stuf :) It helps us to get a background.

Did the vets do blood/faecal testing?

may we see a photo ?

We have a hard working Koolie who sheds & gains weight on a daily basis - he is hard to keep looking 'respectable' ;) he is really healthy...... fit as all get out , muscly and bright eyed ...

With Mr.Wiggles, though, I KNOW his breeding , and his activity levels etc - with a pound rescue, that's hard ... he may even have some sight hound in him , which could mean he can easily be lean ...?

Hope to hear more from you soon , so we can try helping :)

Thanks for the responses, some more info as requested

Photo attached and yes I appoligise he does look terrible!!

Are you resting him or is he still working? - resting (mostly 'cos he still needs more training) though have taken him out but kept him on the quad bike; I've got him in a small run on his own 'cos he didn't seem to like being in with other dogs; through he gets let out for a run in the evenings with the other dogs (and does hoon around).

Are you rugging him in the cold?- yep coat on (though he does tend to kill coats) and have been bringing him at night

Is he desexed?- yes

How old is he?- not sure, vet thought probably around two or three

What is his coat and skin like?- yeah some issues there, skins actually not too bad but he's got lots of bald patches; skin scrape found no mites but have been washing him weekly with Malaseb anyway

What are you feeding already?-morning 1 cup pedagree working, two 2x4 biscuits plus some stuffed kongs; night 1 1/2 cup pedagree working, some yoghurt, some kangaroo (or lamb or beef if anythings been killed or died).

Vanessa

post-6608-0-09675600-1465988951_thumb.jpg

I've been making an adaption of this "satin balls" - not sure why they're called that but basically super nutrient food balls

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0cib614kk4qvzqi/Satin%20balls%20uk%20recipe.pdf?fb=1&fb_action_ids=10152751699505282&fb_action_types=dropboxdropbox%3Aadd&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210152751699505282%22%3A399470373484411%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210152751699505282%22%3A%22dropboxdropbox%3Aadd%22%7D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D

What's his manner like? Is he particularly nervous? My dog drops weight when she's nervous. Or cold. Or gets more exercise.

*edit* oh and I mix puppy food in too, when I want weight gain. Puppy food really helps!

Edited by Thistle the dog

Are you resting him or is he still working? - resting (mostly 'cos he still needs more training) though have taken him out but kept him on the quad bike; I've got him in a small run on his own 'cos he didn't seem to like being in with other dogs; through he gets let out for a run in the evenings with the other dogs (and does hoon around).

Are you rugging him in the cold?- yep coat on (though he does tend to kill coats) and have been bringing him at night

Is he desexed?- yes

What is his coat and skin like?- yeah some issues there, skins actually not too bad but he's got lots of bald patches; skin scrape found no mites but have been washing him weekly with Malaseb anyway

What are you feeding already?-morning 1 cup pedagree working, two 2x4 biscuits plus some stuffed kongs; night 1 1/2 cup pedagree working, some yoghurt, some kangaroo (or lamb or beef if anythings been killed or died).

Vanessa

I think he needs more food than he is being given and perhaps use some puppy food. I'd recommend moving to 4 meals per day, every 3 hours if possible (this isn't easy for me when i'm working so i get up at 6am and do a meal then, then again before i leave at 8.30, when i get home and then at bedtime. If he's outside in the cold this would also use up his energy, this one sounds like a challenge but i'm sure you'll get there.

Is he desexed?- yes

Vanessa

...was the skin sample taken before or after washing?...if it was taken after washing it could be still demodex / mange - they can survive in the follicles ...or could be even scabies (negative scraping does not rule out sarcoptic mange). ...

Lovely colour :) That skin doesn't look comfortable ... but a good diet , with fats & oils should help.

Ok - The food he's getting is not great quality :( Swap the 4X2's for a chicken carcase , maybe ?

I second 3 or 4 smaller , more calorie dense meals :)

Stuff like chicken skin , a shelled raw whole egg a day , and lots of fresh meat/soft bone . lamb & beef in particular are not as lean as roo . use necks/brisket /flaps /pelvis & spine .

Currently we are trying this out - DOG Pro and it seems to be OK . yes, there are MUCH better foods available ..but this suits our budget - doesn't swell up like some kibble , and is very well tolerated by all our dogs . For our skinnier dogs , they get extra real egg , some household left overs ( puddings/ gravies/ pasta) plus LOTS of fresh meat /soft bone .

Has he had a check-up at the vets? One of my dogs became very skinny and it turned out she had kidney failure. Fortunately she came right after treatment and a special diet. I think you would be wise to take your dog to the vet for blood tests because it sounds like more than diet to me, especially as you say he is getting worse.

Has he had a check-up at the vets? One of my dogs became very skinny and it turned out she had kidney failure. Fortunately she came right after treatment and a special diet. I think you would be wise to take your dog to the vet for blood tests because it sounds like more than diet to me, especially as you say he is getting worse.

yes- a vet checkup is one thing - a thorough examination , incl blood tests for everything is another - and HIGHLY recommended before playing around with diet ...

The only way to find out how his body is actually working , and some of how he is processing his food is to get bloods done .

Drove 2 and a half hours to take him to a city vet recommended by the RSPCA who helps with their neglect cases; bloods fine and again no sign of mites - the vet suspects the lack of fur might be stress combined with the blue colour gene.

Came up with a diet plan through the vet; likley to be a long slow process but he should get there.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Vanessa

Drove 2 and a half hours to take him to a city vet recommended by the RSPCA who helps with their neglect cases; bloods fine and again no sign of mites - the vet suspects the lack of fur might be stress combined with the blue colour gene.

Came up with a diet plan through the vet; likley to be a long slow process but he should get there.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Vanessa

Just wondering how he's going on the new regime ?

• 3 weeks later...

Moving in the right direction. He is also getting more comfortable at home; I believe he'd been in and out of a few different pounds so coming to a farm with seven other dogs probably wasn't initially ideal so hopefully he'll keep improving as his headspace gets better.

Vanessa