Benny (De Angelo) 25 Feb 2005 - 17 June 2016

Brandiandwe

Today we gave Benny his wings.

Many of you know that he came to us two years ago as a rescue, co-ordinated by a group of us here on DOL. He was in pretty poor shape when he arrived, but his love and affection, and joy in life were obvious from the start. It was also obvious that, while he'd taken a long way round, he was always meant to be with us.

Over the past six weeks or so, we have been trying to manage degenerative muscle wastage. Sadly, this week the process accelerated beyond our ability to manage it successfully, and we made the very difficult decision to send him home before we lost the cheeky, loving, sparky guy we love so much. He was gradually losing his enjoyment in life, and he told me clearly on Wednesday that he was ready to go.

He left us at home, surrounded by his pack, and held by my husband and I. It was peaceful and calm, and he will be returned to us next week.

I miss him already.

We were fortunate in having the very talented Ffiona Erskine take a photo of him less than a month ago. It captures the dog we know and love so much. (This is photo heavy. Apologies!)

FFiona%201%20may%202016_zpspzaqdyg4.jpg

Oh Brandiandwe, I often wonder how Benny was going, he is the image of our late old girl. So sorry to hear that his health had deteriorated. But he was such a lucky boy to have found you, your husband and the greys. He lived out his life surrounded by love. ???? That is such a beautiful photo.

Edited by JayGee

Oh no!!! What a hole his passing will leave in your lives. :cry: :cry: Benny could not have wished for a better home for this past couple of years - full of love, fun, interest, companionship and total and absolute consideration for his needs, both physical and emotional.

A wonderful dog who found himself in a wonderful home.

:rainbowbridge: Benny.

Im so very sorry for your loss. Benny was beautiful. What a terrific photo that is. what a lucky boy to be rescued and come to you. You did good :)

Many hugs. I know all too well the sadness of saying goodbye, and also the time leading up to it.

He will be part of you forever.

RIP Bennie