Bulk Buy Suggestions

Which dry dog food would everyone recommend? I'm a lab breeder and have four large dogs to feed along with the occasional litter. We are along way from our nearest shopping district (2 1/2 hr round trip just to get to Coles) and even there I can only get supermarket brands. I'm looking at joining the breeders club of one of the brands where you can order online and get discounts and delivery. It is impossible for me to feed raw as we are on generator power with a small gas fridge that barely fits all the human food. So dry kibble is the dogs main diet along with meaty bones on shopping days and bits and pieces (eggs, yoghurt etc) a few times a week. None of the dogs have ever reacted to any food and will eat just about anything in true lab style ????.

Bush river first up I'm a 'dyed in the wool' raw feeder - who only feeds dry in dire emergencies (there's a westie revolt here if that happens!).

But... if I'm forced to buy dry and need a cheaper brand, the VIP Grain Free from the supermarket was fine and very cost effective. I used to buy mine at Woolies so don't know if Coles stock it. The other one I used was Black Hawk but my westie girl got very itchy on it but I believe they now have a grain free and they'll send out free samples for you to try.

The other one I'm hearing good reports about is Ivory Coat which you buy online and there seem to be many suppliers in WA - but haven't tried it myself.

There also was a brand of working dog dry food that country people seemed to swear by - you could buy it cheaply in huge bags from stock supplier places - can't remember the name - but will come back with it if I can find it or Perse might know if she pops along.

Lastly theres a new brand that appears to have popped up - 'Stay Loyal' - Australian made and owned and offer free delivery but have no idea what its like. But their website suggests its selling well and they'll send samples too as long as you pay the postage.

Hope that helps.

Edited by westiemum

When you order and the food is "delivered to your door" just make sure that it will actually be delivered to your house and not to the nearest Post Office or depot.

We have this problem because Australia Post and some other courier services will not deliver to country areas even though we are not that far from town.

I find that it is easier to go to the pet shop about once a month and get all I need and bring it home myself - the only problem is that you need a good vermin proof place to store it.

Edited by JRG

Would it be worth your while taking a trailer into your largest centre and buying up big every 6 months or so?

I'd say something with a stupidly long shelf life like Ziwipeak - but I can't imagine what that would cost to feed full time to one foxie, let alone 4 large dogs.

I can get the breeder discount online, which is one main reason to got his route. It gets delivered to the nearest depo which is fine as they're used to this and call me when it arrives. The one I'm on now is just as expensive as the other premium brands if not more, but isn't very highly rated so hoping to get better value on something else.

Everyone is going to tell you different food and then other people are going to come in and say that food is crap. And a bunch of people are going to say don't feed kibble EVER.

:rofl:

Would it kill you to use the spoiler tags? :mad

:p

Seriously though..yeah, pretty much. What works for one person might not work for another.

I'd just pick whatever suits you best in terms of price for quality and give it a go. If it's not working after a month or so, try something else.

Everyone is going to tell you different food and then other people are going to come in and say that food is crap. And a bunch of people are going to say don't feed kibble EVER.

Seriously though..yeah, pretty much. What works for one person might not work for another.

I'd just pick whatever suits you best in terms of price for quality and give it a go. If it's not working after a month or so, try something else.

You guys crack me up :laugh: If you've got dogs with a cast iron constitution see who will give you the best deal. Artemis suits my Dally really well so my Springers get it, as do my puppies. However one of mine looks great on anything - as long as it's without corn - so she eats all the winnings...Royal Canin, Advance, Holistic Select, Pro-plan and various high-performance foods.

You guys crack me up :laugh: If you've got dogs with a cast iron constitution see who will give you the best deal. Artemis suits my Dally really well so my Springers get it, as do my puppies. However one of mine looks great on anything - as long as it's without corn - so she eats all the winnings...Royal Canin, Advance, Holistic Select, Pro-plan and various high-performance foods.

Make that two!! Mac had an absolute cast iron stomach - he'd eat anything and sniff out his favourite blue cheese at 500 paces! Never one off day from his beloved food in his very long life!!! My Sarah is different - she really needs grain free and has been known to get very itchy on dry.

Edited by westiemum

while our BC is not fussy regarding eating different kibbles, I could recognize that if I feed kibbe with grain the poos became more runny...tried it multiple times, every time the same result....so ended up with VIP grain-free and Applaws grain-free... always buy it at Woolworth when it's on sale. (In addition to the kibble I feed all kind of chicken parts, turkey necks, briskets and kangaroo meat).

But labs are different animals :) ...considering that they can eat food (?) that would easily kill other dogs / breeds they might thrive on less quality food.

• 1 month later...

Which dry dog food would everyone recommend? I'm a lab breeder and have four large dogs to feed along with the occasional litter. We are along way from our nearest shopping district (2 1/2 hr round trip just to get to Coles) and even there I can only get supermarket brands. I'm looking at joining the breeders club of one of the brands where you can order online and get discounts and delivery. It is impossible for me to feed raw as we are on generator power with a small gas fridge that barely fits all the human food. So dry kibble is the dogs main diet along with meaty bones on shopping days and bits and pieces (eggs, yoghurt etc) a few times a week. None of the dogs have ever reacted to any food and will eat just about anything in true lab style ????.

At the Advance store you can buy 20kg bags for $99.99 with a minimum order of 2 bags and they are delivered free to your door

• 4 weeks later...