Rescued Dogs Caged For Years

I also have had a dog PTS for aggression many years ago. He bit a child and I knew I would never trust him again and he would never leave my yard. I was also concerned that the police would come for him and I thought it was better for him to go in my arms than be held in a pound. Today I still wonder about the child that was bitten. He would now be a man and I hope he is okay and not damaged by what must have been traumatic for him.

My dog was a Dalmatian, a rescue from someone else who found him uncontrollable. While large he was not as big as a mastiff. A mastiff could do a lot of damage if it wanted to.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again not sure where this comes from that they are not being advertised, go to their facebook page and they are there, also most are on Petrescue, they have probably taken a couple down because of all this rubbish that is going on. All the dogs are still looking for homes but they need special homes as I have stated before and they won't just place them anywhere and as I have said before if you have applied for one they will answer you if you are suitable for that certain dog.

I thought 'no-kill' was not euthanising all dogs that were healthy, not dangerous and rehomeable. This dog can be euthanised for its own welfare and the shelter still fit in to 'no-kill'.

I thought 'no-kill' was not euthanising all dogs that were healthy, not dangerous and rehomeable. This dog can be euthanised for its own welfare and the shelter still fit in to 'no-kill'.

Yes that's how I understand it too. I know the large shelters cop a shellacking for euth rates but I have seen the consequences of some dogs adopted out that should NEVER have left - misery for dogs and owners alike.

Yes that's how I understand it too. I know the large shelters cop a shellacking for euth rates but I have seen the consequences of some dogs adopted out that should NEVER have left - misery for dogs and owners alike.

That's is what it's supposed to mean but it gets taken literally by the public and rescuers alike.

Yep, exactly. If a dog is not rehomable either medically or behaviourally then it can and should be put to sleep - and that still fits within the no kill model.

Of course it's a difficult decision to make that no one envies, but that is part of someone's role and responsibility when they become a rescuer. Hoarding a dog in a cage for almost it's entire natural term of life rather than make a difficult decision is not doing the right thing by the dog.

I've had to make those decisions during my time in rescue... and I've been the one holding them as they drift off. Sometimes it's just the kindest thing you can do for a dog with no rehoming prospects.

As for finding "the right home" for a large breed dog with aggression issues... it only takes one mistake for the new owners of that dog to have a very real problem on their hands... and that a HUGE ask from someone who is essentailly looking for a pet they can share their life with...

I'd seriously question anyone who was specifically looking for a dog with issues to adopt...

T.

Yes it is sad that she hasn't got a home as yet but that has never stop this group from trying to find a home but as you would understand it has to be the right home

Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. :)

Great post Scottsmum. Wish I could express myself so tactfully and thoughtfully.

Thanks Sars, only happens on the rare occasion - I promise :) Tact is not a word often associated with me :rofl:

I don't know. It's easy to say but how do you do it to a heathy dog who I assume believes she is at home and as far as she is concerned, has a whole lot of owners (might not be the best word). A kennel full of volunteers and staff who love her and spend time with her to make sure she is happy. I don't know. shrug.gif At what specific moment do you decide?

This is a good point - and to be honest she probably lives a nicer life than a few "pot plant dogs" I personally know (pot plant dogs being ones which do nothing but sit in the yard) however...

I don't know. It's easy to say but how do you do it to a heathy dog who I assume believes she is at home and as far as she is concerned, has a whole lot of owners (might not be the best word). A kennel full of volunteers and staff who love her and spend time with her to make sure she is happy. I don't know. shrug.gif At what specific moment do you decide?
As soon as it was obvious she had such aggression problems and wasn't rehomable.

100% agree with Rascal.

Anyhow - I think its clear how I feel about this. So I'll leave it at that.