Vaccinations

tlc

I'm hoping someone can settle a dispute for me. I'm in discussions with a friend who's vet still vaccinates annually. She said they don't do three yearly as they did a survey in the community and the community still wanted yearly. (Go figure) I just said she could ask could her dogs be done three yearly but she thinks the three yearly vacc is different than the yearly one?? I just assumed they would be the same. Does anyone know?

Its slightly different perhaps it was a 'non active' ingredient but our old dog use to have a reaction to the yearly one but she handled the 3 yearly one a LOT better (annual create a huge lump behind her head at the injection site afterwards - when our vet changed to the other one for 3 years there were no lumps nothing). It was a while back but I think it was like getting a different brand of medication for people same thing but some react differently to the inert ingredients.

Im not sure BUT do now from a boarding kennel point of view some vets have given there clients a supposed 3 yrly & the sticker with the info on it will expire before 3 yrs .

We always insist the sticker provided by the manufacturers is always used as it has the batch number & expiry dats but many just do print outs

Im not sure BUT do now from a boarding kennel point of view some vets have given there clients a supposed 3 yrly & the sticker with the info on it will expire before 3 yrs .

We always insist the sticker provided by the manufacturers is always used as it has the batch number & expiry dats but many just do print outs

Isn't that simply the use by date of the vaccine...nothing to do with how long it is effective once injected, it is the dog's immune system which looks after that, surely?

We last vaccinated Scottie in Australia - with our family vet who was / is still doing annual vax and when we got to NZ & it was time to have him vaccinated according to our 12 month protocol our new kiwi vet was happy to just let him wait a further 2 years before "topping him up"

So it is - or can be the same vax...

It is the same vaccine.

how did you know that OP's question wasn't related to a vaccine regime considering a 3-yearly C5 shot in combination with a yearly parainfluenza shot respectively that she was only talking about a 'standard' C3 shot?

It is the same vaccine.

how did you know that OP's question wasn't related to a vaccine regime considering a 3-yearly C5 shot in combination with a yearly parainfluenza shot respectively that she was only talking about a 'standard' C3 shot?

How do you know that it was?

It is the same vaccine.

How do you know that it was?

where did I say that I would know?...I don't know and I still can't recognize from the first post which vaccination the thread is about...

Eta:...from kirty's answer I only assumed that it is about a C3 shot (whereat C3 formulations - like other - can vary widely wrt adjuvants or modified live viruses depending on product and brand, and I would assume that there is consequently a difference regarding whether they are labeled as yearly booster or 3-year vaccine.)

Edited by Willem

Some vaccine makers have gone to the trouble of having their vaccs researched so they can be called triennial. Some vaccine makers have not bothered. It is exactly the same vaccine except some are 'off label' for the triennial schedule.

My vet charges a lot more for the 3 year vaccine than the annual vaccine (probably about 3 x as much :laugh: ) and says it is different, although I thought it was the same vaccine and they had just changed the recommended schedule.

Willem don't make everything more complicated than it needs to be! I knew what she was asking, the post was pretty clear!

...I can't see that adding detailed information make things more complicated - complications are caused by lack of information and keen assumption.

My vet charges a lot more for the 3 year vaccine than the annual vaccine (probably about 3 x as much :laugh: ) and says it is different, although I thought it was the same vaccine and they had just changed the recommended schedule.

...the product can be different http://www.nobivac.ca/nobivac-canine-vaccines.asp ...e.g. Nobivac® Canine 1-DAPPv vs. Nobivac® Canine 3-DAPv (if we talk about the C3 shot)....but who wants to know really :) ?

You are paying for the research so the company can call it a triennial vaccine.

...the product can be different http://www.nobivac.ca/nobivac-canine-vaccines.asp ...e.g. Nobivac® Canine 1-DAPPv vs. Nobivac® Canine 3-DAPv (if we talk about the C3 shot)....but who wants to know really :) ?

The standard C3 vaccine is effective for at least 3 years. No need to pay more for some fancy relabelled C3.