Dry Food Recommendations?

Isabel964

Anyone here know their stuff on food for dogs? I did research about 15 years ago and landed on Royal Canin. I use that as dry food and mince fresh meat.

Recently someone told me that Royal Canin was imported and therefore was radiated or something like that. So I moved to Proplan - locally made, not radiated. But I have not done thorough research to find out what really is the best. I used to know what to look for on the ingredients lists but I don't know anymore.

Would love any advice from people who are in the know.

There are many ingredients to avoid in dog food. Look at things like Ivory Coat, BlackHawk, Earthborn Holistic, Canidae, Taste of the Wild to get some ideas of are considered to be good dog goods

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

There is no one 'best' food.

You should definitely look to one that has quality proteins and meat as the first few ingredients.

Grain or grain free, all have fillers.

The most important thing really is to CHANGE foods occasionally. The best way to prevent a dietary imbalance is to ensure food comes from a range of sources.

Dogfoodadvisor is good website for reviews provided you understand that they are not big fans of grain in dog foods.

I'm currently feeding Wellness.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

Royal Canin is not irradiated.

If in doubt, ask the companies behind a food - and look for any labelling saying "not suitable for cats" or "not to be fed to cats" as that is an AQIS requirement on irradiated products. There are still a lot of irradiated treats coming in but not aware of any food.

We look for a named meat or fish ingredient - salmon meal, chicken meal etc. If it just says salmon, it won't have been weighed after cooking so belongs further down the list. Some foods have salmon, followed by salmon meal (or whatever meat).

Personally, we avoid foods with wheat/corn/soy/beet pulp. Proplan has just changed their formula and seems to have added wheat to most varieties.

So many great options around now so depends upon your own doggie's needs. Ivory Coat, Taste of the Wild, Biopet Grain Free, Vets All Natural, and lots of other higher meat content foods are more readily available now.

Sags

I personally now feed raw, and am very happy with the results.

I LOVE ziwipeak, but it's so expensive. You may need a second mortgage to feed it full time :laugh: Others I have used in the past are earthborn, Sunday pets and taste of the wild :) They kept condition and coat health best on the earthborn of those three.

And heaps of things you can add on top of kibble too- so long as it isn't more than 10% per day as they say more than that unbalances it - yoghurt or kefir, sardines- fresh or canned, canned or fresh salmon, meaty bones, chicken wings, Turkey necks, grated veggies, cooked veggies, some fruits (not too many as they are high in sugar and can cause yeast overgrowth), meats, leftovers.

Edited by denali